Roof leak

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
My roof just developed a small leak.  I'm pretty sure it's leaking around a screw or screws that are holding my solar panels down.   Can I just Dicor around those or do I need to replace the screws and recaulk it? 

Thanks.

I did. I drilled holes, filled them full of Dicor, screwed them down and covered with more Dicor.

Picture? It sounds like you did it right. you used the self leveling Dicor, right? Are you sure it's coming from there? Highdesertranger

Be sure it is not condensation, for some reason screws tend to attract it. Tape some paper towels up there and narrow down where the moisture is. Did you use L brackets? Did you put some Dicor under the brackets as well as the screw holes? once the Dicor has set up I believe you will have better results if you clean it off before reapplying new sealant.

It's not condensation. It's a leak. The panels have been up there for about 4 years now and it's just starting to leak. I am not 100% positive that's where it's leaking from, but I don't know where else it could be. When the 40 days and night of this rain stops, I'll try and get a better look.

I recently watched a video about resealing around vents etc on an RV roof with self leveling Dicor. The guy removed the Dicor that was dried up and or loose then cleaned it up with alcohol and went right over it with a new coat.

I used Eternabond tape underneath the solar panel mounts then screwed them down right into the roof of the van without squeezing the tape too much and then coated the screw heads and around the brackets with the self leveling Dicor. I noticed that the Dicor is starting to shrink a little which is why I watched that video. The panels have been up there for around 18 months or so.

I'm just going to clean it up and then reseal with more of the Dicor