Samlex products.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general great company.

Check the voltage levels and confirm within bank mfg recco, can't set custom as with ProMariner/Sterling.

As for size, 50A for AGM 125AH

Will you be using this charger while you still are using DC loads?

If so it might stay in abosrption voltage for longer, and perhaps too long thus overcharging, as these loads make it appear that the battery is still accepting more current than it actually is and a battery still accepting high current is far from being a fully charged battery

I think electrically, relialability wise, Samlex has a pretty good name.

If you are going to power loadswhile trying to threee stage charge, well this charger can do so, but then I believe, without scrutinizing the directions, that when the battery with load dip switch is chosen, the 13.5v voltage chosen for this stage, defeats the 3 stage charging.

The 13.5v might be a little low to prevent self discharge with load on too.

If I hold my battery at 13.5v when fully charged but while still powering loads at about 65F, and then bump voltage upto 14.7, the amperage the battery accepts and the duration it still accepts this higher amperage, indicates to me the battery is now less than fully charged. if I hold it at 13.6v when fully charged, them goose voltage to 14.7v, then the amperage quickly tapers to 0.4a or less indicating the battery is still fully charged and I spin my voltage dial back to 13.6v.

The exact float voltage which will keep a battery fully charged while loads are still present, varies with temperature and any particular AGM battery. 13.5v float, for me, is a deal breaker, at least with my current AGM battery.

13.5v float for days on end on a hot battery in high ambient temperatures, might also prove to be too high.

Also it appears there is no battery tempersature sensor capability, adn the 30 amp model, well I do not know if that is 10 amps max on the three outputs, or if only one output (+) is used, if it will send 30 amps in bulk mode to just one battery.

Everything is a compromise though.

My personal preferences are for manual voltage control., and I generally choose one of two voltages for my powersupply to seek, 14.7v when the battery is less than fully charged, 13.6v when it is.

I understand the desire for automatic, but the automatic, is largely guessing. will the guess be good enough? well, it depends.

When you pluig in to charge, will you have 4 hours, 12 hours or 36 hours? if you have 36 hours then it likely will be good enough, 4 hours, well the 100Ah battery would likely need 6.5 hours from 50% with 40 amps initially available. 12 hours, well there is some leeway. Finish Charging those last few%, at float voltage, well chrging slows way way down.

If the operator sees float voltage/float mode, how does one know the battery is indeed fully charged? well by the amperage the battery accepts at absorption voltage. If the charging source does not allow the operator to boost voltage upto 14.X volts, and see the amperage flowing, then there is no way to know if the AGM battery is fully charged.

UNless one has a lot of faith in green lights, and no desire to question it.

If an automatic source is required, well I like those that still allow an operator to override the automatic algorithm, and force it back to boost or absorption voltage.

While not a perfect charging source by any means, the PD92xx series of RV converter, will allow this.

But the minimum amperage is 45, which will be more like 40 once it gets warm. This 'might' be excessive for the lesser $ AGM batteries.

Well it would exceed the 30% general maximum amperage( 30 amps per 100Ah capacity) that most le$$er AGMS will state.

While I will not outright say you can safely exceed the 30% percent manufacturer max amperage recommendation, please keep in mind this recommendation is designed solely to minimize the possibility of warranty returns.

If the battery does not heat excessively when charging above its recommended maximum, then I feel there is little issue exceeding it.

Also keep in mind that most AGMs used as starting batteries, also have this 30% max amperage recommendation. Yet if the battery were inadvertently discharged to the point it needed a jumpstart, or even to 50%, it will gobble up most everything the alternator can make, which can be 100 amps and this battery will heat up not only from charging at a high rate, but from engine compartment heat too.

So if exceeding the 30% rate were really a big nono battery killer, then the internet's automotive forums would be full of stories about AGMS failing left and right. But most report greater longevity when AGMS are used solely as starting batteries, or perhaps their owners just want to justify the purchase price.

