RTR 2014 Schedule Posted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dragon do you really want to drive across I-40 in January?

I would save that trip for next year when you would leave in the summer months use I-80 and take your time plus you will have the national recreation pass.

Just getting to North Florida via West Virginia or Kentucky will be a struggle but because of the shorter distance you will have a much better chance of making a run for it during a period of fair weather. Once you get on the south side of the Appalachian Mountains you are out of the severe weather.

Dragon do you really want to drive across I-40 in January? from mr looreed

This is a big concern of mine and will have to wait to see what happens. As it stands, I have a possible delivery to make in Tuscon about that time and will get a few hundred for it.
I have been holed up on TX for a few days several years ago due to bad weather.

I got here last night~~~

After driving through a blizzard, LA traffic, Little cars with wings that pass on both sides of me as I drive down the highway~~~ I got to Quartzite, and then 5 miles of road that was built in the 40's, the 1.4 miles of dirt road was a pleasure. But no Bob!

Nothing to do but look at the junk shops and wonder what I will do with actual time to myself!

GotSmart said:
I got here last night~~~

After driving through a blizzard, LA traffic, Little cars with wings that pass on both sides of me as I drive down the highway~~~ I got to Quartzite, and then 5 miles of road that was built in the 40's, the 1.4 miles of dirt road was a pleasure. But no Bob!

Nothing to do but look at the junk shops and wonder what I will do with actual time to myself!

He isn't there yet, Bob just did a new blog post. I'll tell you what you can do, send good vibes to me that the weather up here holds and I can make it there around the 12th or so. Picture me in Quartzite!

Attachments

• camper serenity   Sept 2014 Flower Garden 2222.jpg
    camper serenity Sept 2014 Flower Garden 2222.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 14
I'm still in Ehrenberg and will move over to Qzt either Saturday or Sunday.

it has been cold and windy here, they even got some snow flurries inn metro Phoenix and we had snow on the mountains around us!!! But the forecast for the 6th is very nice!!

I don't recommend anybody take I-40 across NM or AZ, it's just too high and unpredictable. Drop down to I-20 and then onto I-10 as soon as you can then come across. It could still be cold but greatly reduced chances of snow. It did snow in Tuscon last year!

But anything is possible, the last time i drove through Atlanta was on January 1st and it snowed!! And in the teens all the way across the SouthEast.
Bob

weather in wv has been very mild so far (relatively), not to say it cant change at any moment but i think we might get off light this year. I think we only had 2 pretty light snows so far and pretty warm during the day. Last year this time is was snow and near 0 temps by now.

I am hanging out and "exploring" what is here.

They have the best smelling laundromat I have ever been in!

I'm hoping to get there next week some time, if only for a day or two. Would like to meet y'all!

It's been a reaallyy BIG turnout so far!! Many, many wonderful people full of smiles and delighted to meet other folks with the same spirit!!

See ya soon!
Bob

Didn't really plan on coming to the RTR because I've been feeling pretty reclusive lately. But I realized it was only a 4-hour drive and that I could go to the seminars and hopefully learn a lot. And that I could be social or not. So I'm glad to be here and will make an effort to get out of my shell. I'm the one in the white van, for those of you here. I don't look like my avatar though. :)

Hi Iggy. There are a lot of white vans! :) Which one are you?

You can be as social or unsocial as you'd like. The easiest way to met people is just walk up to them and introduce yourself. This is the first RTR for many people and they're feeling just as timid as you so it doesn't take much to start a friendly conversation if you want to do that. It's okay if you don't though.

The nightly campfire is a friendly place too.

I'm in a Ford cargo van right smack dab in the middle. With Oregon plates. I have chatted with several people and will many more. I'm usually fairly quiet in a group setting though. I'm not a grouch, just more accustomed to being alone. Anyone is welcome to stop and chat. I'm open to opinions on my van set up too. I'm here to learn and see different ways of living the dream. :)

I'll be doing a talk on LiFePO4 batteries Tuesday Jan 13 at 2:00pm. See my blog if you want a spoiler. :)

LeeRevell said:
How is the weather out there right now? Getting chilly on the East Coast now.

Nice enough today, but predictions are for rain and cold. It might not get hotter than the mid-60's next week, and a 40% chance of rain Sunday. Several days ago it got below freezing at night, but none of that in current predictions.

Wishing I could be there but enjoying reading the posts about all that are enjoying the RTR.

decodancer said:
Wishing I could be there but enjoying reading the posts about all that are enjoying the RTR.

Same here, sure wish I could be there as well. Please, keep posting so us non-go'ers may get to experience it vicariously through the web. :)

Latest posts