Replace carpet in cab area

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjsingh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to replace the carpet in the front cab area of my 2006 GMC Savana 2500 (same as a chevy express).

All the custom molded ones I found online were for '96-'02 models (like here https://www.stockinteriors.com/items.asp?ModelId=751&MainCatId=1)

I guess my best bet is to buy the carpet by the foot and cut it myself, just curious if anyone has any other good ideas first though? Don't mention cleaning the old one since it was pretty bad and I actually already threw it out

Thanks

Interesting, I've got a 06 GMC myself but mine is a cargo version with molded vinyl. I spent a few minutes looking for carpet but nobody actually has, as you point out, 2006 carpet available even though the google links says they do.

To bad you tossed the old stuff as that would have made the ideal pattern.
The next best shot for me would be to scrounge a few scrap yards that offer "pull-a-part" and ask if they have something you could look at in their yard in that year and model. Bring appropriate tools when you go. You might get lucky. Also, they may know of a dealer or auto upholstery shop would know what if any other year and model van carpet would work for you. Let us know if you find something.

I like rubber floor that are easy to clean & am doing the ambulance in diamond plate rubber floors. It has a lot of shiny diamond plate all over anyway. Here's a place I use Johnson's Surplus store in St. Joseph County, Michigan
Address: 12195 US-12, White Pigeon, MI 49099
Closed ⋅ Opens 8:30AM Tue
Phone: (269) 483-2249

There's over a dozen RV Surplus all within a half hour but Johnsons ships free I think, Their website is being redone with live inventory.

Express/Savana vans changed from the classic Chevy Small Block engines to the LS engines in 2003. They MIGHT have changed the size and shape of the doghouse, but I doubt it. (They did change the noses of the vans.) So I think the earlier carpeting and mats should fit. I'd buy one and return it if it doesn't fit.

OK thanks guys. I'll call that stockinteriors.com place tomorrow and see if they think the '96-02 mat will fit. If not I'll maybe go try my luck at some pick n pull places, that's a good idea

I changed out the cab and bedroom carpet in my 1997 Ford Class C cab. I insulated the cab metal floor with Peel-n-Seal (Butyl based like Eternabond) and used basic house shag carpet with tec screws. The Peel-n-Seal was for road noise and vibration and I also did inside the doors. At first I was worried the carpet might not conform, but working slowly I used the screws to hold down the creases. Over two years old now and it still looks great. I used a pneumatic stapler for the bedroom into the ply floors.

MrNoodly said:
Express/Savana vans changed from the classic Chevy Small Block engines to the LS engines in 2003. They MIGHT have changed the size and shape of the doghouse, but I doubt it. (They did change the noses of the vans.) So I think the earlier carpeting and mats should fit. I'd buy one and return it if it doesn't fit.

Matlock said:
Interesting, I've got a 06 GMC myself but mine is a cargo version with molded vinyl. I spent a few minutes looking for carpet but nobody actually has, as you point out, 2006  carpet available even though the google links says they do. 

To bad you tossed the old stuff as that would have made the ideal pattern.
The next best shot for me would be to scrounge a few scrap yards that offer "pull-a-part" and ask if they have something you could look at in their yard in that year and model. Bring appropriate tools when you go. You might get lucky. Also, they may know of a dealer or auto upholstery shop would know what if any other year and model van carpet would work for you. Let us know if you find something.

Unfortunately I just found out that the front area did change enough that the old heat-molded carpets won't fit anymore.

Surprisingly hard to find an existing heat-molded carpet. I think my next best option is to find some kind of rubber flooring and cut it up to fit

I have fitted rolled carpet before into a van/pickup. You just have to go slow, and cut reliefs into the sharp bends. Have you considered WEATHERTECH floor liners, or rubberized flooring ?

There are also fitted van floormats that surround the engine cover available.