REMOVING PASSENGER SIDE SEAT with AIR BAG ELECTRONICS Ford Transit Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLOUD WOMAN

Reaction score
Hi Friends, 
Can anyone help me understand the steps to removing my passenger side seat out of my Ford 250 Transit Van that has the Air Bag wiring attached under the seat? I've removed the bolts from the seat, but am unsure what the next step should be. My Ford dealer said I should disconnect the battery first which concerns me that I might mess up something. He also said after that, once the air bag system under the seat is disconnected a light would forever show on the dash and THAT THE ENTIRE AIR BAG SYSTEM WOULD NOT WORK, even on the driver side. 

For some reason I find this hard to believer. I know lots of people who have replaced the stable seat with a captain's chair or put in a swivel. 

Any specific help on this issue would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.  THANK YOU!

CLOUD WOMAN :huh:

I’ve seen online a message board for Ford Transit owners...maybe google search for a good forum :)

CLOUD WOMAN said:
Hi Friends, 
Can anyone help me understand the steps to removing my passenger side seat out of my Ford 250 Transit Van that has the Air Bag wiring attached under the seat? I've removed the bolts from the seat, but am unsure what the next step should be. My Ford dealer said I should disconnect the battery first which concerns me that I might mess up something. He also said after that, once the air bag system under the seat is disconnected a light would forever show on the dash and THAT THE ENTIRE AIR BAG SYSTEM WOULD NOT WORK, even on the driver side. 

For some reason I find this hard to believer. I know lots of people who have replaced the stable seat with a captain's chair or put in a swivel. 

Any specific help on this issue would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.  THANK YOU!

I removed mine and disconnected it. My light is on and I have things there so my seatbelt light is also flashing. I was told that airbag is the only one that doesn’t work. I am in a Kia though so it may be different. When I put my seat back in all the lights reset themselves and went off. Now seat back out lights back on. The next step after removing the bolts would be to disconnect the wires under the seat and then you should be good to take it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLOUD WOMAN said:
I know lots of people who have replaced the stable seat with a captain's chair or put in a swivel. 

Do you?  Perhaps you should ask one of them for help.
I've seen videos and blogs with people removing the seat and installing a swivel adapter.   Unplug wiring harness and plug it back in.
I've not yet seen anyone replace the original seat with a captain's chair. I'd like to check that out if you have a link to a video/blog.

If the dealer tells you to unhook the battery then that's the first thing I would do.  Have you ever been around an exploding airbag?  It ain't fun.  Understand the dealership has to cover their liability in cases like this.  I hate airbags myself but they are to be respected.  I'm sure there is a forum somewhere that will be able to help you; just be careful.

CLOUD WOMEN, I have done this, quite easy. After removing the 4 torx bolts from the front and back tilt the seat backwards to gain access to underneath the seat. You will see the connector attached to the underside by (if I remember) a 7mm bolt, after removing the bolt, the connector is now easily disconnected by pushing on the tabs. I have done it both with the battery negative dis connected and left connected without a problem.

What are you trying to achieve, if I may ask ? my reason was to add the swivel base to the standard seat.

MM

I put a swivel base in my E350 about a week ago. Not the same van as you, but it sounds like they are very similar and I've read a lot of similar postings to what you mentioned above.

In my case, I disconnected the wire, removed two bolts and two nuts, then removed the seat and base as one unit from the van. Then I unbolted the base from the seat and installed the new base, then reinstalled it in the van and reconnected the wire (after removing some wire clips to allow sufficient slack). I never disconnected the battery, and I never got the airbag light.

However, I was expecting to get the airbag and my plan was to simply disconnect the battery to reset it. That's what I had read, but didn't get a chance to test it. We have different vans, but it seems reasonable to me to think they may work similarly. I would suggest you try the more cautious route of disconnecting the battery first. Maybe the car's computer will never know you disconnected the sensor that way?

Disconnecting a battery is a routine part of many maintenance operations on a vehicle, so I'm sure there will be no permanent damage. There may be a slim chance that there's some process required to reset the airbag afterward, but then it would have to be a well known process that mechanics perform every time they work on a Transit.

closeanuf said:
If the dealer tells you to unhook the battery then that's the first thing I would do.  Have you ever been around an exploding airbag?  It ain't fun.  Understand the dealership has to cover their liability in cases like this.  I hate airbags myself but they are to be respected.  I'm sure there is a forum somewhere that will be able to help you; just be careful.

Yeah, breaking glasses is all airbags have been proven to do. I thought 60 minutes exposed air bags in early year 2000's. Seat belts save lives. Air bags break necks and glasses. Air bags are fastened by the dealers with keys only they have (for Nissan anyway.) I would not fool with them.

Don't snap your neck with an air-bag trying to save $35 for a dealer to use their keys! That smart guy who has the bug out videos put his motorcycle up in the front seat position. NOW he has a ONE-Person vehicle according to DMV's in every State in the Union! ANYTHING to do with your seats should be done at a commercial shop who does that; and KEEP you receipts!

If I was ever inclined to fool around with any mechanics, this is definitely not the reward/risk place to do it. I always have factory shop manuals on all my vehicles (to understand so I don't get easily ripped off), but you are not going to reach a 500 unit learning curve on wrenching anything ONE TIME!

Pay now or pay a whole lot more later. Every thing is electronically connected together for your SAFETY systems, and they make it as complex as possible to keep people from doing their own work. Good luck!
:D :D

CLOUD WOMAN said:
My Ford dealer said I should disconnect the battery first which concerns me that I might mess up something. 

Good luck even disconnecting the battery. The Transit starter battery is located UNDER the driver's seat and you have to about tear IT apart to get to the battery. 

Guess the good news is it isn't as affected by the cold?

closeanuf said:

I had already tuned the Air Bag off for the passenger side anyway just because I, like you, also do not care for them. I will disconnect the battery.

Latest posts