Hi gang! New here. Eager to learn.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zythophile

Reaction score
Vandwelling is something I've been pondering for the past few months, kinda in a daydreamy oh-this-will-never-be-feasible way, but over the past couple of weeks, I've gone down the rabbithole of YouTube van conversion buildout videos. OMG there is so much to take in! But having watched I don't know how many videos, and seen such a variety of ways to tackle all the aspects of buildouts... I realize more and more that it is feasable. So I'm taking lots of notes, bookmarking lots of pages, watching people do things right, watching people do things wrong and then later realize what they did and do it right the next time. It's oddly fascinating.

I hope to be in the position in a year or so to pull the trigger on a project myself. Plenty of time to do more research, get my ducks in a row, and be prepared to do things in the proper order, in the proper manner, and end up with a rig that I'm very happy with, and that I don't regret any choices I made on the way.

There's so much of this country (US) that I have yet to see, and being able to just pick up and roll to wherever strikes me as such an amazing way to explore. And besides that, one of the big draws for me would be visiting all the craft breweries across the country. I'm a huge craft beer nerd; in recent years, largely on two-to-three-week summer roadtrips (not this year, grrr), I've ticked off over four hundred breweries. Being independent and mobile would make it so much easier to expand that count exponentially. Incidentally that's the meaning of the forum ID I chose, "zythophile" - it basically means "A person who loves beer". (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/zythophile) In the van designs I've got puttering around in my head, I even have plans for a mini-kegerator setup with two taps mounted in the kitchen area. Mwahahahhaha. :)

I'm looking forward to getting to know many of you better, learning from your posts and comments, and hopefully, one day, I can roll to a gathering and put faces to names.

Do yourself a favor and make one of those accessories a breathalyzer disable ignition ! Lol!!!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Being independent and mobile "zythophile" will get you in deep doo-doo, and hurt you or hurt others.
Don't phile the zythos and drive off to the next brewery.

And for your timeframe: Count for twice as long as you plan for building the van. We all thought it will be as easy as YouTube makes it to be.
Welcome and good luck.

Sofisintown said:
Being independent and mobile  "zythophile" will get you in deep doo-doo, and hurt you or hurt others.
Don't phile the zythos and drive off to the next brewery.

I don't mess around on that front. I've known too many people that have gotten busted, they're very good cautionary tales. Besides that, I don't overindulge as a rule, even at home.

you don't have to overindulge anymore. any amount will get you in trouble.

oh yeah welcome.

highdesertranger

I think lots of nomadic enjoy going to breweries and wineries o their travels. It is absolutely a tradition in Europe as well.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :)

I was an amateur brewer in school days....and some since then.   :D   I learned to brew small batches in gallon jugs
with a balloon attached to the top using frozen grape juice for wine, and a can of Red Top malt extract for various  amounts of extract to brew beer.   I like the dark beers and ordered Vierka  German yeast.   I dated this German girl at school who was into it and taught me what she knew.   We also used "depecttinizer" and rendered jars of European jelly & jam into liquids we could ferment.

As to your research into vehicles and ways and means of travel,  I'd invite you to check out the two links at the bottom.  1) for converting a Van, Trailer, Car, or even a Bicycle (as a grocery getter or errand runner)  and 2) a Portal of handy info with huge list of links to handy things when traveling.  All of this to make your travels safer, more  comfortable, and convenient.

All the best ! 

Vierka Yeast
https://eckraus.com/vierka-german-beer-yeast/
https://eckraus.com/vierka-german-beer-yeast/

Zythophile said:
 I'm a huge craft beer nerd; in recent years, largely on two-to-three-week summer roadtrips (not this year, grrr), 

Can you target micro  breweries that have  out the door specialty beers canned or bottled and just take back to camp and enjoy so that their are no issues on the road.  [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm afraid i[/font]t's going to be a numbers game of statistics if not.