Right Sizing a Camping Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry

Reaction score
I am 68 years old and am not interested in a camper that requires a lot of physical use.  (Pop up for example)  I have a truck capable of towing 7000 lbs.  But, I am searching for travel trailers at 3000 lbs or under.  I will be traveling alone most of the time, but occasionally will want to accommodate my grandsons..  I would appreciate recommendations from your personal experience.
Thanks, Jerry

Jerry

It depends on what you want in the trailer. 3000 pounds or less is pretty small and usually doesn't have a regular shower. A few things to consider is how much storage for clothing, paper work, shoes, towels, sheets, all the stuff a full timer needs. The size of the fresh water and waste tanks will dictate how long you can stay out, even the fridge can be pint sized. Still you see people using them in Bobs videos.

only a few travel trailers at 3,000lbs. and they are tiny. not many amenities and tanks are going to be small. highdesertranger

My first reaction is that you need a trailer made out of unobtanium to get a reasonable sized unit that light. If you want a good off the shelf model you might want to look at the Livin' Lite cl14DB. At 3,100lbs, it's 100 lbs over, but is a quality product.

In 2011 Trailmanor built a foam laminated travel trailer called the Elkmont that weighed in in the 2,500 - 3,000 lb. range depending on options http://www.customersfirstrv.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=203935 They were well made but expensive. Chalet (also a quality brand) also made the Takena travel trailer. Here's a nice sized one (a 2265) with a small yet 37" deep slide that only weighs in at 3,175 lbs - close to your goal. http://www.alstrailers.com/product/used-2010-chalet-takena-2265-604546-29 and another example: https://rvs.smartcarguide.com/listing/51659106/ And here's a smaller one (an 1860) without a slide that weighs in at 2,400 lbs.

Other than that, you might want to custom build a foamie trailer to your specs. Something like this: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67316&sid=018432cbe118fc08f50418ab6359eabf

Chip

My Shasta Oasis 18 BH is factory rated at 3163 lb, and is all the room I need to live fulltime in
If I had kids I'd need better pads for the bunks, as the foam the originals are made of isn't great
I also replaced the factory mattress with my old coil spring mattress, whe the foam one started developing a permanent depression
Or' you can look into 'eggs' like the Casita, Scamp (they make a 19 footer fifth wheel that I believe is still below 3000 lb, or not much over) and others

Try taking a look at r-pod, by forest river, model 179. Has a slide, under your weight, has shower, and large tanks for that size of trailer :shy:​

I believe 22-25 Vintage Airstreams Flying Cloud, Safari etc will fit that weight class as well as have full bathroom etc.
LilNomad
Knead2Travel.com

Hi There..
I am in the process of buying the travel trailer "Winnie Drop" from Winnebago. It weighs under 3000 lbs. They are tear shaped and retro looking with full baths ,kitchen and queen bed. They run between 15,500-20,000 . I plan to live and travel in mine most of the year for a while.

I have a 2004 27' travel trailer i've been living out of the last four months. It's on my property and i've been using it while I remodel the house. House was totally gutted to the studs inside and out, stripped out absolutely everything so it wasn't livable. I think it weighs around 5k lbs but not 100% sure. If I was full timing I could go a little smaller, but it's really a good size in my opinion. It has two bunks in the rear which I love having for storage. I have tons of outdoor gear and not sure how I'd store it all if it wasn't for the extra space the bunks provide. Hate the bathroom, its basically useless and I could do with out it. It also has a walk around queen bed which I don't need. So I could shave off 6 or 7 feet from the length if I downsized the bed and got rid of the bathroom. I don't even think i'd want one if I full timed. I'd use a composting toilet or 5 gal bucket and take showers elsewhere or do a quick camp shower. I could also eliminate the 3 way fridge and go with a 12v that slides under the bed, ditch the furnace, rooftop Ac, and water heater to save more space and weight.

I can second the storage value of the bunks. We hated ours at first thinking they were wasted space. Instead they are are great for storing the things I need without cluttering up the living space. Stacking bins keep stuff organized and I can keep something larger like a airplane in one of them if I want. Having them let me lose the storage under the dinette when I pulled it out. That really opened it up and lets me use a comfortable chair.

