RTR?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Reaction score
Well, I've been lurking here a long time, my time to hit-the-road is growing shorter. Thought I'd hit the RTR this year, get my head in the game. Haven't been around since the website sold here much... Is RTR dead? Don't see much mention of any plans for one in 2023 here or on HOWA... ?

Thanks

HOWA board members have said they plan on holding the RTR in 2024. Exact date has not yet been announced. If you want to keep up with the latest announcements from HOWA join the Homes on wheels alliance Facebook page.

yeah.. I don't do Facebook. But, thanks for the update. Guess I am SOL, I waited too long...

Gratzi

yeah.. I don't do Facebook. But, thanks for the update. Guess I am SOL, I waited too long...

Gratzi
It's always been held in January, ever since it started, since that is the month with the big RV show and the heaviest population in Quartzsite.

There are other regular and semi-regular van builds going. You'll just have to keep your ears to the ground. I despise FB too, but the simple fact is that if you are interested in van builds and other kinds of van gatherings, FB is the best place to find them.

This group is a pretty good central place to hear about them, since many folks know to post here, but there is no guarantee that you will hear about them in time to arrange your life, nor is there a guarantee that you will hear about them at all.

Last edited:
Welp, for some reason I was thinking they were around Oct. instead of Jan., so, I thought I was getting a little ahead of the time frame.

Ah well, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, check in here once in a while until I finally give up, throw shit into whatever the build is and roll. Get some of ya all's cell's once I'm out there, I'd reckon. Can't see rolling around for too damn long before running into somebody that knows somebody..

It has almost always been the week before the big tent RV show in Quartzsite as many need to talk to seasonal employers with booths there. There will almost always be groups gathering in the Long Term Visitor Areas on the surrounding BLM lands the first weeks of January.

I'm old and have faded memories. Do I recall seeing and hearing videos of a RTR where certain speakers warned the crowd that no videos or recording of them was allowed?

When it got big enough to have rules I quit going pretty much to the formal secessions. Just being around and seeing how others live this lifestyle was the most interesting part to me. The caravans and groups gathering and meeting people one on one got to be too much for the hermit in me. I eventually drifted further out to avoid the crowds which is easily done with so much open land. Bob Wells and so many others now make money off their videos it has become a competitive business. There are enough videos out there already that many have become “virtual” nomads and only video to make money instead of helping people actually living the lifestyle they are selling entertainment, so yes there are “rules” that come with dealing with large groups and money.

Welp, for some reason I was thinking they were around Oct. instead of Jan., so, I thought I was getting a little ahead of the time frame.

Ah well, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, check in here once in a while until I finally give up, throw shit into whatever the build is and roll. Get some of ya all's cell's once I'm out there, I'd reckon. Can't see rolling around for too damn long before running into somebody that knows somebody..
Many of us think that's the best way to do it in the first place! Unless you've spent a fair amount of time traveling and camping in your vehicle, how will you know what you want? Just because something works great for ME doesn't mean it will work great for YOU.

The only thing you really NEED right from the beginning is a comfortable way to sleep. You don't actually need a "build" to start, in fact, IMO, you're better off without one, because your ideas of what you need and how to organize it WILL change over time. Buy yourself some totes and organize your camping stuff. You don't need a house battery or solar unless you have a refrigerator. Take lots of short trips within a couple hours of your home. Find out how YOU like to live. It won't take long for you to start figuring out what you want and how to organize it. When I started, I would come back from a trip and ask myself what is the ONE thing I felt the lack of the most? Then I'd address that one thing and take another trip.

I don't have insulation or walls, and that works great for ME. My main storage is three thrift store dressers strapped in. It works great for ME. (Going on my fourth year full time.)

Last edited:
Just being around and seeing how others live this lifestyle was the most interesting part to me.

Well, that was my goal. If your point is that HOWA has devolved since then due to money, well, I guess I won't make it a priority.

Many of us think that's the best way to do it in the first place! Unless you've spent a fair amount of time traveling and camping in your vehicle, how will you know what you want? Just because something works great for ME doesn't mean it will work great for YOU.

Yeah man, I get ya. Appreciate it. Pretty much been boondocking my whole life, just didn't know there was a term for that until a couple years ago. Out on the east coast tho, different monster out here without BLM.... So... yeah... I am confident I can throw shit in and survive, but the goal is to thrive. It'll be a WIP, no matter how far along I get. Honestly.... I'd guess vehicle, no walls, no ceiling, house batt, some solar, small fridge, bed, recycled garage shelving or dressers or other storage, bunch of tools and 'oh shit' tools, and work the rest out as it comes... It's worked so far, still this side of the dirt.

There is still a great opportunity to meet and form community by going, maybe join a caravan for a while and you should if nothing else to see all the different living ideas, but the real benefit of instructive classes are pretty much covered by Bob Wells videos in my opinion.

I think Descend on Bend is usually in Sept-Oct...

Sue Ann Carlson of HOWA just announced on the HOWA Facebook page the projected schedule date for the 2024 RTR, the start date of the fall caravans and potential date for a possible fall Van build. If they cannot get insurance for a Van build they will give away a vehicle or two that are ready for nomadic living.

Gratzi
Welcome back, Doc! I don't do FB either. To stay abreast of the RTR 2023, I kept my eye on the HOWA website; the dates were posted there early enough for my plans last round. I did not make it to Quartzsite as I was helping out a friend post-surgery, but plan to be there next year! I've never made it to the big show and I would love to meet the fine people in this forum at pirate camp in 2024!!!!

Here you go, photo images captured from the HOWA Facebook page. The 2024 RTRs will likely take place sometime between Jan 8-19. That is as close of a date as HOWA is willing to commit to at this time. Also shown is the info for the restart date of the caravans and the fall van giveaway or possible build event. This information was posted by the current HOWA president of the board. She is of course the most reliable source of info.

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpeg
    IMG_0982.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0981.jpeg
    IMG_0981.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I was thinking of going to RTR 2024 but it may be too populated for me to enjoy...kind of like going to Sturgis. Like others, I want to see what other van builders are doing in their rigs. I have seen so many professional build videos........they look like camper vans you would buy at RV dealerships. I want that home made flavor. Van traveling is about the basics and enjoying the moment.

I was thinking of going to RTR 2024 but it may be too populated for me to enjoy...kind of like going to Sturgis. Like others, I want to see what other van builders are doing in their rigs. I have seen so many professional build videos........they look like camper vans you would buy at RV dealerships. I want that home made flavor. Van traveling is about the basics and enjoying the moment.
My version of “home made flavor”
I can’t help myself, I have spent too many years acquiring skills. It is entirely homemade by me though.
IMG_0744.jpeg