Replacing doors...where to begin?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the top of the drivers' door - where is the roof cut away inside for the high top? With just the top corner of the door out of kilter, ilooks like the side walls and upper frame may have 'collapsed' slightly inward when they put the high top on particularly since it's a window van to start with.

You might have to do some reinforcing to re-align the top of the side of the van.

I looked at my 91, and the only thing I can come up with is that the seal has shrunk/compressed over time. (20 years)  The body looks fine to me.  I also have a strip of generic rubber home window seal on the inside of the door frame.  This is because my seal had compressed over the last 25 years, and I took the cheap route before I found Rock Auto.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...v8,1076554,body,door+seal+/+weatherstrip,1430

I dont think they are welded, but they do look replaced or worked with. The hinges do look replaced though or worked on. when this was done maybe they didnt get them back in the exact place they should have. Couple that with the corner of that door being bent out abit, might be enough to cause a gap like that?

As to where it is cut, i went and looked but they have a head cushioning piece around the whole seam. Doesnt look like there is any give in that area, but i am just eye balling it.

I think for now I am going to add some rubber sponge thype thing in the gap and call it good for now. It is weird though, the door looks like it fits fine everywhere except that dum gap. That gap and the lock. The door lock is broken, its one of those old pull up/push down types. I can just pull out the lock knob atm. Not sure if its a broken rod or a broken plasic clip thingy. Will find out when it warms up in a few days.

By pushing out on my upper door, I can duplicate that gap.  

Since the pictures of the van show a slight metal warpage ~~~  Look at the first picture, and it looks like someone used a wedge to pry the door out to slip in a coat hanger to open the lock.  There seems to be a small notch at the top of the door pillar. 

Cheap solution.  Put a 2X4 at the bottom of the door, and push on the top corner... tweak it a little inward.  Old school ozark engineering.

GotSmart said:
By pushing out on my upper door, I can duplicate that gap.  

Since the pictures of the van show a slight metal warpage ~~~  Look at the first picture, and it looks like someone used a wedge to pry the door out to slip in a coat hanger to open the lock.  There seems to be a small notch at the top of the door pillar. 

Cheap solution.  Put a 2X4 at the bottom of the door, and push on the top corner... tweak it a little inward.  Old school ozark engineering.

roll down the window first

Its still in the shop, but your idea GotSmart should do the trick perfectly. Thanks!

It is not rocket science.  ;)

Back when I was a commercial plumber, I had a call from a guy that had tried to fix his own toilet.  Water was hitting the ceiling from his Fill Pro filler.  He tried to adjust it and did not shut off the water at the base of the toilet.  He just started removing screws, ~~~  :huh: then beat on it.  

Long story short, he was a rocket scientist for NASA.  When I left, he was in the process of inspecting his old filler to see how it worked.  His house was flooded, and all he cared about was how a $10 toilet filler, that worked on pressure, functioned.   :s  

How did we ever make to beyond air travel by balloon?

GotSmart's advice got you covered on both issues. Something else that can causing different closing and locking/unlock problems is lack of lubrication on the latches that hit the door striker. Along with the door lock and rods. For the ones that use a key to lock/unlock.

I will make sure to lubricate that latch good tomm when I open the door and see why the lock knob is just freely in there.

On Dodge vans, testing the door hinges is pretty easy: Open door about 1/3 the way. grab the door by the bottom and lift up. If you feel any "slack" then either the top, or bottom hinge is bad. (Most likely bottom)

Opening the drivers door\window, blocking the bottom open, and just "bending" the upper door worked great. I also opened that lil triangle window.