Rest Area's and Truck Stops

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've lived the last yr at a truck stop, and a park n ride in WV. So yeah it can be done. Pilot has no problems with overnighters just park out of the way.

Consider exhaust from running vehicles next to you can harm you, i found out the hard way....

Lucky mike that's great advice.. Thanks..

DazarGaidin I've spent a lot of time at the Pilot in Nitro. Just hanging out and they seem to be cool about me hanging around but I haven't slept there..

I drove a semi for 28 years, mostly southeast, and Midwest. the area your going to, is some of the most beautiful in the country. I'm leaving tomorrow from mid Indiana, but I'm going due south then west, once I hit the gulf. I'm hoping to be in Arizona next winter also. And I'm also going to be in my 4 wheeler.
One thing, if you stay in a truckstop, avoid parking around the 18 wheelers, most lots have signs posted. the pilots, loves, flying j's and such, mostly don't care. They're looking for the 4 wheelers that are back cruising through the big truck lots. Its usually someone pedaling something or someone that is liable to park in the wrong spot and block a spot meant for trucks.( big no no)
I always avoided the truckstops in, or real close to the big cities. downtown Nashville, is one to stay out of. almost every flying "J" is good, if a Speedway is open, and there's trucks there, then you'll be ok there too. I never stayed in one all night if it closes also. look for the 24/7 places.
I never cared much for rest areas, usually cause they were full for the big trucks, I don't know much about the 4 wheeler parking, but even 3, or 4 in the morning there were usually cars there. I used to dream of goin through the smokies, and across the blue ridge in a 4 wheeler, there's so many more options than big trucks.
good luck. See ya in AZ.

a45cap,I agree with all you said. It's good to know there are retired drivers out there in their 4 wheelers.. Your probably on the road by now so stay safe. I had a dedicated run from Michigan to New Orleans every week and know what you mean about the Pilot in Nashville. It had just opened when I was running that run. It's a ways off the interstate if I remember and even back then it was not a good place to be.
I to used to wish that I could see the sights along the way, like the Grand Canyon but never had the time or a way to get there. Now we can!! I look forward to seeing you next winter..
Thanks to all of you for responding!! It means a lot!!

I'm not sure what a "LEO" is -- ??

I'm doing some research on my planned routes -- checking the "freecampsites" web pages -- state parks, national parks, -- checking prices -- then -- then I go to google maps and drive on street level if I can -- or just above street level and check out roads that are nearby the pay camp areas-- hoping to find a free camp site. I'm lining up several in each area that I expect to stop after a day's drive. I'll have several options, depending on how tired I am -- or if the area is especially pretty.

The idea is to enjoy the trip. Trying to sleep in a busy rest area -- with cars coming and going all night -- simply does not fit my idea of enjoyment. It is taking a little extra time to plan a trip, but it will take a lot of the stress out of traveling. I can also stop after just a few hours driving -- and enjoy the rest of the day sitting in the shade, having some wine -- taking a nice walk on a trail.

thats pretty much what I do.....google earth is a wonderful tool !!!!! I have found more boondocking sites and week long stays that way.........you burn up alot of gas hunting for spots.

Rest areas are good for quick stop overs while in route...but I dont drive more than 4 to 5 hours in a day..and no more than 10 in a week!......there is to much to really see out here and plenty of work to be found within 200 miles......not to mention there is a walmart every 50 if needed.

leo = law enforcement officer. as far as rest stops go I have seen it all, the good, the bad, and the ugly. use your best judgment, don't overstay your welcome and you'll be fine. highdesertranger

I always look for nearby National Forests to disperse camp in. I only camp on pavement if I'm in a big hurry or it's a long ways to the closest public land.

I've made a couple trips to and from Arizona to see my mom in Florida and the only place I slept on pavement was in the place-to-be-avoided-like-the-plague: Texas. Otherwise there is lots of public land.
Bob

"the only place I slept on pavement was in the place-to-be-avoided-like-the-plague: Texas."

Ok, Bob, I'll bite. LOL. What is wrong with Texas?

Lotsa rest area's only one truck stop. Can't sleep at a truck stop to much noise for me. Walmart is easy too.

Bela said:
"the only place I slept on pavement was in the place-to-be-avoided-like-the-plague: Texas."

Ok, Bob, I'll bite. LOL. What is wrong with Texas?

Happiness is seeing Texas in your rear-view mirror !!!!!!!!

Well, you can all say what you want. I dream of going to TX. It's one of the few states I've never been to, or flown through secondary to traveling with a dog by myself and the heat. I've lived in desserts where it was 127 degrees/day, but my dog was in a/c. My dog is 14 years old and I have BIG plans for me and the Houston International Market!
Dragon fruit and figs from around the world...here I come!

Texas is like NYC to me.

an interesting place to visit, lots to see...but no way would I ever live there

I lived in the Corpus Cristi area of Texas, Flower Bluff. Real nice time. I visited San Antonio area and plan to return.

Fifth generation Texan here. Guess I just don't know any better!:D:p

I hafta say, that we've got Corpus Cristi on our list of places to check out during our winter snowbird treks.

Can't sleep at a truck stop to much noise for me.

I must be the weird one (big surprise :p). I can't sleep if a place is too quiet or still and need a fan when boondocking, but can drop off in a heartbeat at a truck or rest stop.

I recently did a nonstop trip from SoCali to Louisiana in a van, tag team driving, and we stopped at many Love's truck stops. I saw folks sleeping in 4 wheelers almost every time we stopped at night, and sometimes during the day. It didn't seem to be an issue, as long as they weren't parked in the area for 18 wheelers or right near the entrance. We were in a conversion van, and I wouldn't have hesitated to crash at most of them if I had been alone. That said, a car is a bit more obvious than a van.

On rest stops, it is really a case by case basis. I've been to many in the Southwest; some I would overnight in (and did, many times), and others I wouldn't even use the bathrooms. I can definitely say that if you are on I-8 right near the Cali/ Az border and need to stop... find a bush, it will be a better experience! :rolleyes:

I've been carcamping now for the last 2 months. I haven't had any problems in the rest areas or the truckstops. The only problem I had. was at the Jelico, Tenn. rest area on I-75. It has an attendant 24 hours. About 4 in the morning I woke up and had to go, really really bad. couldn't just step out of my car and water the grass, too many people around, so I made a beeline for the building. OMG! closed for cleaning. I'm an old man I can't hold it too long, so I stepped around back of the vending machine building. BUSTED! got yelled at big time, and possibly could have had the cops called. so lost my welcome there pretty quick. Note to self. keep a water bottle handy if you can't step out in the woods.

Lived in Richardson, TX for 6 years.........loved it! I lived in my car for about 3 months. I have slept in truck stops and Walmart parking lots............no problems.

When we took off from Boston for 9 weeks in our Dodge Maxi Window Van , to visit my Sister in Law in Temecula Ca. , and meet our daughter who flew out for a week , We drove almost non stop and just cat-napped in rest areas or truck stops and followed up with there breakfast buffet .
During the rest of the trip , mostly in Az. , we camped on the club mining claim , BLM or National Forest Land , also a few Walmart's , with a couple of nights in county park campgrounds for R & R .
We always felt safe and welcomed in the truck stops and walmart's , except one walmart had a bunch of local drunks racing around the parking lot honking and yelling at each other .
Bob