RTR shelter idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minivanmotoman

Reaction score
Have been toying with the idea of a cargo trailer build mainly due to weather protection cold, rain and wind. Great for winter in Q but not so great to haul around the rest of the year. Tent in the cold rain and wind, not durable. Brainstorming alternatives and currently the idea of a half pvc greenhouse covered in plastic tied into my van for 8*6*8 warming, dining, sitting covered area. Very doable.
Two questions.
1. How would the rangers view this in Q? Allowed?
2. Easily setup and removed but how comfortable would it be from Dec to Feb? Get too hot require shade and venting but oh so worth it in the chill?
Suggestions and ideas on how to make it work would be great as well. At low cost, if lasted only a season still worthwhile. https://goo.gl/images/snmQ6j

tomato-costume-for-adults-bc-808607a.jpg

I think if you wore one of these no one would know you were even in there.

But seriously, I don't think that would survive winter desert winds.

Attachments

• tomato-costume-for-adults-bc-808607a.jpg
    tomato-costume-for-adults-bc-808607a.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 15
IMO, on most days it would get to hot even in the months you said. highdesertranger

Just a thought....

Since the winter sun angle is pretty low, why not use an easy-up type canopy with the south facing panel (and maybe the east facing panel) made of clear plastic, with the other panels of canvas or plastic sheeting to match the top....

Both clear plastic panels and shade panels are available that will fit the most common easy up type shade canopies.

Some just use a large sun umbrella because it packs easier and smaller than the shade canopies.

It needs to be quick and easy to put away because the winds can come up rather fast in the desert!

I grabbed a 8x10 silver tarp last year as well as a couple of hanks of paracord, 3 adjustable tent poles and some good ground stakes. With my high top it got set at the van roof line and tied off on the drivers' side.

Go to Google Images and search for "monkey hut". Then go to Google WEB to get the instructions.

Easy ups often blow away in Q weather. Monkey huts too much work IMHO! A portable garage might be better w rachet straps tying it down. Of course hanging onto a budget , waiting and figuring it out after arrival might be a better option...we nomadic types change our ideas a lot.

Keep it Simple,
Simply,
Lesa

SimplyLesa.blogspot.com
Facebook, Tapatalk, CheapRVLiving.com, G+,

Standard Easy ups and green houses surely wouldn't last a strong wind. Question is what would work and would it be worth it. But with extra reinforcement, strapped and staked down, tight up against the van, hmmmmmm....
Still not giving up on the idea even though the obvious.
Some combination of a reinforced arc from van roof to ground covered in something strong enough to withstand.
What direction is the prevailing wind in that area over the winter? Generally in one direction? NW?

Ken in Anaheim said:
Go to Google Images and search for "monkey hut". Then go to Google WEB to get the instructions.

thx, great creativity there. Just learned something new, monkey huts. Neat.

the prevailing wind depends on where the storm front is. prepare for any direction. if you tie it tight to your vehicle and it's windy, you will mess up your paint. highdesertranger

^^^ good points but I like overcoming obstacles. Keeps the mind challenged.

If you are considering a small trailer...

Some people drive a basic car (etc) that they can sleep in during good weather, and keep a small trailer for the times they may be 'trapped' by periods of bad weather. If you were planning on spending Oct to March in the Quartzsite area, for example, you could store a small trailer for the rest of the year.

A tent trailer might be another option, but I don't know how they do in wind. A teardrop?

Take a look at more of the burning man structures. A while back a foam hexayert was built on a a cheap small trailer frame covered with painted canvas and driven at interstate speeds with no damage so a cheap enclosed trailer is possible. Some of them are made to take down and transport. Insulation for 100 degree temps should be good enough for 40 degree cold temps. Wind blows both summer and winter and only occasionally goes above 75 MPH.

Generally in AZ we figure that storm winds will come from SW and then again, it swirls around or is unpredictable!

Keep it Simple,
Simply,
Lesa

SimplyLesa.blogspot.com
Facebook, Tapatalk, CheapRVLiving.com, G+,

Just my personal opinion, but I think you're over-planning things -- especially if you haven't been there before. As for weather: wind, yes, but not always strong (Bob set up a teepee one year to show how much better they stay up in the wind, but then there was barely any wind); 50-50 chance of it being chilly, but not that cold; maybe a 25% chance of rain. I say go with whatever you have, and if the minivan gets too cramped, wander around and make friends with people who set up large camps and have room for guests to hang out.

Hmmmm, wonder if this would work?
And how much wind it could resist?
IMG_20180105_164128-640x480.jpg
Lowe's was liquidating polycarbonite which claims is indestructible and nuke proof. ;)
Testing, one two, testing...

Attachments

• IMG_20180105_164128-640x480.jpg
    IMG_20180105_164128-640x480.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 29
highdesertranger said:
the prevailing wind depends on where the storm front is.  prepare for any direction.  if you tie it tight to your vehicle and it's windy,  you will mess up your paint.  highdesertranger

Hard to mess up desert tan latex ain't it!

You can build a Monkey Hut for pretty cheap:

http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

This is Burning Man winds tested... I build one myself in 2014 and it held up in 60+ mph winds... it just needs to be tied down well; at BM the ground (Playa) is a hard crusted alkaline clay, but it's pretty easy to drive 18 inch re-bar stakes in. In Quartzsite the ground is very hard packed gravel and stone, so that might not work as an anchor, but as long as you find a way to properly tie down the Monkey Hut, you would have a very good outer shelter for sun, rain and wind. Then build a tent on the inside and you're set. Don't ever build your campsite in a wash though... you can literally be washed away when a strong rainstorm hits! ;)

Here's the one I build in 2014:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iqhJKsHZLcSvvqlL2
qp6FAXGqZ-inD_RUYyvU6-54-yFO669yogTX2YZbMn7mhBp_u09kPv-BSfZtxQQYJzJnBTHF6Ss1BS3TGhhZ-FCbz3_0pK8T4SGLXN3Q0lR9aVTwyQ4uiN4dWjj_Ss5Yuzc_Ut7T3RWgeUr-1OMCP19pPEAi6gsRXSMfL1BFixVXSKCMSSuafHEK9TwQtAqj8FVPmn9Q05Q4h9vfIAE7GS-kXAxqU8LBHFNmzSXo1ok6_8wyPaix_b32SlWRSmcYLVbhggkta7d42aYp7qU0dAj16LwQ4fmrhxfJFSDGF88hcZ4raV-BjaMEqeLEAC8vd5mkvZMSYvY_uT2Z2_3X2wod_opVDEBsOoMVtL33FFHljWQq0UmR3Ftp9T23CiOltI6SaEIWatIMmB2tZadLudrhmZjFfUZSiQpafAUatYqdwxsdibtdaR2sMmWwBJEHq9YdxdGSDoMqSM62o_UULcnuaAUfwmNs0pIYJfa8Lu6rs-_0tTv5ll57xJJMxHC2qaT9GwseFu8TxwR9-eEt5UX7fU8pDMLhLk5eG5hICfaVqquGpAo0D54a3LJOVNsPYOZjW9V4yNPB5rUV6Elk06vMLc3NLhl2pFQboFQ=w1759-h990-no

And don't forget, the UV rays and desert air are not kind to plastic. You'll be replacing everything often.

Latest posts