remove interior walls for more space

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilesport

Reaction score
My conversion van has fairly nice interior walls but 
i keep thinking that i could gain a little space by removing them.
The problem is if i just left them bare it'll look like crap.
I dont know what to use to make it look nice and get the maximum space.
Plus it sounds like alot of work
I measured my wall thickness and at some points its 5.25 inch deep.
But if add both sides together thats makes my van 10.5 inches wider..  
The upper portion of the wall is about 2.5inch wider  so my upper van could be 5 inhes wider with walls removed

Everybody I have ever known has regretted removing perfectly good interiors. Many often wind up selling them at a loss and replacing them with a nice one again.

I agree that it takes a certain commitment to basically gut and redo a van. Only you know if it's worth the effort for you. And it will be a lot of work - in my own cargo trailer I probably have well over 100 hours of labor invested, and I started with a clean slate. I only had to unscrew a few pieces of Luan paneling,vs removing an entire factory built interior. That said, I do find that most factory interiors have a huge amount of wasted space. So ask yourself honestly, is the extra space worth a huge chunk of time that could be spent on other pursuits, and do you have the knowledge, vision, and determination to build out a new interior? If the answer is yes, then go for it and make sure to post pictures of your dream! But if the answer is no, then that's ok. Live with what you have now, while saving for something you like better.

Have a PLAN... don't start tearing stuff out then go all WTF?

I am ripping mine out of my Safari... so much wasted space and space is money!! I will utilize every square inch I can and I have enough skills to avoid it looking like a wreck.

Its your van... do what makes you happy!!!

20160214_203838_zps3adye4f4.jpg.html
20160214_203838_zps3adye4f4.jpg.html

I have decided to keep the "hollow" walls of my 1996 Ford conversion van.  I plan on cutting some holes or large openings and filling as best I can with some type of insulation. Then glue the cutouts back in place or cover some other way.

I'm not gonna tear the whole interior out , i've decided to mainly keep the edges and just recess anywhere i can , Its not hollow under neath the edges so nothing to gain . Im also going to do it section at a time , and theres only three sections , i'm starting with the rear passenger side , everthing below the window is coming out.

I then am going to do the ,, everything below the drivers side rear window is coming out.

Then i'll do the third section , everything below that window is coming out

Section 1 below passenger window
SEction 2 below drivers side rear window
Section 3 below the front drivers side window

Those of us who started with cargo vans already had bare walls. Whether covering the walls is a big deal depends on how handy you are. It was no big deal for me, but I had tools and experience building things.

MrNoodly said:
Those of us who started with cargo vans already had bare walls. Whether covering the walls is a big deal depends on how handy you are. It was no big deal for me, but I had tools and experience building things.

What did you use for panels?

I'M THINKING OF JUST USING 1/4" HANDI PANEL ,, THEN VARNISH IT , I'LL have the wood grain going horizontal and then paint some flat black strips every 5 inches to try and make it look like a log cabin.
Sorry about the caps

I  tore it down , but I'm having problems posting pictures.
Are you only allowed to add 1 attachment per post?

I tore nearly the entire interior out of a 26' 1977 GMC Motorhome. Was hundreds of hours to build a new interior. If I could do it all over again, I'd have spent $10K more on a better, nicer, CLEANER one and left it mostly alone.

Curved walls will drive you nuts when redoing everything... That is why there is so much wasted space in conversion vans.

You could use the wasted space for storage by buying something like school lunch boxes and inserting them in the gaps. You get a little storage space with a latched, hinged door, and perhaps a picture of scooby doo and the mystery machine on the door... :dodgy:

Mobilesport said:
What did you use for panels?

Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) panels. It's the white pebbly stuff you see on public restroom walls, except I flipped it over and installed it smooth side out. Then I painted it a color that makes me happy. FRP is thin and flexible and easier to cut than plywood.

I did the ceiling with a single sheet of 1/8" plywood.

if you use 1/8 inch plywood/paneling it will bend to form the curved walls of a van. note you must use true plywood/paneling not the paneling that has a particle board core. highdesertranger

So how was the insulation underneath? 

Let us know if you think it was a good decision when you are done and how much space you gain.

highdesertranger said:
if you use 1/8 inch plywood/paneling it will bend to form the curved walls of a van.

And you'll probably need to go to a dedicated lumber supply place rather than a home improvement store in order to find it.

Latest posts