road trip north for better temperature

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysawfan

Reaction score
So I've decided to travel a few hours up north to Georgia from Daytona. For a few Days to feel cooler. I will stay at the Flying J's truck stop and Branch out from there. I am still afraid of staying at Walmart overnight. I'm in a minivan. i stay in constant contact with friends and have AAA. Does anybody else do this? I mean move up and down the East Coast for better weather?

The southeast coastal area is my destination every winter, so I move along the Gulf toward that, rather than to/from, but you will find cooler temps in Georgia and South Carolina, especially along the coast if you can find a place to stay.

I have seldom stayed in a truck stop but find WalMarts convenient and very safe for the occasional overnight.

In prime real estate areas, the WalMarts will not allow overnight parking, but most do in the greater scheme of things.

I’ve never felt afraid, never been accosted, nor even been asked for anything, and have been traveling alone nearly 5 years now.

WanderingRose said:
I have seldom stayed in a truck stop but find WalMarts convenient and very safe for the occasional overnight.
I’ve never felt afraid, never been accosted, nor even been asked for anything, and have been traveling alone nearly 5 years now.

Tanks, WanderingRose! this is reassuring to me.

I have stayed in my RAV4 at both truck stops and Walmarts and have never had any issues. The truck stops are noisier and you will be awakened at dawn or before by the big rigs' motors. Walmart has better food offerings, unless the truck stop is connected or next to a restaurant. You can pay for a shower at truck stops ($10 to $12). Walmart's handicap stall in the lady's room can profer a sponge bath in the sink....not permitted, so be stealthy and if you shampoo, have a hat handy to disguise the wet hair. Either route, you'll be just fine. Keep us posted on temps in GA, please.

I have heard that Cabela's welcomes RV travelers, and has parking lot security through the night. They also allow slideouts.

My friend told me that they welcome RV travelers.. 
But, there exists a little skepticism about allowing slide outs. I mean I personally think so. 
However, the security & all is fine!!

We stayed overnight at a Cabela's in Ackworth Georgia 3 weeks ago, with our slideout extended. We were next to another 5th wheel who also had their slideout out. Whether it was allowed, or not, no one interrupted us.

We were around back by the dumpsters, but still safe, and secure....we left at 6:30 am.

I'm stuck in the city for medical appointments. Cabela's last night, Wal-Mart the previous night and tonight hospital employees parking lot. I change nightly as I don't want to wear out my welcome and burn any bridges for future use. Never any problems now or in the last 20+ years. Got rousted once in a hotel parking lot in Berkeley in the 1990s.

Enjoy yourself,
Ted

Latest posts