Chevy Express brake lines

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scadwell

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced brake lines on a 2003 or newer chevy express? I'm in the middle of replacing the rear wheel to wheel line and from the splitter to the rear line on a 2007 Express. Pretty sure both lines are 1/4 inch. The fitting on the splitter under the driver's seat is a 1/2-20. The other three are not 1/2-20. I found fittings with the right threads but none with the right threads and that will fit on 1/4 brake line. If anyone has done these they probably know what I'm talking about. GM definitely didn't make it easy to service brake lines on the express, searching online looks like the Silverados are the same.

I finally found the right fittings online. I think starting in 03 is where you'll run into problems for chevy express brake lines. There are no pre bent kits for them. From what I gathered it wouldn't matter, chevy put the brake lines on the frame before putting the body on. There is no way to even get the back wheel to wheel line out without cutting it into pieces. The line from the splitter to the back is usually the first to rust and leak. Its the hardest one to get at on the splitter, you can only get about a 1/8 turn with a wrench. Mechanic I talked to said its the same on the Silverados, nine times out of ten he ends up having to replace all the lines when he gets one in his shop. Its a bad design by chevy. I replaced the two lines with copper/nickle. So far so good but a good flare tool is a must.

Yes, I had all brake lines replaced 2 years ago, because my mechanic found that the rear passanger side had a leak, Mine is a 2004, it happens with older trucks.

Yes, I had all brake lines replaced 2 years ago, because my mechanic found that the rear passanger side had a leak, Mine is a 2004, it happens with older trucks.
How expensive was that?

Also curious what the cost was. Shop in Michigan said around $1000 for replacing just the hard lines, which I think is five lines. They replace them with the copper/nickle lines. Obviously more if any rubber lines and/or calipers need replaced. Doing them myself I did calipers, pads, and rubber lines also. The bleeders were froze on my calipers anyway.

It used to be longer brake lines that were shipped got coiled up and put in a box for cheaper shipping costs. You had to unbend them to install them. Brake lines get “work hardened” the more you bend and unbend them making them more likely to kink and be ruined. Just something to consider when buying off the internet.