Roof Carriers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jannette

Reaction score
Roof Bag.com
Waterproof Soft Car Top Carriers
For All Cars with or Without a Roof Rack
$75

The description details make it very inviting to purchase.  I've had this in mind for months . . . have any of you used such or know of someone?  What's you're evaluation?  Thank You.

I used one that claimed to be 'waterproof'!

I can't tell you what brand it was because I sold it in the yard sale.

It WAS waterproof to a degree. BUT it was not entirely watertight. I drove through several hours in what is commonly referred to as a 'gully washer' while on the interstate in Georgia. I stopped at the Alabama line and then spent several hours in a laundromat drying everything that was in the roof top carrier. I had stuffed it full of my stock or bolts of cotton and fleece fabric.

Driving rain pushed up in past the zippers and then just got sucked in like a sponge in to the bolts.

If I was to use one again it would be for things that were already packed in water resistant totes or things that wouldn't get hurt if they did get wet.

Almost There,
That's what I was surmising, Thanks.

As a roadtripping motorcycle rider, I learned quickly, NO nylon or soft bag is water/rain proof. If you put something in one, have it ziploc-bagged first.

another issue. the soft bags that sit on the roof, if you get any kind of dirt under them they act like sandpaper on your paint. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
another issue.  the soft bags that sit on the roof,  if you get any kind of dirt under them they act like sandpaper on your paint.  highdesertranger

I hadn't thought of that!  Back to the drawing board.

Helps if air and water can flow under
carrier. Like the dirt under, water under
soaks up worse starts mold. But in
down pours water goes a lot of places
not suppose to.

I went to a Tule hard carrier bought usedd
for $100 worth 10 times the new soft
carriers in past.

I'll go back to researching this alternative, Thank You so much for sharing.