Rest Area's and Truck Stops

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've stayed at truck stops often. No problem. Got a directory for Pilot and Flying J. Walmarts are OK, too. Some rest areas are good,; some not so much. It is hard to say what we look for - how close to a city, how busy, how clean, how well lit, etc.

Re Texas, we did like San Antonio, home of the SAS Shoe Factory, the older woman's Mecca. Great TextMex restaurant right across the street from our campground. Got to say, tho, it was one of the worst laid out cities to be a stranger in that we have ever been. We were constantly getting lost. It was impossible for us to get around without the GPS, and even with it, things were touch and go.

Ahhh San Antonio... Just broke down in San Antonio last month. This was after 2 near wrecks.

Took the loop to avoid going straight through as I remember being kind of lost driving through it before (yes, it is laid out whacky). There I am truckin along mind my own beeswax going slower than the crowd and getting passed left and right. Bad part about that is being a heavy rig when the zippers decide to slam on their brakes right in front of you after not letting you keep your distance. There was a line of cars, and then me, I had to slam my brakes and point my nose over to the on-ramp and pray no one was coming. Was that or plow in to the line of cars. Not cool!!

Then, a few miles down the road, and I can't even make this stuff up, a kayak someone forgot to strap down properly decided to leave the back of their pickup truck in the left lane of the 3 lane highway. I was in the right hand side of the lane and had to swerve almost off the shoulder to avoid hitting the dang thing that flew across and sideways taking up near all 3 lanes.

About 20 minutes later with SA in my rear view mirror, my rig decided to take a transmission crap. Guess where they towed me... yep... back to San Antonio.

*gives San Antonio the cyber finger*

Hehehe! I will add San Antone to my list of cities to avoid. Though I did enjoy my one day liberty there in 1976 while in USAF bootcamp. The River Walk was nice, the Alamo was disappointing.

I was disappointed with the Alamo. But before getting to San Antone there was a restored mission where I spent the better part of a day and really enjoyed. I remember it as The San Antone Mission. But I must be wrong on the name. Was 1975.

You will probably find the Riverwalk disappointing now, too, Lee. We were there 25 years ago and loved it. But it has gotten a lot more commercialized. We really liked the trail, tho.

When I drove truck in the 90's I tried to avoid the rest areas (especially in New England) had one too many run ins with weirdos. I would always prefer to go to the shipper or receiver and park in their lot if I could. If not then I looked for a grocery store lot to park in. Truck stops tend to be very noisy and depending on where you are they can be a magnet for undesirable types. My favorite places were always quiet business parks and industrial areas. I always felt the safest there. Probably because a tractor trailer looks like it belongs there. I think the lessons I learned on the road are applicable to stealth RV camping.

Zil said:
I was disappointed with the Alamo. But before getting to San Antone there was a restored mission where I spent the better part of a day and really enjoyed. I remember it as The San Antone Mission. But I must be wrong on the name. Was 1975.

There are at least five historic missions which make up the San Antonio Missions National Monument.  The most beautiful ones are a bit away from the city.

There are lots of apps available... Allstays is my favorite when it comes to truck stops and guidance with regard to height and weight
http://www.allstays.com/

The next exit, if your traveling interstates, is also good to have. It's published annually and tells you everything you need to know about every exit on every interstate including but not limited to gas, overnighting, restaurant, shopping.
https://thenextexit.com/
Available on amazon prime if you have it

I've never seen a rest area that allowed overnight parking on the East Coast. Police patrols, bright lights, parking limit signs, all an effort to fight crime. I would sleep on an interstate on ramp before a rest stop.

Walmarts are more common than truck stops, so unless you are an 18 wheeler the nearest Walmart is your best bet. Park in the middle of the overnight shift employees' cars, and you won't be disturbed until the parking lot sweeper wakes you up at 3:30 am. Ignore any NO OVERNIGHT PARKING signs, unless you are in a very high crime area or drive an RV.

USExplorer said:
I've never seen a rest area that allowed overnight parking on the East Coast. Police patrols, bright lights, parking limit signs, all an effort to fight crime. I would sleep on an interstate on ramp before a rest stop.

There are rest stops where you can't rest :huh:   Our travel is mostly the South route I-10 when we go East to visit my elderly mother in Georgia and occasionally use the rest stops.  We do the rest stops going anywhere West (North or South).  We sleep in rest stops all the time in amongst the 18 wheelers and even in the little picnic areas.  I do have an RV though.  We sleep in the SUV in rest stops on the car side too when we travel in it.  The only problem I have with rest stops is the 18 wheelers coming and going.  There seems to be one more reason to not go the North/East coast route :dodgy:

USExplorer said:
 Ignore any NO OVERNIGHT PARKING signs, unless you are in a very high crime area or drive an RV.

I would not ignore the no overnight signs.  Walmart does not care if you park overnight, but some towns do have laws on the book to prevent it, so if there is a sign you might get hassled by the police.

Most government rest stops have rules about "no overnight camping".  The rules vary by state on the east coast.  Some have a time limit - in hours.  Some just say overnight.  I think that gives the cops a reason to poke around - and at best wake you up - worse - maybe you get to sleep eslewhere for the night.

I have slept in most rest stops without issue but never stayed more than a few hours.  That doesn't say i might not have an issue tomorrow.  I suggest either getting in and out (don't stay at the rest stop any longer than you have to) or find a walmart that has no restriction on overnight camping.  There is a list of them somewhere around here.

I have had no problem sleeping in rest stops along Rt I-95 from Miami to New York.

ccbreder said:
I have had no problem sleeping in rest stops along Rt I-95 from Miami to New York.

I spent 7 years as an OTR trucker living in my freightliner.

For rest areas, you can usually spend up to 2 nights in them before you draw the attention of the State Troopers and need to move on.

Truckstops will tolerate you for quite some time, because usually you are eating in their restaurant and buying their showers.  When freight was slow, I spent up to a week in quite a few truckstops.  No parking fee, free toilet facilities etc.

As long as you keep moving and don't stay in the same spot 2 nights in a row, you won't draw attention.  You can make a small circuit of places to park in just about any neighborhood.