Sales Taxes in your area.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
spiritual what are the "Thirty Stores".  highdesertranger

I bet he meant "thrift stores". We'll see what he/she says. If I'm right, I win 1 million Internet points.

Canine said:
 If I'm right, I win 1 million Internet points.

Not from me, you don't.  I hoard every last Internet point I get, and pile them up in a huge Internet point bin in Duckburg.  I still have the very first Internet point I ever earned! You can't have any of them!

Regards
John

I guess if you're going to be a hoarder while living in a small home, hoarding Internet points would be the way to go!

Oh crap, Virginia just announced a new sales tax rate for 'internet points'   :p

Our forefathers are turning in their graves at the present condition of this country. Taxes are out of control, as we all know.

The Boston Tea Party was initiated for far less than the oppressive tax situation that we currently face.

It's time...

Spirituallifetime said:
I meant to say thrift stores. Some day I will learn how to spell words properly!

OK, now YOU owe canine a million Internet points. 

Regards
John

akrvbob said:
When it comes to living cheap, you have to consider taxes and the one we forget is sales tax. It can actually be a big chunk of money at the end of the year. 

So how much do you pay in your area?

How do you try to pay less?

Should you factor it into your decision of where to travel to and spend your time?

I'll start with my winter base of [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] Quartzsite, AZ where the sales tax is 11%! [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]They are killing the goose that laid the golden egg! I think it's a big reason there are less snowbirds coming and those that come stay less time. Many vendors say they won't come back because it's killing their sales. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]What are you paying?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Bob[/font]

California may have a high sales tax but when you folks are camped close to the Colorado river in Arizona, Cali does not charge sales tax on groceries or meds (in my county anyway). Not sure about Arizona.

got it Spiritual, I never knew that. I am going to hit some thrift stores next time I am in Nevada. highdesertranger

CTP said:
California may have a high sales tax but when you folks are camped close to the Colorado river in Arizona, Cali does not charge sales tax on groceries or meds (in my county anyway). Not sure about Arizona.

Yeah, that's why I winter in Ehrenberg, AZ. It literally is on the Coloroado river directly adjacent to Bythe, CA which has very good grocery shopping. 

We buy our groceries in Blythe with no sales tax and buy our gas at the Flyig J just across the border on I-10 in AZ. 

Cheap gas and no sales tax on food--best of both worlds!
Bob

Arizona does not charge sales tax on food, but Yuma does. I'm not sure about Quartzsite.

Gary68 said:
zero,zip,nada 0% in Oregon,they get us with income, property tax and whatever else they can think up

So would Oregon be the best place to buy a van?

Here in northern New England-
6% in Vt and Me., dunno what Taxicusetts is
0% in NH=lots of retail sales in NH....

Gas tax is about the same in all (.38 gal.)

If you are registering your vehicle in OR, you can buy in OR or WA without sales tax. CA will ding you for "use" tax when you register, difference between the sales tax rate you paid and the sales tax where you register in CA. I think other states pull similar tricks.

blars said:
If you are registering your vehicle in OR, you can buy in OR or WA without sales tax. CA will ding you for "use" tax when you register, difference between the sales tax rate you paid and the sales tax where you register in CA. I think other states pull similar tricks.

Thanks. I am in AZ, but would probably register in TX and will check out the use tax.
Have a great day!

Here is a link to the Texas comptrollers website:

http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/mtr_veh/mv_su.html

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Rates[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Sales: 6 1/4 % (.0625) of sales price, minus any trade-in allowance. The taxable value of private-party purchases of used motor vehicles may be based on theStandard Presumptive Value.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Use: Texas residents — 6 1/4 % (.0625) of sales price, less credit for sales or use taxes paid to other states, when bringing a motor vehicle into Texas that was purchased in another state.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]New residents — $90 new resident fee due in lieu of use tax on a vehicle brought into Texas by a new resident, if the vehicle was previously registered in the new resident's name in another state or foreign country.[/font]

In Texas I pay 8.25%. But no taxes on Groceries, medication. but is 6.25% on a vehicle All my purchased inside federal military installation are tax free. When I got to the Caribbean and spent the winters 12% on goods but amazingly I own a small used car down there and it was tax free Insurance and tags is $134.00 a year.

We pay 6.25% in Mass. No sales tax on food or clothing though. Our neighbors to the North in New Hampshire pay 0% No income tax there either. Some towns/counties have high property taxes but other ones have really cheap property tax rates, so realistically you could live there and pay very little in taxes. Saying this out loud I wonder why I haven't relocated that way yet.

I just looked, and all of the towns around Quartzite (the few there are) seem to have a sales tax that is 3 or 4 cents lower than Quartzite. Warn everyone to get what they need before they come to town! Bring the greedy city fathers to their knees! SPREAD THE WORD!

Santa Cruz County, depending on zip-code is between 6 and 9%. In some zip codes they charge .25 cents for paper bags and ban plastic bags, others plastics bags are still free. Its kinda crazy