Safety in National Parks?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeedtoExplore

Reaction score
Just got the most awesome pop up camper. Heading to Texas in May with 2 80 fur babies. Maine is very lax on concealed carry as you don't need a permit unless you venture into certain areas. YAY MAINE! But other states like Texas don't play Maine rules. While my dogs are great alarm clocks, has anyone experienced frightening moments in a national park like robbery or such. Just a country girl living in a small town not looking for big city trouble. I do have knives and a cute pink powerful taser. :)

Mind you, I'm only camping for no more than 4 months. Just doing this until I get to know the areas and figure out where I want to live and find a job as I am relocating there. 

Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestion.

280 fur babies in a pop-up? Where are you going to sleep? Don’t worry, nobody will want to open the door!!!!!!

[emoji16]

It will be getting warm in Texas in May. Summers can be brutal with triple digit temps so take special care with your fur babies. I love Texas anyway and has been my home since 1956.

IIRC, you can have a firearm in your vehicle. Not hard to get a concealed carry permit if you decide to stay and has pretty good reciprocity with other states.

I have not experienced any problems in National Parks, National Forest or BLM. In fact, I feel a lot safer there than any big city in any state. I have seen partiers and inconsiderate OHV riders though. Nature does not seem to attract the criminal type.

The national parks in Texas are far from the big cities. Big Bend is of course on the Mexican Border but it is rare for there to be any trouble. The terrain is too nasty for illegal border crossing. The border patrol agent that was killed was way west of there. You can always call the NP office and talk to them about any concerns.

The biggest issue with National Parks is with people doing dumb things, such as hiking a trail that still is under snow and sliding down an avalanche chute, or hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon with not enough water. It can be 70 at the rim but 110 at the bottom.

These mysterious disappearances in National Parks are mostly likely inexperienced people doing dumb things.

Be smart, have the right gear for a hike, and observe the rules and you’ll be fine. Speaking of rules, that’s what keeps the low lifes out, too many rules and entrance fees.

RVTravel said:
The national parks in Texas are far from the big cities.

Yes, because the point of National Parks is to protect wild areas from development. 

National Parks visitors are overwhelmingly middle class suburban families and the outdoor adventure types -- not exactly the profile of the criminally minded.

Thank you all!!

I plan on getting a portable A/C as my camper has a furnace. (only good for cold Maine winters, not Texas) I also plan on doing Doggy Daycare for those days I'm gone long or dropping them at a pet sitter. I'm used to camping, even dry camping but not with them. It's going to be an adventure. I got a Jayco 1406 pop up camper. It has heat, gas power, shower, toilet...YAY!!!!

It needs canvas work though and a good scrub but all is amazing inside.