If my desires were for automatic, and my choices were the 30 amp samlex for 200$, or the Progressive dynamics PD9245 converter with charge wizard for 165$, well the PD wins, in my opinion.

The samlex certinaly appears to be physically sexier though.

I do have experience with a PD9245. It briefly exceeded 45 amps on a depleted quality AGM battery but then when hot dropped to about 40 amps. The 3 voltages stages are supposed to be 14.4, 13.6 and 13,2 I measured 14.56, 13.71 and 13.32v. The fan is variable speed and made weird high pitched noises when it was turning slow at lower amperage outputs.

While I cannot recommend any product I have not personally used, I think if one had their heart set on a gargae automatic charger in the 20 amp range, then this one seems to get some kudos on some automotive forums:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Logix-PL2320-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B007ESQW08

I've no idea how well it will actually charge a often deeply cycled hard working AGM. If one is using a sub 25 amp charger, i recommend using the linked product below, or one of the many clones available, on its DC output so one can see how many amps are flowing and at what voltage, and how many AH and WH the charger has delivered into the DC system. I'd say into battery, but vandwellers usually have DC loads running when the charger is charging, so some amperage goes to those loads and not into battery.

https://www.amazon.com/GT-Power-Analyzer-Consumption-Performance/dp/B00C1BZSYO

As I type I have my Adjustable voltage power supply set to 14.7v, and it is delivering 19.7 amps at 14.5v into my battery. The wattmeter on the power supply itself says it is making 29.72 amps at 14.72 volts, and has delivered 26.73AH since I plugged it in. So i Got about 10 amps of load at the moment.

If amps into battery have not tapered to 0.4 or less by the time I goto bed, I will twist the dial to 13.6v, and 8 hours later it likely will be very close to fully charged. If awakening before sunrise and the onset of solar wattage, i will twist dial back upto 14.7, if amperage does not taper to 0.45 or less then I would leave it at 14.7 until it does.

But in general in that situation my solar has no issues getting the battery to and holding it at 14.7v until amps to cross that threshold.

So with that samlex, see if it can do 30 amps on one channel or that 30 amps is spread out on 3 channels at 10 amps max each. Know that if you have DC loads on it, and choose the power supply/battery load setting, it might defeat the 3 stages and hold the battery at 13.5v, which might not allow it to fully charge by the time you unplug.

I know full well the manual charger/ adjustable voltage power supply route I Use is not for everybody, but this battery load/power supply dipswitch also requires human oversight. i;d rather spin a voltage dial after looking at a voltmeter/ammeter for more precise control.

I am not sure the 500$ programmable chargers by magnum or mastervolt can actually do everything I would want an Automatic charger to do, and I would never spend that much dough. My meanwell power supply (rsp-500-15, is 40 amps for ~ 90 dollars.
But it is modified with more heatsinking, ventilation and a better potentiometer for voltage adjustment, as well as the wattmeter.

Sternwake, just for information, on the Samlex 1215's that I own, the output is maxed at 15 amps, whether its on one or all three outputs.

If you hook up a single battery to only one output, you can get the full 15 amps.

If you hook up to 2 batteries, you start dividing the available current, presumably, about 7.5 amps per 'channel'.

Same with 3 batteries, you have 5 amps per channel...thats how the 1215 works, and I would assume its the same for the 1230 and the others.

These also have a 'battery with load' setting, which changes the charging pattern to accommodate loads that are typically put on the batteries that I use. (mostly communications equipment). In this mode I see full charging voltage of about 14.7 or so, (I need to double check this but IIRC its right) then it drops to 13.8 and holds the battery there indefinitely, according to what I have seen on my digital meters and the ProStar solar controllers.

Here is a link to the manual:

http://www.samlexamerica.com/documents/manuals/11001-SEC-1215-1230-2415UL-0513 Lrez.pdf

Any feedback would be welcome.

I can tell you that I have been using these for years and they work well...they haven't 'cooked' a battery yet!

I have a Samlex inverter. It works fine. I have a Pro Mariner charger. It does everything about charging very well. It also acts as a power supply if needed. Thank the Darkness, it is automatic, and I can go away to dinner while it charges.

