Security for RV Travelers?!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
&nbsp;Big diesel pushers are nice but they can really limit the places where you go. But that's one of the cool things about fulltiming - there is no one right way to do it. Research, research and research some more. Think about where you want to go, where you want to camp, how long you want to stay. It all factors into what type of vehicle will work for you. I like this site - <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.hitchitch.com/links.html" target="_blank">http://www.hitchitch.com/links.html</a>&nbsp; because the blogs are from a wide variety of fulltimers living in all types of vehicles from vans to diesel pushers, each one doing what makes them happy even though their lifestyles are vastly different.

Hi T&amp;K,&nbsp; Yeah at this point I'm just looking at the big shiny Monaco with wide childlike eyes.&nbsp; Who knows what I'll do until the time comes.&nbsp; There is one thing tho: since I'm a songwriter, I would naturally gravitate towards larger floor plans and it would seem to me that equates to a pusher or at least the A class.&nbsp; I found a lot of RV Resort type parks in Laughlin/Bull Head City area that seem like they would be a place for me to go at first to get used to the RV life and to not drive and just save up.&nbsp; For instance, Fiesta RV Park has a monthly rate of 400 during off season months and 2 huge pools which I would absolutely love. (minimum length is 31 feet)&nbsp; It seems I am still also looking for peace of mind, somewhere to write my book and my music and just relax and be retired.&nbsp; Having a big a class would allow that at a place like this at least the way I understand it so far and also the choice to just take off one day and go see Texas which I've been wanting to do...<br>I love it :::&nbsp; Not homeless but "fulltimers!"&nbsp; Works for me!

James AKA Lynx is correct. Statistics show that 80% of all murders are committed by someone the victim knew. I would'nt think violent crime stats. would be much different? &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; sings69

While out and about, just doing my thing.&nbsp; Those different things pop into my head.&nbsp; But I don't worry about them.&nbsp; I prepare for as much as I can.&nbsp; Do I worry about being attacked by 300 foot monsters, no, because the probability is so low that it probably won't happen.&nbsp; Even if it does, oh well.<br><br>I do have some minor concerns in living in the city.&nbsp; Some human predators see you as prey, because you aren't living in a "house" per say.&nbsp; Or even being fat they see me as prey.&nbsp; Another reason to get in better shape to give me another option to protect my family.<br><br>Having a proper posture, being aware of your surroundings and what is going on around you, helps a lot.&nbsp; If you seem confident, the likelihood of being victimized is lessened greatly.&nbsp; Owning, carrying and being proficient with a firearm or other weapon can also help just in case.&nbsp; Unless in actual combat operations, most people will never have to use them.&nbsp; I would rather have and not need than need and not have.&nbsp; If you know martial arts, that is another tool in your tool box.&nbsp; I have learned a few moves from colleagues and through some classes.&nbsp; I have had stuff stolen from a house that I used to live in.&nbsp; It was stuff that was in the garage where I lived.&nbsp; I left the door open.&nbsp; I also have a wonderful wife that I would really like to keep.&nbsp; I am old school in the fact that I believe that a wife should be protected (women in general).&nbsp; I have taught my wife to use firearms in case that I am not around for whatever reason.<br><br><br>Also, while I don't usually believe figures and statistics.&nbsp; They can be manipulated.&nbsp; It is more likely that you will die while driving than from being shot or victimized, at least the general population.&nbsp; Figures don't lie, but lairs figure.<br><br>I choose not to be a victim, I also choose to be the sheep dog and not a wolf.<br><br><br><br>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Morgan, thank you for calling me friend. I am your friend, as are many others here. Thanks for the song, wow! When you are ready to take that step, rest assured we are standing by to help, just as others helped us. Take care and be well.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Michael

Michael,&nbsp; Your words comfort me beyond what I have known in years.<br>Thank you for listening to my music.&nbsp; It comes from my soul :::<br>Music is why I am on this small blue planet.&nbsp; <br><br>Fact is, I have come to believe that<br>living in this house, on these 4 acres..&nbsp; the home my Father built that I believed would give me freedom<br>is really the source of my entrapment! I am both excited and tenuous about the potential<br>for new and uplifting things to let into my life!<br><br>If all of my new friends are reading this :::&nbsp; I want to tell you about a wonderful thing that has<br>happened to me recently simultaneous to my joining this site.&nbsp; As my work in engineering &amp; contracting faded away, I noted that I was not able to afford things like doctors visits &amp; meds, maintenance on my house and upkeep on my beautiful 2005 F-250 Super Duty pickup.&nbsp; You know, the one with the 6.0 Liter Diesel 4 valve per cylinder turbo charged V8 engine...&nbsp; Making my escape would change that truck out in the drive from a neglected love to a central piece in my life.&nbsp; I have known it needs to have the EGR Cooler changed for some time.&nbsp; I've known about the head bolts that are better replaced with studs and that the gauge package is not that accurate and the gas gauge is failing and so on &amp; so on...<br><br>So I joined a Ford Truck Enthusiast site here :::&nbsp; http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php<br>and met a dude in Arizona who has a similar truck and knows a great mechanic there who can do the work I need to get my rig into the tow vehicle it was meant to be.&nbsp; So now my plan is hopefully taking form.&nbsp; Thinking of heading out that direction first, and then heading up the coast to visit my sisters in Bend OR and Sequim WA respectively.&nbsp; Still have not totally decided what sort of RV but leaning towards what they call a Fiver...&nbsp; M

PS...&nbsp; I am a big Craig Ferguson fan and started to really like the "stock music" he has on the show.<br>These are just single verse snippets of music they use between jokes and such...<br>One of them is the one they used to call "Back It Up" where they would all start to dance...<br>They also called it "sexy music"..&nbsp; So I decided to do a rendition of it and it is now on line<br>although it is still missing some lead synth...<br><br>Anyhow, here it is :::&nbsp;&nbsp; http://12gaugemusic.com/backIT.html&nbsp; Enjoy!

Wow! I have so loved reading this thread. Thanks for sharing Morgan, and the rest of you. I can relate to health issues, though mine are quite different.

As a solo septuagenarian grandmother Downunder, I visit North America every year to see children and grandchildren. My E150 HiTop Conversion Van is my little home during those times and I spend a lot of time in between visiting family and friends travelling.

I have never felt 'unsafe' or had safety issues. I have a couple of times felt uncomfortable, and, as mentioned above, just moved on. Neither do I carry a weapon of any type. I keep my car keys by my bed figuring I will hit the 'panic' button if needed.

For me it is much more important to be able to get from my bed into the driver's seat and make a quick get away, if necessary.

On the whole, I agree, you are more likely to come to grief on the road than camping out in the boondocks. (Just as you are more likely to get killed on the way to the airport, than in a plane crash.)

Being confident, or at least looking confident is essential to show others you won't be messed with. This is the one thing I am finding harder and harder to do now that I can barely get around without my walking stick. Just as I feel more vulnerable using the mobility scooters provided in large supermarkets and department stores.

In 2012 I bought my van and lived in it for six months, including a trip to AK, YT and NWT. Three months after arriving home I missed my little home so much, that I bought a VW Transporter, which is in the process of being converted into a basic camper (no plumbing). Now I can hit the road and go camping in the summer in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the summer in the Southern Hemisphere.

There is no affective treatment, nor a cure for the condition in my feet, so one day all this will come to an end. But until then I plan to make the most of life on the road, meeting new folk and seeing as much as I can of at least two continents.

Maybe I will see you on the road, somewhere, Morgan.

Lifey