Rust Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmurphy92

Reaction score
[font=-apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont,]My partner and I purchased a 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 van that we're converting (the hope is to be fully living in the van and being on the road next summer). [/font]We've ripped out all the old flooring and have discovered a decent sized chunk of rusted body behind the back passenger side wheel well; it’s totally rusted through and a lot of the metal around it is brittle/breakable. There’s also a part of the van floor that’s very rusted and feels pretty breakable (like if we stomped hard enough we’d break through). We're trying to find solutions for how to fix it, and the rest of the van is great! It’s just the back passenger side corner that’s concerning and we're worried this would put an end to our build for good and force us to find another van/sell this one for parts. I'm posting pictures in case anyone has any advice! Thank you!

Attachments

• C16590D3-7311-4166-A167-92DED31F801F.jpeg
    C16590D3-7311-4166-A167-92DED31F801F.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 18
  • A7883389-2DD7-4ED3-A3C3-B6B49D4547F1.jpeg
    A7883389-2DD7-4ED3-A3C3-B6B49D4547F1.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 18
  • BB6D8891-297F-4FE0-8A95-26007FE0D2E9.jpeg
    BB6D8891-297F-4FE0-8A95-26007FE0D2E9.jpeg
    419.4 KB · Views: 18
The most important areas to check is the frame where the steering box is mounted. Most body sheet metal is replaceable, usually you buy an oversized piece after cutting out all the old rusty stuff and treating the areas that are okay. It just depends on how well you want to fix things and how long you intend your fixes to last. Go by a body shop and have them give you an estimate which should have a parts list and hours listed to get an idea of whether it is worth it for you to fix or have it fixed if everything else is in fact “great”. You can treat the rust and use fiberglass in many cases although it won’t last as long as metal in most cases. That and body putty and a few spray cans. Maybe if you are going to put in 3/4” plywood flooring as long as what is there can be made water tight might get you by.

that is really bad. some one try to hide the rust, you can see the bondo. there is probably a lot more hidden behind more bondp. rust is like an ice berg you only see 10%. that's a Dodge and like bullfrog said Dodge's are susceptible to rust at the front frame horns. judging from the picture you posted the frame horns are history. what do they look like? can you post pictures of those? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it doesn't look good. a frame horn failure could be catastrophic. you really need to asses this. highdesertranger

I've added pictures of the underside of the van! (if they're awful/unhelpful please tell me). Also, there is a cracking sound when we make a sharp right....we are very very bummed and are expecting the worst. We're taking her to a body shop tomorrow to get a final diagnosis.

Attachments

• IMG_5805.JPG
    IMG_5805.JPG
    678.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5804.JPG
    IMG_5804.JPG
    887.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5801.jpg
    IMG_5801.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5802.jpg
    IMG_5802.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5803.jpg
    IMG_5803.jpg
    784.2 KB · Views: 9
It’s all fixable, the question is how much your willing to spend? Like others said, get estimates, and personally I’d buy OEM replacement panels and do it right. Most everything on there is replaceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Where we need to see is the front underneath and side where the steering box and components mount. That would be the driver’s side frame horn that usually rusts out between the steering box and the firewall (which is the foot well on the inside of the van), also the passenger side frame horn. A good body shop should be aware of this problem area but be sure to ask them to inspect the frame horns. If it is rusty like many are you are done in most cases as the van is unsafe to drive. What I am seeing in the above pictures is a very poor attempt to repair a really rusty van unfortunately.

upper a frame control arms mounts rust off. rear leaf spring shackles rust through floor. Wire wrapped emergency brake cable rusts dead.

TABCO   or tabcoparts com   is a company that sells  "stamped repair sections"  for vehicles with rust damage.
There may be solutions in this site for those with Vans etc that are in decent mechanical running condition but otherwise are rusting out and may not be able to pass inspection in your state of residence.

You basically cut out the damaged area with a cutter grinder and fit these replacement sections into that section.
These may be attached with spot welds, pop rivets etc and finished properly.  Then the back side of that sections
can be coated with rust proofing. (and the outside primered and painted)

TABCO

[img=415x136]https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...AIQjRxqFwoTCID4-JWu6esCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE[/img]

That is some very extensive rust.  Judging by the deep scale on the leaf springs, my guess is the front end won't be any better.  Sure, the cosmetics of the fender/wheel house can be repaired by a body shop, but at a cost.  Foil tape, peel and seal, and a spray can of paint would seal over and disguise it.  It wouldn't be pretty but you could get by.  Seeing that rust scale on the leaf springs would have been a hard 'NO' on a purchase decision for me.  I do my own mechanical work, and that rusted suspension looks like a nightmare to work on.  So many of those bolts look like they'd seize and snap or need to be torched out.  My mind races ahead to envision other things like seized brake calipers and wheel cylinders, and the infamous driver's frame horn that others have mentioned.  This might not be the best van to start with...  If you are going to be investing money into a van, you'll want it to last and be reliable enough to travel around.  If you're stuck with that van, and you gotta make due, then I'd suggest to invest minimal dollars just enough to get by so you can save some money, and then make a move into a better van later.

Here's an old thread I started on the front frame horns. Mind is an 02 Dodge Ram 3500 as well. I was able to fix the rust on the horns as I caught it before it got too bad. There are some pics in the thread. For reference, the pics show the driver side front frame horn where the steering box bolts on.

Front frame horn