Returning member...so much for settling down!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterwanderer

Reaction score
Hi everyone from the dry and smoky (but still beautiful)town of Buena Vista, Colorado. I quit this forum eighteen months ago, deciding to leave the nomadic life for a more conventional lifestyle in Arizona. After three months, I was getting nowhere, so I headed up to Buena Vista to work like a maniac and sleep in my truck for six grueling months. My boss was so impressed that he built me an apartment and invited me to return for the 2020 season. For the first time in my life, I had a place of my own, with all the amenities of civilization. 

But the sticks-n-bricks life in small town USA has been disappointing. Here are settled people who have reputations to maintain. Conversations are nothing but small talk and plastic propriety, a sharp contrast to the colorful and genuine (if often chaotic) lives of those I spent time with as a nomad. So now I am in a place many of you have been. Counting down the days until "homeless unemployment" with eager anticipation. (Only 12 days to go!) Having never picked up the habits of wasteful materialism, the past two seasons of work have left me free to chase my dreams unencumbered by financial worries. The road is wide open, and I'm looking forward to meeting many of you along the way!

Welcome to the CRVL forums winterwanderer! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

So you say you’ve got lots of money and you’re looking to meet nomads. Sound like my kind of person. Yeah I’m just kidding I don’t want anybody’s money. Just sounded like a good opportunity for a chuckle. Best of luck to you “nomading”

In your two eloquent paragraphs, you said so much. 

I recognize 'wordsmithery'....I have done some of that me-own-self. 

Maybe you have a future in writing, blogging, composing....or something along those lines.

Good luck to you!

I would stay in the mountains, it is way too hot down here at Lake Powell!

bullfrog said:
I would stay in the mountains, it is way too hot down here at Lake Powell!

They've gone through just about every word in the thesaurus to describe the heat in Arizona. Hopefully you've got a kickass A/C. 

@tx2sturgis: thanks for the compliment! Writing helps ameliorate the social isolation we as nomads often experience. Got a travel memoir project ongoing since December...up to 249 pages at this point. 

@nature lover: LOL Money is funny. The more you disdain it, the more loyally it clings to you. But when you desire it, it runs off and plays "hard to get".

Latest posts