Sales Taxes in your area.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sales tax in Arizona is determined locally? Texas has a state sales tax of 8.25%, and woe to the locality that attempts to change that, as the TAG will receive a call posthaste

ArtW said:
So sales tax in Arizona is determined locally? Texas has a state sales tax of 8.25%, and woe to the locality that attempts to change that, as the TAG will receive a call posthaste

A lot of states allow that - The state sales tax rate is set and then the individual towns/counties are allowed to add in on top of that a variable that they set, usually within the parameters set by the state.

Florida was one of them. I travelled doing art/craft shows and my Florida sales tax return went to three pages with me having to report sales in each jurisdiction that I sold in. Sales tax for items sold from my home base had to be taxed and reported based on my legal home address, not where I was that day when I shipped it. The reporting was a nightmare for me, even with 25 years of full accounting background. I felt really sorry for the ones who didn't have my skill set!

However, in WA they don't tax the food bought in stores as long as it is NOT hot food.

So, you buy cold and heat it up...And in our vans, quite the easy thing to do....

We have been traveling through Montana and are shocked with the 0% sales tax and yet such nice facilities (rest stop bathrooms have individual rooms and are new!).   This is after living in Washington state with their 9.8% sales tax.

If I wanted to settle down, Montana would be pretty high up there on the list.