Should HOWA be a Membership Organization?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a person that has been self employed for most of my adult life, I can say that I do well with the running the business part. But I'm less than stellar at paperwork.

Having close family that has worked closely with a non profit, and had one themselves, I can say that the paperwork, and other administrative requirements are daunting for some. I decided against doing a 501c specifically for that reason. I had just about everything in place, but I knew I would spend more time with my computer and printer than the work I wanted to do. For some the paperwork is a walk in the park. That's just not me.

I remember when this forum was a lot smaller. Bob and the others posted quite a bit, and we're engaged and helpful. Hell, I wanted to go buy a Prius at one point because Suanne make it seem so cool. Bob was just Bob. And still is.

He started this site to help others believe they could do this thing. Go back and read his posts. But from when you started reading the forum. Go back. And you tell me if you can see where he posted anything that wasn't respectful or want trying to help someone.

These are people just trying to help other people. If you dislike the way they handle the paperwork, offer your CPA skills and non profit expertise. They seem to be busy doing the work they set out to do.

Years ago when eBay was young, they had message boards. I was a member of a board and someone invited me to check out the giving board. It was an amazing collection of people working together to help those in need. We would sell items with an angel symbol that became known with eBay regulars. An auction with that symbol meant that the proceeds would do towards helping someone. We donated items and clothes, sent care packages, cards, you name it. We did a lot of good. And had such a fun time doing it. Great people, great times, and just so much good that was being done. New people would come in and chip in for they could. It was truly amazing. A couple years passed and someone that was relatively new thought that we should make it all more formal. They had thoughts I on how it would be better if eBay was involved, and this person was in charge.

The majority of the board, especially the older group, didn't really want that. We had a system and it worked for us and those we helped. There was a bit of a split, and the newer person contacted eBay and became the defacto leader of the giving board. They put rules and processes into place. A framework of do's and don'ts, and so on. It was the beginning of the end. We all tried our best to work within the new rules, but it just wasn't as productive and helpful. It was truly a low point. Eventually most of the group left. I did come by from time to time, but it was a husk of what it has been. It went from the giving board, to a modified giving board. Then it morphed into eBay gives. You'd think that was a good thing. But it ended up being some generic thing that was already being done by other big charities. The individuals and families we used to help weren't big enough to bother with. But everyone felt so proud of the new improved system they had created.

I rarely think about it these days because it's one of the few things that really hurts when it comes to mind. We had the best of groups doing the best of things. No one was worried about tax deductions and how much was being given to this person or that. Everyone did and gave as they wanted.

And it was ruined by someone that convinced a few others that our way wasn't good enough. It should be done in a more fair and democratic way. Allocating this and controlling that. Vetting those that asked for help in a way that wasn't comfortable at that time. I wish they had started another board and done their board their way. Then both could have been happy and helped even more people.

So with that in mind I'll just say this. If you have an actual problem, speak your grievances clearly and plainly. Don't allude to how things have been done and infer what might have could have should have happened. Give examples so we can better understand what issues you're trying to get across. No vague sort of kind of explaining. Blunt and to the point please. It's just easier than some general complaints we have to try and figure out.

And don't take over someone else's work and make it yours. Make your own and show us. That's something I can and would respect.
Where do you find I’m trying to take over anyone’s work? There is no basis for that comment.

It’s the implication that there is something nefarious afoot, about an organization many, many of us support and many, many have also been helped by.

I don’t believe this belongs here, where HOWA is not, nor that this vague but still dark conversation is in keeping with the ideals and values of this forum.

I believe your grievance, whatever it is, is with them, and belongs there.

A membership organization would be a way to reorganize.

And this implies some ownership here of HOWA, some ability to make them become what you want them to be, which does not exist.

Advocating here for some kind of forcible takeover there is just confounding to me.

If you don’t like what they are doing, and how they are doing it, take your money and interests elsewhere.

A couple of questions:
Who would be eligible for membership?​
Who rules on an individuals eligibility?​
Once eligible, what is required to become a member?​
What are the rights/responsibilities of membership?​
Membership qualifications in small organizations is important because it doesn't take many to 'take over' (this is what happened to a lot of HOA's).

IMO RTR got too big.

There are thousands of small non-profits that have a single goal. They are usually started on a vision of an individual or small group. They stay focused; nothing wrong with that.

Those of you who give time and/or money have a vote. Smart organizations listen to those who invest in their cause. Those that do not respond don't last long.
It is certainly possible to get a bad result from a membership organization. I don’t think rules are what makes a success, it’s the people.

At one time that would have been the active membership of this forum. Based on the negative nature of the responses to my general suggestion for discussion that is no longer necessarily the case.

I have no idea of the current board’s ability to do so.

The alternative at this time has no formal organization - in part to avoid BLM bureaucracy. It’s working ok. There are issues, but it is evolving. I don’t see that at all with HOWA, but I haven’t been since 2020.

Van Aid, starting now at Plomosa for the second year, is probably the best. Do choose your distance from the party crowd instead of putting on a HOWA control freak as was a big part of the history.

It’s the implication that there is something nefarious afoot, about an organization many, many of us support and many, many have also been helped by.

I don’t believe this belongs here, where HOWA is not, nor that this vague but still dark conversation is in keeping with the ideals and values of this forum.

I believe your grievance, whatever it is, is with them, and belongs there.
I have made no assertions of malicious actions on the part of HOWA. I will make that assertion on your post for coming to that conclusion without a basis.

I would presume that there may well be reasons why you have interpreted this way, along with some of the males here as well.

Nonetheless it is still your responsibility not to continue the chain, the cycle.

The op has said they have something they are working on. And I replied.
It’s three years, it’s not organized, and I am a small player. It’s lots of small players working constructively that makes a good organization, regardless of the legal form.

I don’t see how you find that the fact I haven’t responded to a rather passive aggressive statement is proof of implied negativity on my part.

It would be fine with me if HOWA was membership only. I would not join. Perhaps from 68 years of dealing with groups and people who perceive themselves as powerful, I choose to avoid them. Many "worthwhile" organizations have a sinister side. Google St. Jude Hoards 5 BILLION as an example. Charities can be a great front for the self interested and greedy. I am not very familiar with HOWA. but in its early days it seemed like all those getting help were friends of the board of directors. Maybe it is changed? They do their vehicle builds about a mile from my house in Pahrump. Being pretty handy myself, I do charity work for others without being part of HOWA. Maybe I am childish, but it upsets me when others take credit for my efforts. I work for free, and see no reason that others should be filling their bank with contributions because of work I did. Look how many people HOWA has helped! And by the way thanks volunteers. enjoy your pat on the head.
I think the one to one help is more effective. I do that as well and there are lots of informal efforts as well including Van aid at Plomosa this weekend, pirate camp, and the two nomads helping nomads Facebook groups.

Helping people is hard work, I’m just glad there are people able and willing to do it! The bigger groups or organizations or the things they attempt to get done the harder it is for one person or even a small group of people to run. Same thing happened with this forum. It just got to be too big and too much work for Bob Wells as he stated. The option he took was to sell it so he could have more time. Hopefully HOWA will continue to grow as the need is definitely growing and those running it continue the great work they are doing by getting more help before they burnout. Best wishes to all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.