SEASHELLS!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are lots and lots of whelks on the shore this year, apparently, as people who have been here awhile have picnic tables with many displayed.

Something in the sea may be the reason, but I don’t have that kind of knowledge base. ☺️

Spent 2 1/2 days at Edisto Island State Park exploring the beach and looking for seashells.
IMG_2476.jpeg

IMG_2478.jpeg

IMG_2486.jpeg

Above 3 pix are the seashells found while beach combing. As usual Edisto Island Beach never fails to deliver to me an astounding amount of seashell treasures…….

jonny boi still shellin like a felon😎🤙

Found all of them washed up on shore.
Many at the high tide rack line and many around low tide time and some in between.

I’ll add: the middle pik with the tape measure; the shell in the lower left corner - a really nice channel whelk; no flaws & nice size and only the 4th channel whelk like that I’ve ever found; they are Sooo hard to find washed up in 1 piece. I would trade ALL of the shells in all 3 of those pix for that 1 channel whelk, so yeah! great days shelling!

jonny boi being Beach treated beautifully 😎🤙

IMG_2487.jpeg

A couple afternoons ago while exploring the Boneyard Beach area of Hunting Island I found myself gathering sand dollars but had nothing to carry them in. Sooo, I collected as many as I could and made a sand dollar stash cache on high ground where the overnight high tide line would not disturb them.

First thing next morning just after daybreak, jonny boi was beat feeting the almost 2 miles to those sand dollars with container. See above pik. Over 50 of them.

I usually don’t collect sand dollars but there were so many in that remote beach area that I started picking them up and they were everywhere and couldn’t stop picking them up.

jonny boi livin the dream

I think sometimes a bed of whatever are disgorged and tossed onto the sand by the waves.

Often, when you find one kind of shell, there will be similar others nearby, as I have seen with whelks and also olives.

Last edited:
Not everything I stumble into on a beach is a seashell and once in awhile it’s something spectacular. Below pix are of a fossilized bone fragment from a very large mammal that I found 5 or 6 days ago washed up on shore north of Edisto Beach State Park.
IMG_2494.jpeg

IMG_2495.jpeg

IMG_2496.jpeg

IMG_2497.jpeg

IMG_2498.jpeg
My research on the black mineralization of the bone as well as the degree of hardness of the shell mash sediment cementation that has taken place where the bone marrow would be has lead me to believe it’s probably at least 10,000+ years old. Perhaps Pleistocene era.

Prior to the latest glacial melt the Atlantic Ocean was some 400 feet lower than today and its coastline some 50ish miles to the East. There were numerous large mammals around then that have long become extinct and it’s possible this bone is from one of them. I don’t know and have no way of determining age or species.

It could also be an ulna or radius bone to an extinct water mammal related to todays manatees. A dugong or sea cow. Hard to say tho. At any rate it’s a find that I’ll treasure.

There’s never an end to jonny boi’s amazing seashore & beach discovery.

who lives better than I do?
Yeah! I Do! 😎🤙

Last edited:
I found a piece of Native American pottery about the size of my palm a few years ago, at Botany Bay on Edisto.

That is a protected area, and you’re not allowed to carry anything out of there, but it was a pretty spectacular find.

There’s artifacts strewn all across Edisto really. I found this bone north of the river in front of the houses. The 4 th house down actually. I was pokin around in the low tide black mud hafass hopin for a meg find and spotted the bone frag.
🤷🏻‍♂️
intjonny

IMG_2505.jpeg
Above: Sea glass found over these last months. Some of those pieces are jewelry quality and I might have them made into necklaces, bracelets or earrings for gifts. Even the black bag shown that I’ve stored the stuff in I found washed up on Anastasia Beach. 🤙
IMG_2504.jpeg
The above pictured sundry sea shore strewn stuff is of odd things found at various beaches Ive visited these past months. Upper left is a medical waste bottle vial. Take notice especially the broken whiskey bottle neck found complete with cork (I’ll never know what the message in the bottle might’ve said😂).

Yes, interesting stuff that finds its way to me.
intjonny boi

Last edited:
At the rate you're collecting, you might need a trailer for that new van soon. :)

View attachment 35249
Above: Sea glass found over these last months. Some of those pieces are jewelry quality and I might have them made into necklaces, bracelets or earrings for gifts. Even the black bag shown that I’ve stored the stuff in I found washed up on Anastasia Beach. 🤙
View attachment 35250
The above pictured sundry sea shore strewn stuff is of odd things found at various beaches Ive visited these past months. Upper left is a medical waste bottle vial. Take notice especially the broken whiskey bottle neck found complete with cork (I’ll never know what the message in the bottle might’ve said😂).

Yes, interesting stuff that finds its way to me.
intjonny boi

Nice haul I'm curious do you ever find agates I walk the Oregon Driftwood Beach and Holly Beach every day and find a lot of them along with Jasper and random things too

Attachments

• 20240327_113611.jpg
    20240327_113611.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Nice haul I'm curious do you ever find agates I walk the Oregon Driftwood Beach and Holly Beach every day and find a lot of them along with Jasper and random things too
Agates Jasper glass and other recent finds

Attachments

• 20240322_153709.jpg
    20240322_153709.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240324_091414.jpg
    20240324_091414.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240324_162526.jpg
    20240324_162526.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240325_171325.jpg
    20240325_171325.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240325_213230.jpg
    20240325_213230.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Best place in Florida for all things chalcedony is on the Gulf Coast. Honeymoon Island & Caldesi for sure. I’ve recognized some at Honeymoon and collected them but I’ve never really made it a point to specifically look for them on the Gulf Coast.

I have, however, spent alot of time looking for agates etc along the Lake Superior coast in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and have a decent collection. The geology there, as it’s part of the exposed Canadian Shield, is amazing. It was part of my “RockHound” phase of Life during the 80’s & early 90’s.

thanx
jonny boi

Latest posts