Jerry said:
I am 68 years old and am not interested in a camper that requires a lot of physical use.  (Pop up for example)  I have a truck capable of towing 7000 lbs.  But, I am searching for travel trailers at 3000 lbs or under.  I will be traveling alone most of the time, but occasionally will want to accommodate my grandsons..  I would appreciate recommendations from your personal experience.
Thanks, Jerry
While this is a Pop Up  IMO it's so much better than the standard ones, I've had 2 of those.

I recently traded a big Viking pop up that could sleep 7 in on a used Aliner.  I had not been able to set up the Viking by myself in 4ys.  It's truly a wonder that I didn't seriously add to my injuries just trying to crank up the roof and pull out the smallest bed slide.

I have nerve damage in my back and degenerative arthritis in my  center spine and right ribs, right collar bone is dislocated and fused, also 2 separate injuries to both of my shoulders and neck. 

This said I can set up the Aliner by myself in less than 10 minutes.  Mine is a 2004 LX with everything except a bathroom and there is a place for that to be added if I want to.

I consider this camper a EZ up after dealing with the Viking.  The Expedition model is the largest and they say weighs apx. 2,000lbs. If needed Aliner now has gas strut assist to raise the roof.  I'm short, at 5ft 5in and stand on the 3rd step of a 6ft ladder to raise the roof.  Aliner has models with dormers now which add to interior space. 

I'm happy with mine and look forward to some short trips into FL soon. My tow vehicle is a 1991 4x4 Ranger.  I've had it 13ys and this is my 4th trailer that I've towed with it.

Good Luck with your search            Jewellann

PopUpPortal.com has a Aliner section....Aliner Owners Club has a classified section..Aliner.com will get to the original developer of the Aliner I enjoyed the "History"  of how they were developed.

Jayco Hummingbird, 18' full bath, decent size tanks and 2550 dry weight... keystone has several models in that weight range as well...

Preach said:
Try taking a look at r-pod, by forest river, model 179. Has a slide, under your weight, has shower, and large tanks for that size of trailer :shy:​

This is the direction I am going. Likely. RPOD makes sense. Towed by a large car or SUV or truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look carefully at carrying capacity as some of the suggestions made can have only 650 lb. A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. and think of the addition of gear and food.

I didn't get whether this was just for brief trips or full-timing as that would make a big difference in the choices. Another issue with smaller trailers is the inside height. The molded fiberglass might be a choice like the Scamp 16' with the bunk beds, even Casitas sometimes have the bunk option. Whether looking for used or buying new also comes into play as does budget.

More specifics would definitely help.

Jerry said:
Thanks, Jerry

Your question is much like asking the public, 'whats the best vehicle for towing a trailer?'   It seems innocuous enough, but each of us have different wants and needs for our particular set of circumstances, and those circumstances change. Some folks will tell you that you NEED a medium-duty Kodiak or F550 dually to tow and nothing else will do.  Others will tell you that you can tow with a Volkswagen Rabbit pickup and do fine.   Only you can really decide what you want; what's perfect for me may be entirely unsuitable for you for a variety of reasons.  Trailers are just the same, only more so.  There are a million choices, and everyone has his or her favorites based on what they think THEY want.  That doesn't mean what suits them will work for you at all. 

I've had a parade of trailers from 13' Scamps and U-hauls to a 34' Airstream tri-axle over the years and each suited my circumstances at the time, but my circumstances changed and so did my needs for a trailer or motorhome.   My first question is why are you limiting yourself to 3,000 lbs when you have a capable truck and 6,000 lbs loaded isn't unreasonable?  How much 'comfort' are you looking for?  What kind of amenities do you want?  For example, do you need a 10 cu ft. refrigerator, or can you make do with a 4 cu ft?  Do you want a rear island queen, or is a convertible couch or dinette sufficient?  I've found a 25' trailer to be the ideal compromise between longer-term living space and tow-ability.  Other folks can comfortably live for years in a Scamp 13 with an ice box. And certainly budget restraints have their place. No sense looking at a $70,000 Airstream if you can't afford a $1500 '70s canned ham.

So what are your wants/needs?  That'll help you figure out what you're really looking for.

Latest posts