Rubbing alcohol quick partial bath

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preventec47

Reaction score
First of all, most rubbing alcohol is 70 percent alcohol and 30 percent water.
I think that is too strong and unnecessarily expensive to use for sponging
off. I would take the rubbing alcohol bottles contents and add two more bottles of water to it in a larger bottle.

From there I would use some very thin cloth like a handkerchief instead
of a washcloth because the washcloth is too absorbent and soaks up
too much fluid. pour enough to soak it pretty good and wipe all areas of
your body with your crotch being next to last and your toes and spaces
between your toes last. The alcohol disinfects and prevents foul odors
under your armpits and crotch and also prevents fungus in the feet area.
The alcohol also does a good job of removing skin oils as you wipe your body.

This approach only works when you are not dirty with dirt... but merely
becoming smelly with perspiration etc. I 've read that the body odor smell comes from bacteria on the skin and the alcohol does a good job of killing them.

I imagine that this is very close to those new feminine wet wipes
that are popularly being sold now and perhaps if we used paper towels
instead of cloth as the washcloth , we would be duplicating the wet wipes.

I think I prefer the use of white vinegar. More 'natural', not as astringent. The smell goes away in a few minutes. It's cheap too.

LeeRevell said:
I think I prefer the use of white vinegar. More 'natural', not as astringent. The smell goes away in a few minutes. It's cheap too.

You should remember that vinegar being acetic acid is no better than water as far as being a solvent for oil. You might as well just be using plain water
as for removing body oil from the skin. Alcohol IS a solvent and helps to
cleanse oil from skin but I agree if you have extremely dry skin and need
to apply lotions and moisturizers to keep oils in the skin, then maybe the
alcohol solution is not recommended. REcall however that I am suggesting
a dilution of 1 part rubbing alcohol and 2 parts water.... as that is what
worked well for me as an oily guy.

I prefer witch hazel, some are low alcohol content. Yes alcohol kills bacteria that cause odor. My dermatologist frowns on my use of even witch hazel.

Hmmm... hadn't thought of that. I see my dermatologist this Thursday for a skin ailment, and will ask him about various things for cleaning oily skin. I'm a heavy sweater too. Which kinda sucks in a Florida humid summer! :-(

I've used diluted versions of rubbing alcohol, witch hazel, white distilled vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide for cleaning both myself and my things. I like to find items that have multiple uses in a small space; and a spray bottle with a disinfectant-water solution can clean myself, my utensils, and my bathroom items.

After trying a variety of combinations, I mostly like to do a sponge bath with straight water in a spray bottle, starting with my face. Then a 2nd spray bottle with a alcohol and water solution on the smelly parts while continuing to wash the rest of me with plain water. Then I wipe down the previously sprayed smelly parts.

I don't especially like how witch hazel makes my skin feel. And both vinegar and peroxide are close seconds to alcohol.

Usually I wash just before bed to keep my sheets as clean as possible, and also a quick once-over before dressing in the morning.
I like to use the thin cotton wash cloths that I purchased in bulk at Walmart, one for the evening and another for the morning.

Suanne ... who thinks spray bottles are great for vandwelling

I have issues with my ears, from surfing so much cold water for the last 30 years.

When water gets inside, it can fester, and make me miserable.

Trick is ear drops to help dry out the water. My ear Doc said don't waste money on store bought ear drops, mix IPA and distilled white vinegar in a 50/50 ratio and us asap after exiting ocean. The IPA helps dry out the water, the Vinegar leaves the ear acidic so nothing can grow. It works well.

I found this combo works great to clean oily skin. I've used this combo to irrigate wounds which needed stitches, but did not get them or proper medical attention and they healed cleanly without infection.

I generally buy 91% Ip alcohol, and use it on my cutting board, silverware, anything I suspect might harbor something undesirable. It can cloud some plastics where 70% IPA wont. Water based polyurethane will not enjoy standing IPA on its surface, oil based poly laughs at it.

Nothing beats a hot shower though

Paper towels/ Napkins and liquid hand sanitizer work pretty well too