Roof coatings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoney

Reaction score
What's a good roof coating material for the metal roof of a 1998 Ford E-150? something that fully cures or dries and is reliable for stopping leaks. I tried roofing tar once, and it was a disaster, seals well, but has not dried/cured after weeks. I see all these rubber and silicone roof coats. Do those fully cure? I still want to be able to get on the roof without getting tar all over my hands/feet.

What’s leaking? Do you have a bunch of rust? Normally metal roofs don’t leak unless there is a problem. The problem could be vehicle roofs ain’t made to walk on. Usually you fix the problem first then put a coating to protect it. Vehicles, especially if your gonna walk on them flex then the coating cracks exposing the metal to water causing rust. If you want to walk on the roof put a heavy duty roof rack on with a floor above the vehicle roof especially since you would have to remove all the tar to coat it with anything else!

yes can you be more specific? metal roof on a E-150, do you mean the factory Ford roof? that shouldn't be leaking. if anything the rain gutter maybe. highdesertranger

Fiber roof coating  from lowest. Silver paint tar and fiber. Dries to a hard silver color.  Plugs a good size holes. Used on several types roofing. Never had a problem.

It is the factory metal roof. To clarify, the leaks were around the roof vent fan i cut out and where screws were put in to mount my solar panel. There was also rust forming so I decided to just coat the whole thing. I live in Michigan so the weather is cold right now. But I put the coat about 2 months ago and its still soft/sticky in parts. I cant grab around the rain gutters without getting tar on my hands.

Shoney said:
But I put the coat about 2 months ago and its still soft/sticky in parts. I cant grab around the rain gutters without getting tar on my hands.

It would be a big job to remove what's already on there.

So you want something that will cover over that?

I’ve got no answers for you. Years ago I used roofing cement (tar) and expensive tar based material with a foil top layer in a floor board of a car. I ended up covering it with rubber mats but it still oozed around the edges when it got hot. It may be several months or years before it hardens. On roofs they usually spread fine crushed gravel so it can be walked on and we are talking tons, you won’t be able to do that on your van roof. Any thing you put over it and walk on will eventually crack it or tear. Good thing is you can probably heat the areas that are leaking and it will become liquid and flow to stop the leak or on a really hot day coat on some more to melt in. As stated before probably the reason it leaked is from flexing the roof while walking on it so don’t do that. Roofing paint or sealer might harden but then would probably crack, the only thing I can come up with is clean it off where you touch it or disposable gloves and quit walking on the roof. Maybe build a full roof rack move the solar panels to the rack, which needs to be high enough to clear your vent and plug the holes where the screws were.

Now that I look at it too, I think part of the problem is I just put too much tar on. The spots where it is thinner are quite firm, and will be more so as I head down south. Ill start by scraping off the excess areas and evening it out for now and see how that turns out. 

Also, I phrased things poorly earlier. Now that my roof side work is done, I wont be walking of crawling on it anymore. It only really smears at the rain gutters and grooves, which was were the excess tar from the initial coating oozed into.

Yep give it some time and dust and dirt it will get soft and firm with temperature. My daughter thought my floor boards were pretty after she bedazzled them with glitter, you might try that! Lol!!!