Rifle Colorado to Arizona

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oopslala

Reaction score
Well, it got down to 19 last night and that's me cue to make my move to Arizona after 5 months in Colorado.

This is my first year doing so, and I'm wondering what the best way of travel is to avoid the most passes as possible.  My truck struggles a little on the big ones so I would rather drive a hundred miles to avoid than go over.

Best and easiest route on the rig would be most appreciated!! Thanks

It looks like 70 to 191 would be less mountainous.

Try Lucas fuel injector cleaner. It made a difference on my trucks going uphill is where I noticed it most.

Where in AZ do you want to end up?

I-70 west is mostly flat and downhill from Rifle until just west of Green River UT, then there's a long grade up the San Raefel Swell (which is something everyone should see someday, but it's a better view when heading east. So take US191 south through UT to Bluff. There are some ups and downs along the way but nothing hard. From Bluff you can either go southwest on 160, through the Navajo Nation to US89 just east of Grand Canyon and on to Flagstaff (though there will be an uphill climb as you approach Flagstaff). Or you can continue south on US191 through Navajo Nation, past Chinle/Canyon de Chelly and on to I-40. If you want to go to, say, Lake Havasu City, Parker or Quartzsite, you can take I-40 west through Kingman and then south on AZ95. If you want to go to Sedona/Cottonwood, take I-17 south from Flagstaff. However, after that nice downhill run, there's a steep climb south of Camp Verde. So the route through Kingman will be flatter. If you want to end up closer to Phoenix, you could take US93 southeast from Kingman.

Okay, I gotta say it
Rifle is an awesome name for a town

Rifle is a neat town, has my favorite Rest Area in the US too....complete with a nice fishing lake. Used to stop in there regularly and visit with a 90+ year old WAVE, who was at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked; she worked the Welcome Center.

I'm actually stopped in parachute Colorado right now, I personally like 'No Name' Colorado as well.

Thanks a lot for the advice!! Without doubt helps me a ton, I'll check out an auto store for the cleaner asap tomorrow

Mr. Noodly gave you great advice! But let me add once you drop out of Colorado, Utah should be pleasant temps. If you've never been that way before, and you have the time, I'd suggest you explore Utah as you go. October and November are the best times to be there and to say it is spectacularly gorgeous is to damn with faint praise. You can't put into words how magnificent it is.

If you're interested, I'd love to suggest an itinerary?

I'd absolutely love a suggested itenerary!! I've got no set schedule whatsoever at this point, I'm just going as I feel like going.

I wouldn't mind a few places to camp either, I'm currently in a rest area parking

Oopslala said:
I'd absolutely love a suggested itenerary!! I've got no set schedule whatsoever at this point, I'm just going as I feel like going.

I wouldn't mind a few places to camp either, I'm currently in a rest area parking

Utah cannot be described with words. Very cool that you have the time to check it out now.

I would love to hear how the solar system performed for you.  Might be best to start a new thread, your original solar thread is waay long.

Oopslala said:

I'll be watching and adapting for this side of the Rockies. I will have 10 days to get to the RTR and am trying to fight the urge to go straight there in just a few. Maybe IF the weather holds I can cut across and see the Grand Canyon but that's a big if at that time of the year. I just have no interest in towing in a snow storm.

If anyone does not mind winding mountain roads, with spectacular views, AZ 60 / 77 is not to be missed.  Head South at Holbrook.

Attachments

• canyon AZ 1.jpg
    canyon AZ 1.jpg
    944.9 KB · Views: 13
Once I find a spot to stop today somewhere near Moab I'll write up how the solar is going this far. As far as winding mountain roads, I'd be that guy going 20mph up it and in 2nd/1st gear going down haha. I'm hoping to have a diesel 3/4 ton by next year then I'll be able to go everywhere

That road is designed well.  I took my time and enjoyed myself.

Oopslala said:
This is my first year doing so, and I'm wondering what the best way of travel is to avoid the most passes as possible.  My truck struggles a little on the big ones so I would rather drive a hundred miles to avoid than go over.

Best and easiest route on the rig would be most appreciated!! Thanks

If mountain roads are an issue for you, you might want to invest in this:

http://www.mountaindirectory.com/

Mind the winding roads no, I am looking forward to towing on something besides them though. We are in traffic until we get out of the metro and that's when the climbing starts. We did have a trip that we made the run up I 25 for a few hours. Boy that was nice and relaxing. The truck is so smooth and quiet at those speeds that I tend to forget I am towing and have to make sure I don't keep up with traffic. It's amazing how much gas the truck can quietly suck up at 80 MPH.

I'm so tempted to try to bring the Travel trailer, but will more likely bring the black trailer or just the truck itself

Were it a easy route I'd say get that hitch and make a run to see how it does. The thing is you are right at or slightly over your limits. That not only affects your towing experience, it is to the point that things wear faster, even breaking. I smoked the rear axle bearings over loading a van. First the seals went and that cost me the rear brakes towing a boat through a canyon. I made it to the edge of town before the bearing started screaming. That's what I get for saying oh sure, we have lots of room. Then I watched them load both the truck and boat to the gills.

Well I just drove into Moab for groceries for the first time. I've got a new favorite state without doubt, the beauty of this country is unreal

Latest posts