scilnoid?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rae Lynn

Reaction score
For the life of me I can not recall what that part is called that charges a second battery while you are driving a vehicle.  I think it is a continuous  solenoid.  Am I right? I looked for Bob's video on it but I couldn't find it.  Thank you.

You are correct.
The difference between a continous solenoid and a starter solenoid is the starter version has a heavier spring and electrical coil to handle the heavier amperage. If you left this type coil on for any length of time it would over heat and soon burn out. The continuous version can be left on continuously. I think I paid $15 on Amazon for mine. If you need help installing give a shout.

Here's the video: How to Install a Continuous Duty Solenoid in a Van

Rae Lynn said:
For the life of me I can not recall what that part is called that charges a second battery while you are driving a vehicle.  I think it is a continuous  solenoid.

There are a couple ways to do it:

• continuous duty solenoid -  a heavy electromechanical switch  <-- the thing we are talking about here, and probably most common
  • solid state isolator - electrical switch.  Older diode-based models had a voltage drop penalty.  Newer FET-based ones have largely done away with that.  

DannyB1954 said:
You are correct.
The difference between a continous solenoid and a starter solenoid is the starter version has a heavier spring and electrical coil to handle the heavier amperage. If you left this type coil on for any length of time it would over heat and soon burn out. The continuous version can be left on continuously. I think I paid $15 on Amazon for mine. If you need help installing give a shout.

Thank you Danny.  I appreciate your help.   I also found it on amazon.   Thanks for the offer of the install shout, but I got it now.  Hugs.

frater secessus said:
There are a couple ways to do it:

• continuous duty solenoid -  a heavy electromechanical switch  <-- the thing we are talking about here, and probably most common
  • solid state isolator - electrical switch.  Older diode-based models had a voltage drop penalty.  Newer FET-based ones have largely done away with that.  

Thank you frater

DannyB1954 said:

Sorry for my dumb question, but how does a continuous solenoid differ from a second alternator?  Or are they the same?   :huh:

No need to be shy about asking questions, and no question is dumb. It is just a request for information that someone else has. Actually curiosity is an indication of intellect.

The short answer is a solenoid is a switch. It does not create electricity, it only turns it on or off. An alternator creates electricity from mechanical motion.

Your vehicle usually has one alternator. Once the vehicle starts it produces electricity to charge the vehicle battery and run all of the accessories.
The continuous duty solenoid is a type of an electrical switch. It uses a small amount of electricity to close a set of contacts that allow a hgher amount of amperage to flow. So basically it is just an electrical switch. When it gets power the switch closes.

The way it is wired is when the key is on, a small amount of electricity goes to this solenoid and causes the switch to close. This will connect your alternator to your house battery so that it charges as well. When you shut the vehicle off, the solenoid loses power and the switch opens. This separates the house battery from your vehicle alternator and vehicle battery. This way your house loads will not drain the vehicle battery.

DannyB1954 said:
The way it is wired is when the key is on, a small amount of electricity goes to this solenoid and causes the switch to close. This will connect your alternator to your house battery so that it charges as well.  When you shut the vehicle off, the solenoid loses power and the switch opens. This separates the house battery from your vehicle alternator and vehicle battery. This way your house loads will not drain the vehicle battery.

Thank you.

Latest posts