saw this on listed today on CL

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_hasbeen

Reaction score
https://topeka.craigslist.org/rvs/5029636139.html
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]1972 Chevy 30 camper Van.[/font]

[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Sleeps 4[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Factory widened frame and shell.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Fully self contained with factory generator, A/C, Head with recirculating toilet, Stove/oven,propane,sink,refer,closet, furnace, water heater,etc.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Overhead bunk above cockpit[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Engine completely rebuilt (SBC 350) with 600 miles on it, not completely broken in yet.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]RV Cam.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Block, and crank work done at NAPA Machine shop in Topeka.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]All internals are new (with the exception of the crank which was rebuilt and balanced at NAPA and distributor), purchased from Jegs.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]New aluminum radiator[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]recirculating toilet rebuilt.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]includes RV power cord to plug into 110.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]A/C works well[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]3 way fridge unknown.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Heads and cooling system work done at D&J Automotive in Olatha.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]normal wear n tear with some panel work to be done in the bunk area and cleaning.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Pics show rear dining/bed area with the table down.[/font]

[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]After engine rebuild I never did get the transmission linkage adjusted properly at the carburetor. Runs great but this linkage needs adjusting to properly get the transmission to down shift and hit passing gear. It runs fast on the highway due to this. Some things simply baffle me and didn't make this diagnosis until after we decided to get a trailer instead so my ignorance is your gain. Out it goes to make room.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]needs batteries - takes two. one for engine and one for camper. May need jumped to start. Sitting for a year.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]generator start/kill and monitor at the dash with a push of the button.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Propane monitor at the dash[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Battery charge state at the dash.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]This is a sweet older camper that gets a lot of attention. They just don't build them like this any more with the ability to repair and maintain with all these features.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]I'll be charging the battery and or jumping it this week to ensure good running condition. Show up early and you may end up getting a deal and doing the work yourself.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Two prices here.[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]I spend a few gimpy days getting it in good showing shape, charge the batteries and you drive it away - $3500[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]You look it over and decide before then - $3000[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]possible trade for Motor Trike or AR or Zero turn mower or?[/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Located in Mayetta, KS. 20 miles north of Topeka[/font]

Attachments

• 72 GMC van.jpg
    72 GMC van.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 21
$3500 for a beater with problems?  I will bet that he also has a great deal on a bridge.

If all it is is an old beater, then BC Guy is right.

The thing I'm wondering is whether there is any collector interest in these old rigs?

Old Airstreams that have been fully restored bring a TON of money from collectors.

Regards
John

Uhh, rust... That stops me from looking any further. And that was just what the lf thumbnail image showed. If it is there then it's other places too. If you are part mechanic, part body man and painter then have fun. I'm neither/none, so I'd pass.

However, it's true that 60 years from now someone might pay your heirs the equivalent money for a prime example of 1980's automotive rv history... If you want to keep it that long. I mean, even any basic 1950's cars bring a couple grand or more today, in rough shape. A 52' Buick Special with the shark tooth grille, in original barn find condition would get about the same money, so you could just wait till, say 2045...

Darn, I won't be around to see it go across that swanky Scottsdale AZ auto auction...

yeah and the way they explained the trans problem. the misadjusted linkage at the carb made it run fast on the highway, what? for one thing it's a 1 ton so it should have a t400 trans which do not have linkage on the carb. on the other hand a t350 trans does have linkage at the carb, but I don't believe they ever put a t350 in a 1ton anything. something is funny there. highdesertranger

Appears they did, per the Rock Auto parts list:

Close Filter These Part Listings
1972 CHEVROLET G30 5.7L 350cid V8 :
Transmission-Automatic : Oil Pan Gasket Price
ATP Part # SG24 Click for more information about this part
{#25504700, 6261175, 6261649}
Trans. code THM350
Part Image
$2.76
Add to Cart

My 82 G30 cutaway class C had a T400, but I guess a straight stock G30 had the T350...

yeah but rock auto also lists spark plugs, carburetors, distributor caps and spark plug wires for many diesels. don't always trust what you read on the internet. highdesertranger

I think that van is sweet. And I bet it doesn't sell very quick either, not many people in the market for this type of thing. Let it sit for a while and swoop in with a lowball offer. Or show up with a couple grand in cash right now. Either way, if you're looking for a project with good potential this appears to be a decent option.

I owned a 1971 MH, Chevy 350, dualie, Rochester QuadraJet, 350 tranny, linkage for kickdown. Normal for the period.

The house was decrepit, but the running gear was okay.

Too expensive for me, as I' be ripping out much of the interior. The overcab bed, GONE. The rear dinette/bed, GONE. The fridge, GONE. DO a proper leftside longwise bed. Then it would be useable. ONE house battery? Nah, I'd want at least two. Bathroom would need a lot of attention too, as I could not use the toilet as is.
This van simply has a bad layout for a big guy, though I'd kill to have that hightop roof!