Responding to Closed Thread w/ LOVE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oricha1984

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently started my first thread that concluded with a question. However, as someone pointed out, it was not complete. The correct word should had been "manage" instead of "get rid".
I was sadden by what it turned into, it part was my fault for not clarifying. Regardless, I appreciate all of your opinions and suggestions.

Many of us look at life as black or white, right or wrong. It is called Dualistic Thinking. 
There is also Tribal Thinking, in which we think of our group vs the other (over simplifying here).
Both ways of thinking are a result of evolution, it was necessary for humans to develop it. However, it falls short for the future of humanity.

I ask all of us to think about our own life from the very beginning...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5140248/
Netflix also has it with English subtitles, but here it is without subs: http://fmovies.to/film/the-beginning-of-life.1loq
After you are done watching the documentary reflect on: Maslow's hierarchy of needs

I send love to all, be safe out there, maybe one day I met you all with my wife and kid.
But after I "get rid", cough, cough, MANAGE our finances  :)  
Raul (stay home dad)

P.S - Please, lets keep this one civil  ;)

I was one who responded in a negative way, I apologize for that, it was nothing constructive.

Not knowing your net income and fixed expenses makes it virtually impossible for an outsider to give advice, at least in my opinion.

You are obviously an intelligent person but got yourself in a bit of a bind. I have read (and this is just what I read, it's not a fact) that many times you can get your loans reduced or restructured. Possibly a CPA or a financial adviser can put some realistic goals.

I said in the thread I didn't have to take out any loans for my kids, but that may not be totally correct. I have been looking at some of the costs of my daughters textbooks and I am not sure we can go it without borrowing. She is on scholarship in the MD/PHD program and even with the scholarship costs are unbelievable.

I wish you well in your life's journey. Rob

I suspect many of us have no idea what the subject or topic of this thread is. Can you spell it out pretty simply in one or two sentences?
Bob

akrvbob said:
I suspect many of us have no idea what the subject or topic of this thread is. Can you spell it out pretty simply in one or two sentences?
Bob
Here it is.
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-STUDENT-LOANS?pid=227466#pid227466

This current thread is mostly aimed at those of us that participated on the previous one.

Side note - forgot to mentioned, if you decide to watch the movie from the link without English subs. Don't press play right away, let the timer go to 0 first.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Thanks, for clarifying, Raul.

I hope you'll continue to participate in our forums. it's a great place for inspiration, encouragement and networking.

Gunny, the fact that you apologized says a bunch about your character. My opinion of you is much higher than before I even knew you.
I looked up the school your daughter is going to. Looks top notch and very expensive as well. School is disturbingly expensive...but...in the long run can pay off several times over as long as you pick a good degree. I think anything medical is good.

She is on a scholarship, I could not afford to send her there as I am a single parent with her and her older sister. She has never made a 'B' in her academic career, tho she did get one in citizenship for correcting a teacher. Her stated goal is Pediatric Oncology both research and treatment hence the MD/PHD program.

There has been several scholarships among the 6 and one had half of his school paid by the city that now employs him as a Firefighter.

I have had a lot of help along the way from my ex and her husband, my older group of kids and some friends.

As I wrote later, I may have to get a small loan over the next couple of years, but as small as I can get by with and I will repay without complaining.

I apologized for going off the subject that the OP was asking about and I meant it. But I still believe a loan should be repaid unless it's like the poor folks who tried ITT and got screwed.

I wish you well, Rob

Good to see a healthy thread.

When my wife and I were younger we were very caught up in academia/degrees/titles.
It is funny how our mentality has shifted more into enjoying simpler things.
My wife likes to jokingly say: "I lost all my neurons in med school". But I think we just realised that we needed to slow down to be happy.

The guy in this video is an example of it.

Love and peace to all
Raul

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

I didn't even see the thread go south, aside from a few back n forths, must've happened quickly

Gunny, this might be against a forum rule to talk about, but the internet probably has copies of the textbooks your daughter needs.
Higher education is a racket.
Someone is making money off your daughter, even with her scholarships. A lot of people are making a lot of money off that schlep sitting next to her in class that took out loans.

Hank

907KHAM687 said:
Gunny, this might be against a forum rule to talk about, but the internet probably has copies of the textbooks your daughter needs.
Higher education is a racket.
Someone is making money off your daughter, even with her scholarships. A lot of people are making a lot of money off that schlep sitting next to her in class that took out loans.

Hank

Hank, thanks for the thought, it seems many of her required books are professor written or dated. It's a racket and has been since I was in college, the professors have just gotten better at getting the last dime out of students or parents.

Like the OP is buried for a while with no way out thanks to student loans, I see no  way a lower middle income guy like me could pay this without scholarships.

Travel Safe,  Rob