Ripped Off at Jones Valley Campground on Shasta Bathtub north of Redding

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I recall, the host of the 4 CGs up in the NF near Sisters OR said he was getting about $1700/month. That's actually not bad for someone with their own RV and who may be retired anyways. And soiled toilet paper strewn about is actually a non-trivial problem anymore. I see it everywheres I go. The usual lazy fools behaving like the usual lazy fools. The world is full of them.

Also, I doubt that professional rangers get around as often as you think. They have too much territory to cover. Don't count on them to be there to save your bacon when the bear comes.

I've worked for both contractors and the Forest Service. As a contractor, I took care of 1-3 campgrounds and did rounds 1-3 times a day.

As a Forest Service employee, I was mainly responsible for day use areas but also did a couple of campgrounds. I did an average of 50 miles a day driving. The campgrounds got taken care of once a week, but were frequently trashed. (Free campgrounds in less popular areas.) Day use varied from twice a day to once a week, depending on how busy.

My understanding is that "tweaker" comes from meth addicts going on 2 week binges.

We were driving down in our car from WA to San Francisco, and on the way we were going to camp at the Humbolt Redwoods, but because of delays on the coast highway, we decided to take a motel for the night in Eureka. Woke up to find that our tent and sleeping pads had been stolen off the roof of the car. They didn't get the bicycle because it was locked on. I figure somebody needed a home and we could afford to replace the tent, which was old anyhow. And the sleeping pads had been free to us in the first place.

Replacing a tent is cheaper than a revolution anyway.

That sux!
If you’re still in the area check out Trout Creek Campground on the east side of Mt. Shasta, just past McCloud.
I love it there and it’s free! You can park right along the creek. There’s bathrooms too. I’m always freaked out that someone is going to break into my little RV. I have it alarmed up, cameras everywhere and locked tight... but it still could happen anytime or anywhere. Sorry to hear it happened to you.
Well here’s the free spot I know of in your area.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/stnf/recarea/?recid=6591

For whatever it's worth: I've installed a very loud but inexpensive door alarm on my TT. They can be purchased from Harbor Freight for just a few dollars.
Also a motion detector very bright LED at the door.

Had my truck broken into and attempts to steal my brand new gennie parked in my apt parking lot. They did more damage to my rig that what the cost of the gennie was. It can happen anywhere. I try not to sweat the small stuff, learn and adapt from the lesson and let go of the anger/disappointment asap but, have to admit, I saw 'red' for a bit.

However, I knew the area was of a lower socio-economic demographic, and greater Phoenix isn't known for low crime rate, and had the generator locked down well. Had it covered but I think it 'looked' easy and so, in the dark, they kept cutting things, camper tie down, copper gas, bungie cords in trying to release the gennie. I think they gave up and broke my drive side glass taking a $50 NIB tool I had on front seat, had side windows 75% covered.

So, lesson learned. Camper backed up where door overhangs steep drop off, nothing stored on truck and empty cab for a few more weeks till I'm doing trial runs and then, finally, full time.

I think I would depend more on my intuition and self awareness as opposed to recommendations from strangers.

One of the reasons a rig capable going to more off road sites has been a priority of mine from the get go is I intend to be "alone" yet with loose connections to tribe. My priorities may be different, ymmv.

I’m sorry that happened to you.

Honestly I think we’re past the times of our childhoods when you could expect NOT to be robbed. Unfortunately with so many tweakers living on the road it’s just expected if you leave anything it WILL be taken.

One WRTR friend had her Christmas tree stolen from her campsite when she ran to the market!

When I was a kid my dad mined gold on the north fork of the American River. In the Autumn he would simply put his dredge, generator and other mining equipment under a tarp and it would be right where he left it next season. I’d never do that today.

QinReno said:
Also, I doubt that professional rangers get around as often as you think. They have too much territory to cover. Don't count on them to be there to save your bacon when the bear comes.

Ex Co-worker used to live in Big Bear, CA.  They had a bear come into the elementary school grounds.  Ranger's response was, "Bears were here first.  Live with it."  They finally got the bear packed off to somewhere else, but yeah, mountain lions, bears in the school grounds, fffft, have another kid.