Running a Computer Off a Battery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use iPads and carry a jump battery that will charge the iPads and phones if necessary. It has a built in plug for adaptors. It will also jumpstart the vehicle if necessary. Easier to plug in devices at libraries, welcome centers, coffee stops. Like Bobs tip about the power strip in the backpack lol.

There's nothiing I can't do on my iPad that I would want to do on a computer - even editing professional level photos. OK, I need my laptop for doing layers in Photoshop. That's it. Lol. Consider a tablet - and voice recognition is easier than typing!

I use an older Mac mini and power it and a 19" monitor off the same power supply I bought off eBay for about $20. I've never seen my ammeter go over 4-4.5 amps (at 12 volts!), or 48 to 54 watts. I took the advice of most people here and power it off a universal, laptop car power supply. The power supply has a cigarette plug on one wire, and I added a second cable to the output side since both the monitor and my mini work fine off 18 volts. The power supply is rated at 120 watts so I'm not even halfway there. Also, wireless keyboards and mice eliminate the cables draped across my van, nothing to trip over.

The Mac minis use many laptop components rather than the usual desktop bits and pieces. The later Mac minis, the ones they call the uni-body minis, will work off the 12 volt house system system directly with no power supply, though a fuse might be a good idea.

flailer said:
Anyone interested in Raspberry Pi ? pocket-sized PC ??

I'll have to get an update from a buddy, to see how his Raspberry Pi project is going

it is NOT a recent article, & i'd guess things have changed. But here you go:
article: can mini pc replace your desktop?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-a-50-mini-pc-replace-your-desktop/
Being interested in weird tech things I read the article (dated March 2013), but decided to hang onto my Mac. Sometime possibly, but not yet...

Kayakgirl, after awhile we tend to drift off course and instead of trying to help you we just say general helpful things that don't really apply to you. And in fact just confuse you. It's human nature.

Tell us what you do know and what you want to know.
Bob

What Bob says.

I didnt mean to "hijack" the topic, your thread. Sorry.
I was asking about macro (even smaller than micro) computers. No spinning disk-drives, all solid-state, works with any screen, any keyboard. VERY power friendly. VERY VERY budget friendly.... But they are NOT user "friendly"

I was hoping they would be a "growth" market, particularly among us VERY mobile users.

I was off topic