Replacing wired SURBURBAN heater thermostat with conventional house one?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Ru...ess/2014-OCT-07 - SURBURBAN heater thermostat"></iframe>
This is the vans analouge heater thermostat. I mis-wired the thermostat one time and heard and saw a pop inside it. I rather not replace this classic thermostat made in a time where things were designed to last, and if the classic SUBURBAN thermostat can be fixed let me know. Why I am posting is winter is coming up and I need to install a functioning thermostat for the vans built in propane heater. Would a basic conventional house programmable thermostat be compatible for this application? There are two black wires running to the SURBURBAN thermostat, and if both black wires make contact will turn the heater on.

Has anybody installed a wired conventional house thermostat in a van setting? Is a conventional house thermostat compatible?

A conventional home thermostat, one using a mercury switch or metal contact points will work. Some programmable ones may work. Most programmable depend on the transformer electric feed from the heater to operate. So as above, check the voltage at the wires.

When we lived in our hard side truck camper, we replaced the analog thermostat with a digital programmable thermostat made for a home. It had it's own AA batteries to power it's clock. Worked perfect. Only 2 wires to connect for the RV furnace. The programmable thermostat has like 4 or 6 connections on the rear. Just plug the wires in the correct spot, and it works perfect.