Review: Nulaxy FM Transmiter...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galladanb

Reaction score
Review : 

image.jpeg

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]Nulaxy Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter[/font][font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]by Nulaxy [/font]
[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]Link:[/font][font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif] http://a.co/gxJICZT[/font][/SIZE]

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]So, I saw this link to this thingie, and I was curious. A local sound shop said these things have improved so much over what they were 10 years ago! [/font]

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]My radio in the van project in my cig give below has a normal am fm radio with no aux in, or cd.[/font]
[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]VERY BORING, right? I looked into a head swap for it, but did not want to go that way for a couple of reasons...[/font]

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]My posting buddy in here, Frater Sucess, listed this device in one of our conversations here.[/font]

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]Anyway, enuff background...[/font]

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]I bought one and gave it a 100 mile road test with good results.[/font]

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]The fm transmission is weak, but the radio pulls it in without a lot of static, and actually sounds pretty good for less than 20 bucks! I tried it on FM 87.9, and it was very nice.[/font]

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]I used the micro sd card with about eight gb's of music on there. There is a couple of issues here, because I used folders by artist. Oops! There is no way to skip to the next folder, only the next song. So if you want artist Ccr, you have to skip thru all 139 Beatles songs. There is no folder skip, no random play, ZERO FRILLS...[/font]

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]I'm thinking multiple sd cards sorted by genre, then one folder with all the jams in there, so that it would play songs alphabetical by song title. You would need different cards for different genres![/font]

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]Our phones do not have much music on them, so we only tested the Bluetooth connection very little.[/font]
[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]But that sounded really good. We don't want to use the phones for music, because of the precious little space there.[/font]
[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]And we don't want to interrupt the music for phone calls. Silly right? But that's how we roll...[/font]

[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]The other option we want to use is our legacy 60 gb photo iPod with its headphone 3.5mm connection.[/font]
[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]This option worked great until the battery ran out and the cable we brought for it was acting really goofy![/font]
[font='Amazon Ember', Arial, sans-serif]We did get good results from this connection and I still think it will be great when we get a fresh battery in a few days for the iPod.[/font]

The LEDs are bright enough for daylight use, but not way too bright for night time use.
The buttons are smallish, but have a positive feel and easy to use.
The usb port on the dc plug worked well, but I don't know if was enough juice for the iPod we tried.
It does come in various color choices, we choose the matte black, which looks great!
OVERALL: I'll give it a two thumbs up!

I think it a very good alternative to a hundred dollar head swap, with the chime interface that is required.

If we come up with other issues, we will repost them here!

Thanks for reading, and be kind with your comments. We like it, consider YMMV!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 5
I have a cheaper version, Scosche. i don't remember where I bought it. I use it in the van with my phone and Pandora. The hardest part is finding a blank tuning on the radio. i use it in the S&B on the computer to broad cast to all the FMs in the house, and the van in the yard.

Wish I'd have been around earlier.

Audio quality of FM radio is an illusion. One way sound is measured is in frequency range. Highs and lows. Equipment makers tout freq. ranges of 50 to 100hz on the low end, to 18,000 to 20,000hz on the high side. But FM doesn't go very high. It's chopped at around 12,000hz. It is this way because of bandwidth. The radio frequency is only so big. And to make matters worse, the radio stations try to push more of the highs in to the transmitter, causing distortion. Obviously, these FM devices don't over equalize high frequencies like the stations, but your radio doesn't receive freqs above 12,000hz Unless you have HDRadio.

https://hdradio.com/

In short, HDRadio is the same thing that TV has gone to. Except that the analog side won't be turned off like TV was, at least not for a long time. I've had one for a few years. And having one really points out the difference. In tuning a station, it takes 3 to 5 seconds to acquire the digital signal, but when it does, you hear the difference. A digital source like this is no different than CDs, MP3s, or Sirius/XM, but without the monthly service charges. And it does AM too.

I mention all this because radios are cheap these days. I don't know how cheap you can get HD for, but a name brand head unit with Bluetooth can be had for less than $100.00. I paid around $300.00 for my Pioneer, that plays DVDs, has HD. My first Pioneer like this was twice that, and didn't have HD built in. HD was a $90.00 extra box. But my point is that they're coming down in price.