SternWake said:
Will you be using this charger while you still are using DC loads?

*loads of good info*

But it is modified with more heatsinking, ventilation and a better potentiometer for voltage adjustment, as well as the wattmeter.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the effort you put into your responses.  I've read lots. Beginning to get a grip on stuff...but still al long way away. Your posts are helping a lot.

Thanks!

Putts

My issue with most automatic chrging sources, is they will drop to float voltage well before they should. This is 'safe' but not necessarily best for the battery's longevity.

If one is plugged in, floating for 10+ more hours after this, then premature float this is of little consequence.

But most automatic's, when they drop from absorption to float prematurely, indicate that the battery is full, when it is not.

If the user believed it, and unplugged and moved on, well it is likely their battery is 92 to 95% charged, that 60 to 90 minutes or more at absorption voltage were required to top off the battery.

Obviously the last few percentage is not going to be an issue for the person using the battery that night, the issue is the battery really wanted to get that full charge, the opportunity was there, and a faulty indicator decided that it was simply good enough, and another partial state of charge cycle accumulates, which degrades the battery faster. The opportunity was there to fully charge, but the 'automatic' source, stymied that possibility, yet shines that soothing green light anyway..

Amperage based absorption stage termination is far superior to time based, but DC loads on the system must be accounted for. The time a battery requires to get to 100% will keep increasing as the battery accumulates cycles, therefore the absorption stage duration also needs to be increased or the battery degrades faster and faster.

Also, as the battery ages, a lesser float voltage might not ever, even if left at float voltage for a week, be able to get the battery to full charge.

Now with Automatic, in this situation, what is one to do? How does one reinitiate absorption voltage? how does one initiate an Equalization charge on flooded batteries at upto 16.2 volts after a proper duration in absorption voltage?

I spin a potentiometer while watching a voltmeter. Takes 2 seconds.

With Automatic one needs to unplug it, load batteries until voltage drops to sub 12.8 volts, restart charger and simply hope it goes to and holds absorption voltage for an adequate period of time again. Will it? won't it? baby sit it and find out.

I've wasted a lot of time trying to get my Schumacher automatic charger to do its job. Either it overvoltages a battery, or drops to float very prematurely and requires much more babysitting than my manual charger.

I urge members here who are seeking good to excellent battery longevity, to eyeball the float stage/full charge indicator, with high degrees of suspision, until otherwise confirmed with an Ammeter whole holding the battery at absorption voltage on AGMS, or a Hydrometer on flooded batteries. When one plugs into the grid for 7+ hours, one should not be unplugging with anything but truly fully charged batteries. 98% is good, but only half as good as 100%.

Is it good enough? Well that is subjective.

SternWake said:
My issue with most automatic chrging sources, is they will drop to float voltage well  before they should.  This is 'safe'  but not necessarily best for the battery's longevity.

If one is plugged in,  floating for 10+ more hours after this, then premature float this is of little consequence.

But most automatic's, when they drop from absorption to float prematurely, indicate that the battery is full, when it is not.

If the user believed it, and unplugged and moved on, well it is likely their battery is 92 to 95% charged, that 60 to 90 minutes or more at absorption voltage were required to top off the battery.

{snip}

Is it good enough? Well that is subjective.

In my use, the Samlex 1215 chargers are plugged into grid power 24/7 so this automatic function makes it almost a set-and-forget solution.

One of them is for multiple motorcycle battery maintenance, another is for the ham radio comm trailer, a third was used in my older Class A that was plugged into shore power most of its life.

I like the way you are right there to manage your batteries, but in my case, its just not possible...so the automatic is the best for me, for now.

BTW the Samlex 1215's do not have a light or indicator to indicate fully charged, just an ammeter that slowly drops to just about zero...I agree that if these were used for only a few hours per day, they might not be the best answer...but in my situation they work well, and they tolerate the high power RF fields that my ham equipment can generate. In fact they are marketed as telcomm suitable units, so that is a big plus in my situation.

