Roof solar panels worthwhile

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklee

Reaction score
I'm having to run my Ducato Bessacarr E460 every 7-10 days to avoid low charge. Are solars the answer? How much roughly should I pay? Thanks for any advice.

A lot depends on having sunny skies at your location and how close your are to someplace like San Tan Solar to get low priced panels. If you are not close It may be that since you seem to be stationary most of the time, have light load usage and unfamiliar with solar a cheap portable solar panel with a built in controller might be best as there are not installation costs.

Do this math equation to find out if it is worth it to you. “Cost per recharge calculated over a set period of time over time”. Also do not forget to include the labor, tools and materials needed for the installation.

You are the one and only person who can determine that as it involves factors unknown to us who are reading your question. We do not know what you want system you plan to buy, what you plan to use that needs power.

I can tell you that what I bought and installed has been well worth the financial investment and also the labor time I put into my solar setup. I am now starting into year 4 and it is still functioning for full time use 24/7, 365 days of the year without any problems and none of the components have needed upgrading or replacing. I am not using portable panels or a portable power station. Those are not nearly as durable as a fixed in place system.

Last edited:
I’m with Bullfrog on this. Doesn’t sound like you’re using to many amps if only once a week you need to top off a low charge.

I have used a GoPower 120 watt portable fold up solar panel with 10amp charge controller now for 7 years with ZERO issues. I grade it a perfect 100 A+. It came with solid aluminum frame, a 15’ cord with Anderson connectors. I also got it with a 30’ xtra cord so have a 45’ radius; 90 foot diameter range for keeping it in the sun while vehicle is parked in shade.

Was about 500$ if I recall and just recently upgraded the controller for LFP4 battery. That was about 100$.

INTJohn

Thank you. portable solar panels should be my answer.

There's a dark side to roof mounted solar panels that no one talks about. No pun intended. You're going to have to park up out in the sun for the panels to do their thing.

You might consider increasing your battery capacity, add some roof mounted solar panels, add a portable solar panel set, install DC2DC charging and carry a small generator. Configured correctly, you should be able to recharge the batteries using all at the same time.

A few advantages of roof mounted solar panels:
I get charging while driving,​
I don't worry about my panels walking while I'm away from camp,​
I don't have to store them.​
..... You're going to have to park up out in the sun for the panels to do their thing .....
I get charging even under low light conditions. Depending on light levels:
I get enough to bring my batteries to full by the end of the day,​
or​
I get enough to not further deplete my batteries during the day,​
or​
I don't.​

OP didn't give enough information to advise on best solution.
How do you recharge your batteries now?​
How many amp hours a day do you use?​
How big is your battery bank?​
What chemistry is your batteries?​
Where do you camp?​

As to cost: it depends on how much solar you need and how much of the install you can do yourself.

Most people here produce all their power with solar panels... and I doubt anyone is familiar with this vehicle. I did some searching, but could find nothing regarding battery capacity or charging. I'm going to guess it has at least one lead acid battery for the house. A portable panel that you can hook up to the battery when parked, might make the most sense. BTW, if you completely discharging a lead acid battery, it will wear out pretty quick.

PMH241.used_van_buyer.uvb_02-726x508.jpg

There's a dark side to roof mounted solar panels that no one talks about. No pun intended. You're going to have to park up out in the sun for the panels to do their thing.

You might consider increasing your battery capacity, add some roof mounted solar panels, add a portable solar panel set, install DC2DC charging and carry a small generator. Configured correctly, you should be able to recharge the batteries using all at the same time.
If you are recharging a battery using a gasoline or propane powered generator that typicall requires an AC to DC charger. Although I did purchase a special cable set for my Honda generator I can directly charge a car with. But it is a much slower way the charge a DC battery than it is to plug a standard AC car charger unit into my generator and hook that onto my AGM house battery or my cars starter battery.

A few advantages of roof mounted solar panels:
I get charging while driving,​
I don't worry about my panels walking while I'm away from camp,​
I don't have to store them.​
I can charge my portable while driving too so permanent roof mount isn’t necessarily an advantage. I installed wing nut bolt thru clamps for mounting my go power aluminum frame portable and if I’m driving a long distance it’s a couple mins to put it up there securely mounted.

I’ve never had any issue with theft where ever I’ve parked but one can always just steal your entire vehicle - y settle for just the solar panels? 😂

Yes you do have to store them. They’re just stored on top of your vehicle using up valuable 2nd story party deck space or a great place to sleep on a warm moonlit nite 😎

jonny koon swoonin the moon 👍🏼😎🤙

I can charge my portable while driving too so permanent roof mount isn’t necessarily an advantage .....
It depends on if climbing up on your roof is a disadvantage or not. At 74 its a disadvantage for me.
..... I’ve never had any issue with theft where ever I’ve parked but one can always just steal your entire vehicle - y settle for just the solar panels? .....
A little harder to steal my vehicle: first he'd have to steal my key fob or copy the code, then he'd need to figure out why the truck still won't start. One reason I never lock or open the truck doors remotely.
Portable: unplug, grab, run.

Personally I try to avoid having anything on my roof, since I like to be able to knock low branches out of the way. If I change my mind and want to generate gigawatts of power, there is plenty of unused real estate up there.

I like portables due to flexibility of placement. I figure I've erred if I get even one uninvited visitor in a week, and the odds that this person would be a thief are pretty small. Solar panels are cheap and easy to replace, anyway.

It all depends on use, and since this varies a lot among nomads, the OP really needs to provide more info...