Rodents

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcal

Reaction score
Finally caught the rat we've been after for days. One one hand, he did help us out by catching and killing the pocket mousee we'd been chasing for 6 months. But the rat couldn't stay, either. They both got in somewhere through  the engine housing or dash board. Can't find where. Oh, well, when you boondock in the boonies, you get what you get. Next time we are in for servicing, we'll have to get a good look underneath.

Took Mr Rat down to the lake to be drowned, but the neighbor kids (remember the screamers?) were there and came to see what was going on. So, Mr Rat just got tossed out into the lake and swam back like an Olympic contender. Good entertainment. He is currently hiding in the rubble, no doubt plotting how to get back into the RV. Should have taken him further, but did not want the kids trailing along thru rough brush and swampy areas. The kids were told to leave him alone, and now their parents can deal with watching them instead of letting them run unsupervised by the lake. Sweet revenge.

My father used to tell me a story about a fellow BC Hydro coworker who had a cow/calf hobby farm. He would live trap pack rats and spritz a little spray paint on them for identification purposes. He joked that he would take them five miles away and by the time he drove back, they would be back in the traps. Having a huge pack rat problem myself, I don't think he was joking............

Rats can have 5 litters per year, up to 14 per litter.  The only reason rats don't cover the earth 6 feet deep is because enough of their offspring are eaten by predators or die of starvation.  But, if a person humanly kills a rat, he's looked down upon by a certain segment of our population.

When I catch a rat or mouse, I kill it in a humane manner.  

That semi-tame rat you're playing with could bite one of those kids.  Sorry, but if that happens, it's your fault.

LeeRevell said:
Suffer not a rat to live.  Remove the problem, by whatever means your personal philosophy can stand.  They are vermin.

Yeah, well, I  couldn't  kill it in front of little kids.. If you could, fine. I admire your backbone. I couldn't. I'll probably pay for it by having the thing find its way back in.

a 5 gallon bucket with an inch or so of water(or they just jump back out), and baited with peanut butter a few inches down from the rim , placed under the front of the van makes a handy trap for the little varmints.

I use dryer sheets spread around the camper.  Read somewhere they don't like the smell.

-- Spiff

I need to find some that are scented like cat.

gcal said:
Yeah, well, I  couldn't  kill it in front of little kids.. If you could, fine. I admire your backbone. I couldn't. I'll probably pay for it by having the thing find its way back in.

I could and have.  BTDT.  The kids had no problem.  But many down here are raised in the country.  That's what one does with rats. 
They looked for more rats.   ;)

Read somewhere that Irish spring soap is a deterrent for mice. Don't know about rats. They may use it to clean up for all I know. :)

Evening!

Brian and I stuffed EVERY vent and hole we could find with compacted rags. In three years, living in the boonies (with LOTS of mice, rats, bats, bears, and... you name it), we haven't so much as seen a spider in our rig.

OTOH, our HOUSE had both mice and bats, and spiders too, now that I think of it. Brian took the critters outside and crushed them quickly. We have an unyielding philosophy about critters. If they stay out of our living space, they get to live, but if they venture inside - it's game over!

Cheers,

Brian and Jesse.

It's pouring. Thunder rolling through the valley. Wind blowing like stink. I love storms.

Bizarrely, I am wondering how Mr Rat is doing.

I have a funny personal story about a fat guy in his undies at night, a home invading possum and a Katana sword..... but it is a bit..... gory. :)
I sometimes use the Decon Mouse Proof II poison bait in the house, but I have no pets or children.

Everything we heard and read warned us off poisons. If the thing dies in the rv, you will get a hell of a smell for weeks unless you tear the whole thing apart to find it. If it gets out and dies, you will kill some predator that scavenges it, which would have killed hundreds more of the vermin if it had lived.

gcal said:
Everything we heard and read warned us off poisons. If the thing dies in the rv, you will get a hell of a smell for weeks unless you tear the whole thing apart to find it. If it gets out and dies, you will kill some predator that scavenges it, which would have killed hundreds more of the vermin if it had lived.

You do have a point.

spiff I don't know about the vermin, but I know I can't stand smell of those fu fu dryer sheets. guess they would keep me away and some say I am vermin. highdesertranger

Another mouse. Damn it. But this time I see where they are getting in, an opening that let's them get between the double floor, then up into the inside. I may go look for the rat and bring him back. At least he took care of the mice.

Most folks change their mind about letting the little vermin go free after one runs across your chest moments before your about to dose off for the evening.
If they found their way in once and you toss them out alive they will come back. Your dwelling is their food storage warehouse. I've been told that the scent trail left by these critters allows for others to follow. So finding and plugging the hole(s) is paramount.
A decent trap will make short work and do remember they come in male/female pairs. Set two traps, you'll catch two.

Just my 2¢ and experience up here in the NE.