Weight said:
I have a Samlex inverter. It works fine. I have a Pro Mariner charger. It does everything about charging very well. It also acts as a power supply if needed. Thank the Darkness, it is automatic, and I can go away to dinner while it charges.

Yes ProMariner and Sterling make some top products, which let you customize the voltage setpoints, specify how long to hold Absorb, rather than going to Float early like cheap automotive "so-called smart" chargers.

Victron, Magnum and MasterVolt products are probably just as good, but are very pricey.

Samlex makes great products, good value too, may not go to Float too early? but I believe their chargers are less flexible than the top two above.

The reason for the inquiry toward a 15-30 amp charger was due to specs from a WindyNation lower cost 100 aH AGM.  If I understand the specs, it stated charging current of 30a.  

I have a brand new Iota 55 with QLS4 , four stage charging, that was slated for an earlier now defunct project.  I'm scaling back and thought about a different charger and use an AGM.  I could step over to a flooded battery I suppose and just use the Iota.  Unless someone wants to buy it.  The charger I'd want should be able to charge and draw appliance loads.

Only have room for one under the rear bench/bed so it'd have to be a 12v.  Group 24 or 27 is all thats needed, eh 31 tops

I have a newer smaller 44aH SLA that is part of the factory wiring but thats another story.

With all the info throughout the many pages of the forum, I think what (we) all need is an SW tweaked charger .
Yes?

Sorry what do you think is wrong with your using the Iota?

Nothing if I was sticking with flooded batteries since it has the four stages.
I'm thinking that if I wanted to use AGM instead, a three stage is better?
Iota said that their Four stage internal QLS4 equipped chargers wouldn't harm AGM's but then I read otherwise from various sources.
*edit* Iota has the IQ4 feature. My model has it built in and gives four stages.

regis101 said:
Nothing if I was sticking with flooded batteries since it has the four stages.
I'm thinking that if I wanted to use AGM instead, a three stage is better?
Iota said that their Four stage internal QLS4 equipped chargers wouldn't harm AGM's but then I read otherwise from various sources.
These complex "stages" are BS, at least no difference between AGM and FLA.

Bulk/CC transition to Absorb/CV nothing to do with charger smarts, just seeking a maximum Voltage, battery chemistry/physics determines when.

Look for a charger let's you set that voltage point.

Then dropping to a lower Float should ideally be based on an Amps setting as current drops.

But second-best is an "egg-timer" Absorb minimum hours timeout.

Stuff like "equalizing/conditioning" best done manually with a settable higher voltage.

That's all there is to worry about.

The Iota will be fine for 90% AGM Banks out there up to 250-300A, even 500A if you don't mind losing a little longevity.

Also fine for any FLA bank up to say 600A.

I fired off an email to Iota to reverify what I had asked a year ago about AGM vs Flooded. They had previously stated all would be well, But no harm no foul in second opinions.

Cool. Thanks. Thanks to all of you

Just buy an AGM that's OK with 14.8V, but I see Iota goes there for Bulk, then steps down to a gentler 14.4 for Absorb.

See if you call them what they say about their algorithm for dropping to Float.

See if you can disable the IQ4, but all that does is alternate between those two when in storage, likely no harm done.

My temperature regulated charger. Starts with battery voltage and ramps the voltage up to maintain the max amps output of the charger. When the voltage reaches the set programed voltage, it holds that voltage until the amps drop to a programed %, holds that for a programed time. Then drops the voltage to programed steady voltage to maintain the battery. It is set to kick up the amps when devices need power. I can select from 6 different battery types with two profiles for each battery type. It also has an user programmable custom selection. I highly recommend. Idiot proof enough for me.

Yes that's the good one, also ProCharge Ultra from Sterling.

This is a copy/paste from Iota tech support.

*Regis,

The IQ4 has three stages (bulk, absorption, and float), the fourth is the equalization stage that uses the same bulk charge (14.8V).*