RTR?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Van traveling is about the basics and enjoying the moment.
I love professionally built vans and homemade ones. Both can be comfortable, utilitarian and secure. And cute:)

Regarding RTR, I don't see how it can be too crowded when there are 12 MILLION acres of BLM land in AZ. You don't have to park where the crowds are. Can't you drive your rig close to the crowd for the events, then go back to open spaces at night?

Is that a vinyl printer on your counter?
It sure is. But I am using it to cut cardstock kits of miniature buildings rather than vinyl. One of these days I might get around to cutting some vinyl on it. Of course I bought it in 2014 but the calendar companies never seem to add a day called “someday” onto the 7 day week, not even in a leap year.

That small business of making kits is why I needed to do a custom build with lots of extra counter and cabinet space.

Regarding RTR, I don't see how it can be too crowded when there are 12 MILLION acres of BLM land in AZ. You don't have to park where the crowds are. Can't you drive your rig close to the crowd for the events, then go back to open spaces at night?
Since the RTR is taking place in a public park that does not allow camping, everyone has to do just that.

La Posa South is about 3 miles from the event, and that's where Doug's Pirate Camp will be. Of course, lots of folks camp there, but it's not like a regular campground at all. There are no designated campsites, just a lot of acres to spread out on. I'm pretty much a hermit myself, but I camp with the pirate gang, and don't find it intrusive. You can camp there for 14 days for $40, IIRC.

There is a scheduled event for viewing vehicles and the interior at the RTR. People have to sign up to exhibit their builds and the number of vehicle owners who sign up to exhibit will be limited by the size of the physical area of that section of the city park. I have not been to that event so I have no idea if you can walk into a vehicle and look around in it.

The cheap RV living YouTube channel will give you a more in depth tour of a lot more “home build” project vehicles than you could see at the RTR. But for sure just go to the RTR for the experience of being there, learning and having fun conversations.

The RTR is excellent for newbies, but we need something more focused on more skilled folks. I’m thinking something where people can discuss different ways of accomplishing something on a comparative basis rather than there being a single authoritative practice.

A focus on an intermediate to expert level that is also more appropriate for the majority of us who live in a less organized manner.

I think I saw the last of the RTR’s that did this, 2017 or 18 with about 700 people.

DLTooley…What does “live in a less organized manner” mean in the context of an RTR seminar discussion panel for persons who apparently already know the basics of the lifestyle?

Exactly what subject for a discussion panel do you as an experienced nomadic lifestyle person feel you lack enough knowledge in (as it relates to the intended overall goals for the RTR) for a successful nomadic lifestyle?

This vanlivingforum group itself is a good place to start such discussions. Just figure out type of topic heading it belongs under and start that thread and begin the discussion.

Last edited:
I love professionally built vans and homemade ones. Both can be comfortable, utilitarian and secure. And cute:)

Wow.....I didn't know the area was that big. Thanks for the info.

Hey guys, I have a question! What is the Pirate’s camp ? Is it open to anyone or is it a private group? I am so excited to be able to come for the RTR in 2024 ! Hoping to get a couple of seasonal jobs . I am coming in my Chevy Silverado with “hopefully “ a truck cap on the bed . That way I can have that as my build at least until I get done much needed schooling on this lifestyle! I can’t wait to meet some of you especially some other creative people! ☺️

Welcome Angie

Pirate Camp is my gathering in the Winter desert..............It's a Build opportunity............A chance to meet and camp with other like-minded nomads...........Share some FOOD.....nobody goes hungry!........maybe sit at a Camp Fire

I'm a fair craftsman with lots-of-tools and skills..........and I bring together other nomads who want to help.......Being a Nomad is tough..........We try to HELP !..........Beds.....Batteries.....Solar.....Roof Fans.......Wiring.......and MORE

In Quartzsite we stay mostly in the LTVA South........Pay-to-Stay..........Camp is 'close-enough' to the vault toilets to satisfy the Ranger's requirements........The Help is FREE.......of course you need to pay for your materials.

You're welcome to join us......................

Last edited:
Welcome Angie

Pirate Camp is my gathering in the Winter desert..............It's a Build opportunity............A chance to meet and camp with other like-minded nomads...........Share some FOOD.....nobody goes hungry!........maybe sit at a Camp Fire

I'm a fair craftsman with lots-of-tools and skills..........and I bring together other nomads who want to help.......Being a Nomad is tough..........We try to HELP !..........Beds.....Batteries.....Solar.....Roof Fans.......Wiring.......and MORE

In Quartzsite we stay mostly in the LTVA South........Pay-to-Stay..........Camp is 'close-enough' to the vault toilets to satisfy the Ranger's requirements........The Help is FREE.......of course you need to pay for your materials.

You're welcome to join us......................
Thank you so much ! I look forward to joining you ! When do you arrive ? I am not sure what I need but will hopefully learn some things while RTR is going on !
Appreciate you responding so quickly!

We'll arrive Nov 15th........we're in Pahrump now

Mark is in Camp in the LTVA South right now...
We'll arrive Nov 15th........we're in Pahrump now

Mark is in Camp in the LTVA South right now.......holding our spot!
Okay thank you ! I am waiting for my truck cap now . I tried to find a used one for a couple months but no luck . So I ordered one . I was going to come to the caravan in Pahrump but I was asked to dog sit for my daughter . So I missed the first one . I will come when my cap is ready ! Around Dec 1st supposedly. I will message you again if you don’t mind when I am close to Quartzite! I am looking forward to meeting you !

Hey Mike......He's Doing IT.....Same place as always......Minivan and tent............We'll see you soon............

Angie looking forward to it also...............

Abnorm: Actually just the minivan at this point. Tent got torn up. I plan to get just a shower tent probably next month, one big enough for the cassette toilet and to take a shower in. I am looking at the ones with the outer frame so far. Although, thinking about it I might look into a clam, although a shower tent would be less of a hassle and cheaper to replace if need be. Also, I might need to borrow your lug and ferrel crimpers for the power system update. Planning to add the 2nd battery and a Victron smart shunt in a Yakery 2.0 I plan to build.

Angie: Campsite is actually relatively easy to find. Come into La Posa South and go past the first vault toilet on the right. Take the 2nd road on the right past the vault toilet ( first one goes to a different area. There is a Semi parked right across the main road from the road you should take). Go just past the first wash and take a right, look for the green and silver two tone old-as-f**k minivan. :)

VonBrown: Doing ok so far. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. :)

My ETA at the Q Pirate Camp location is just about 24 hours from the time of this posting. As the weather has cooled down some I want to get on down to Quartzsite and set up my rolling Santa’s Workshop quickly and make it temporarily stationary so I can get back to work. It’s packed up and ready to hitch up for an early start. I am not too far away, just further north on Hwy 95 by Lake Havasu City, but I need to make a stop(s) for a couple of items before I get to La Posa South.