RVSue blog announcement today

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've traveled while having a home to go back to and it always gives me a kind of tension, to be thinking about that place, and is everything okay there, and wanting or needing to go back and re-establish myself there. After a few weeks the pull of home is unavoidable and the vacation is over whether I'm ready for that or not. This time I want to completely leave sticks and bricks behind and have no fixed abode. I want to travel without destinations or end points. I want to be free to explore, to spend as much time as I want in each location, and to not feel like I must be in a hurry for anything except maybe to find a place to park for the night before sunset.

Bears. Another topic. Well, the common black bear, brown bear, or cinnamon bear found in California is usually not going to charge you so long as you stand still and don't aggravate or frighten it. I've been out hiking several times and had one cross in front of me without any harm done. The key is to stand still and look like part of the landscape. If they attack, play dead. You can't outrun them.

I lived in the Klamath National Forest for 13 years and there were no bear attacks in all that time in my area. There were also no cougar attacks. In general, I think the cougars are a lot scarier than bears. I used to hike with a good pocket knife and a loud whistle. A little defensive pre-planning could help. My hiking stick - I could take off the rubber end and there was a little sharp spike there. Always take a hiking stick. That, at least, is something. But in all the time I lived there, I never had to use a weapon... the only animals I had problems with were unfriendly dogs.

Lastly, I'll mention that my mother traveled in RV's for quite a few years. Her decision to stop came due to medical issues - in her case, breaking bones due to osteoporosis. That happened when she was about my age and she spent the last twenty years of her life living in a mobile home park in Rockport, Texas, on the Gulf of Mexico. Nice place for Texas vacationers, and a beautiful place for her to live. She passed away six months before Hurricane Harvey.

Hi Travelaround,
Lots of good personal experience there. I liked what you shared about your mom, things have a way of working out, most times.
I'm not sure playing dead is recommended but I'm relying on my memory of some "bear" youtube watching I was doing the other day. I have no personal experience there. Definitely an important enough topic to be clear about so I think I'll go look again, lol.

travelaround said:
I've traveled while having a home to go back to and it always gives me a kind of tension, to be thinking about that place, and is everything okay there, and wanting or needing to go back and re-establish myself there. After a few weeks the pull of home is unavoidable and the vacation is over 
Lastly, I'll mention that my mother traveled in RV's for quite a few years. Her decision to stop came due to medical issues - in her case, breaking bones due to osteoporosis. That happened when she was about my age
Well, you're looking to head out, but there are relatively inexpensive home security systems you could setup and which would give more peace of mind when on the road. Eg, cheap for your peace of mind. 
https://simplisafe.com/
https://simplisafe.com/help-center/result/how-much-does-simplisafe-cost

Everyone 40 and over needs to walk and walk and walk. Helps promote strong bones.

MaTaLa said:
I'm not sure playing dead is recommended but I'm relying on my memory of some "bear" youtube watching I was doing the other day. I have no personal experience there. Definitely an important enough topic to be clear about so I think I'll go look again, lol.
There are different methods recommended. The one I have remembered as making the most sense is ...

a. with a grizzly, you play dead; roll over on your stomach and use your arms to shield your neck and head; wearing a daypack is a good idea to help protect your body.

b. for everything else, including black bear and cougar, you fight back; make noise, appear to be bigger, throw rocks; a walking stick can be a weapon.

If you stop in at the Forest Service office they should have a hand-out on how to deal with various animals in that locality in case you're attacked.

This page mentions both Grizzly and Black bears:
- https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/safety.htm

"Bear Attacks
  - Brown/Grizzly Bears: If you are attacked by a brown/grizzly bear, leave your pack on and PLAY DEAD. Lay flat on your stomach with your hands clasped behind your neck. Spread your legs to make it harder for the bear to turn you over. Remain still until the bear leaves the area. Fighting back usually increases the intensity of such attacks. However, if the attack persists, fight back vigorously. Use whatever you have at hand to hit the bear in the face.

.... Fighting back usually increases the intensity of such attacks.

- Black Bears: If you are attacked by a black bear, DO NOT PLAY DEAD. Try to escape to a secure place such as a car or building. If escape is not possible, try to fight back using any object available. Concentrate your kicks and blows on the bear's face and muzzle.

One of my nomad friends is retiring from the road, but I knew it was coming. He has been looking for the perfect piece of land for a few years and has finally found it. Sigh. I'm happy for him but it means I'll see him less. At least I'm welcome to boondock at his place.

That's nice, Mr N .... like saying I have a piece of cake, but you can't have any, LOL. Not even a glimmer of where this paradise might even be. North, south, east, west.

travelaround said:
Okay, I'll keep "fight back" in mind for black bears . . . also, I like wearing a nice thick back pack.
Similar for cougars. The best info I've seen indicates that they like to attack from behind. Jump onto their prey and sink their fangs into the back of the neck, and sever the spinal cord. So if you run, it triggers them into prey-attack mode.

Cougars apparently like to sit on ledges above game trails, like for deer. A few years ago in Idaho Springs CO, a kid was jogging along a trail and the cougar jumped on him from above, and did as indicated.

MrNoodly said:
One of my nomad friends is retiring from the road, but I knew it was coming. He has been looking for the perfect piece of land for a few years and has finally found it. Sigh. I'm happy for him but it means I'll see him less. At least I'm welcome to boondock at his place.

I'll be looking for land too. I originally wanted land, but when I couldn't find what I wanted at a price I'm willing and able to pay, I decided on the perfect mobile tiny home: a van. I want to travel first, while I still can. One site I found where one can get cheap land is https://secure.bid4assets.com/ ... I will probably still scan the site for what I'm looking for, but in the meantime, travel is my priority. And if I was to find that land, for now it would only be for temporarily resting, at times.

QinReno said:
Similar for cougars. The best info I've seen indicates that they like to attack from behind. Jump onto their prey and sink their fangs into the back of the neck, and sever the spinal cord. So if you run, it triggers them into prey-attack mode.

Yes, cougars like to run after prey, like mountain bikers.

Fortunately, the human body doesn't look to them like the right kind of prey. They're looking for an animal, hunched over. Check the tree-tops before re-tying your shoes.

It's like the gold rush. One minute you're talking to people, and next minute they're all off trying to figure out how to get land or a house for one dollar. Go figure.

We all go through seasons in our lives.  My desires and priorities at 20 were different than at 40 and are different than now as I approach 70.

Now I want local community: I want people around me that I can count on when needed.  I also want a doctor that knows me at hand.  Both are much more difficult if you are a nomad, especially a solo nomad.  I didn't pay much attention to these at 40, let alone 20.

As to bears: I put it down to fear of the unknown.  The topic has been debated ad nausium in other posts.

Ignored over cheap land. Sheesh...lol I saw some real cheap the other day in AZ. Has to be a desirable area.

travelaround said:
It's like the gold rush. One minute you're talking to people, and next minute they're all off trying to figure out how to get land or a house for one dollar. Go figure.
I believe Bob Wells has mentioned this in his videos. Buying a couple of sites where cheap RVers can come and stay. One high for summer, and one low for winter. One of his many projects.