Damaged my Fiberglass

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow4303

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all! The screw that provides tension to strings in accordion mini blinds came out of the wall. It's too shallow for a wall anchor, so I used the same screw and made a new hole w said screw just below the original location.

I used a screw driver, not a drill, but turned it one time too many. There is a little 5mm mound of damaged fiberglass at the end of the screw (on the outside wall of the RV), and little bits of fiberglass are ready to flake off.

I immediately retracted the screw. Now I'm wondering if I can repair the damage myself, and if so, does anyone have experience with fiberglass repair kits I see all over the internet? Or other possible solutions? Thank you!

I would think you could just shove a little of a JB Weld putty stick into the cracks on the outside as well as put some in the hole on the inside. Once it has hardened drill a shallow starter hole for a shorter screw or use a couple small washers on the original one.

Epoxy putty stick, the kind you knead to mix the inner core and outside material together. Use a small counter sink to create a wider spot for the putty to bind to, otherwise it just pushes into and right on thru the hole. Level it smooth right after it hardens to make touch up sanding easy.

I have done a lot of fiberglass repairs and promise that method will repair the hole nicely without shedding tears or needing much skill either. I have a 51 year old fiberglass trailer that I bought as a derelict. It needed lots of fiberglass repairs, large and small. I went through more than a few epoxy putty sticks doing small exterior defect filling fixing it up. Those repairs have not failed or come loose. The brand of epoxy putty stick is not important, you do not need super high strength for this task. Do not get the type that has bits of steel in it.

Last edited:
I like those ideas. Depending on the size of the whole, I have found super glue and baking soda to work too. But since it's on a verticle service, the epoxy would be the best bet.

Epoxy putty stick, the kind you knead to mix the inner core and outside material together. Use a small counter sink to create a wider spot for the putty to bind to, otherwise it just pushes into and right on thru the hole. Level it smooth right after it hardens to make touch up sanding easy.

I have done a lot of fiberglass repairs and promise that method will repair the hole nicely without shedding tears or needing much skill either. I have a 51 year old fiberglass trailer that I bought as a derelict. It needed lots of fiberglass repairs, large and small. I went through more than a few epoxy putty sticks doing small exterior defect filling fixing it up. Those repairs have not failed or come loose. The brand of epoxy putty stick is not important, you do not need super high strength for this task. Do not get the type that has bits of steel in it.
My only concern is sanding the surface. I got a clear coat on the rig in October. I don't want to damage it. 😁 I will weigh the options against my "skills." Thank you!

Do a small touch up paint over the epoxy putty repair. No need to get too stressed out over fixing a small screw hole. When you get out there on the road you are going to be acquiring lots of dings and chips in the gel coat from rocks and gravel. There is no way to avoid that. So you will have plenty of other spots of filler and touch up to go along with that first small fiberglass repair.

Last edited:
Do a small touch up paint over the epoxy putty repair. No need to get too stressed out over fixing a small screw hole.
I will need to acquire some touch-up paint, will investigate that today.

I found a JB Weld epoxy putty called ClearWeld that is fiberglass compatible, so thought I would give that a try. If I'm lucky, it will work as well as the putty that dries in an off white color, and maybe I won't need to touch this one up. I believe Amazon is delivering the epoxy putty today, will let ya'll know how things shake out once I get it applied and it cures a bit. :) Thank you!!

Do a small touch up paint over the epoxy putty repair. No need to get too stressed out over fixing a small screw hole. When you get out there on the road you are going to be acquiring lots of dings and chips in the gel coat from rocks and gravel. There is no way to avoid that. So you will have plenty of other spots of filler and touch up to go along with that first small fiberglass repair.
Excellent point. The only way to never ding your RV is to leave it sitting in the driveway or in a garage but, that is not what RVs are for. It is good to learn how to repair dings and scratches in both metal and fiberglass because, as you perfectly pointed out, using and enjoying the RV will provide an opportunity to fix more of them. I use JB Weld for many things and always keep several varieties in my toolboxes.

I would think you could just shove a little of a JB Weld putty stick into the cracks on the outside as well as put some in the hole on the inside. Once it has hardened drill a shallow starter hole for a shorter screw or use a couple small washers on the original one

Excellent point. The only way to never ding your RV is to leave it sitting in the driveway or in a garage but, that is not what RVs are for. It is good to learn how to repair dings and scratches in both metal and fiberglass because, as you perfectly pointed out, using and enjoying the RV will provide an opportunity to fix more of them. I use JB Weld for many things and always keep several varieties in my toolboxes.
I accidentally did this with screws too long that protruded through the outside fiberglass. I hurriedly cut a piece of rubber roof repair and put it over my mistake. I figured it would be a good temporary solution; 7 years later and it's still holding up. Doesn't look pretty but it's working 🙂

^^^ yep I’ve done that too! My dad put new seats in his fiberglass boat while it was on the trailer, couldn’t understand why it wouldn’t come off the trailer when he got to the lake! Lol!!!

I am not familiar with the Clearweld material. I do know that regular clear 2 part epoxy has to be painted over as it is damaged by UV exposure.

I got some damage on the front of my trailer last fall that I will be fixing this spring. I will be driving through Parker Arizona and Lake Havasu City today. Both towns have good Marine supply stores so I can stop and get the repair materials that are needed.

When I was at Walmart today I saw the Clearweld product on the shelf in the adhesives section.

Clearweld is nothing more than a part A and part B epoxy resin and hardener in a twin tube chamber with a nozzle that mixes the components as they are being dispensed. It is not epoxy putty. As I stated earlier, that type of epoxy is not UV damage resistant. It is just a typical epoxy such as the common 5 minute epoxy types. It will need painting should you manage to fill the hole with it.

JB Weld has a different Epoxy putty stick that might work for your repair as it dries to an off white color. I saw it yesterday at Walmart. It is called “Waterweld” because it will stick to wet surfaces. Fiberglass is on the list of materials it works for.

JB Weld has a different Epoxy putty stick that might work for your repair as it dries to an off white color. I saw it yesterday at Walmart. It is called “Waterweld” because it will stick to wet surfaces. Fiberglass is on the list of materials it works for.
I used water weld to patch a small hole in the radiator of my 1995 Mercury Villager mini van I used to own. It held with no leaks until I replaced the radiator about 6 months later. I just remembered that I also used it on my Dodge van when I put in a new radiator last month. The new one came with 2 overflow pipes, one on the left and one on the right for different applications. It came with a thin rubber eye dropper looking cover I was supposed to clamp onto the one I did not use. I just filled in the pipe with water weld and put a piece of tubing over it that had a metal rod clamped inside it. Much more reliable than what the instructions said to do. Good stuff to have along with you just in case.