Remodelling vintage campers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you will not listen to those that have BTDT, lots of luck.  I have extensive plumbing, electrical, and construction experience, along with too many tools.  

I would not attempt this kind of project without a 3 car garage and a cabinet shop. 

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I personally loved how some people responded to this, as if I was in left field without a clue[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Alot of "You cannot do this because, because, because.". Sorry, I politely ignore these parts of those post[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I've worked on houses before[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm rather low on tools[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I've never rebuilt a camper before   [/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]where is the excitement people? [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Anyways one of the first few steps would be stripping everything out[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]How does everyone feel about a wood burning stove?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Are you sure you want to know our opinion? [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

mdoverl said:
How does everyone feel about a wood burning stove?

Personally, I would run in the other direction really fast at any trailer that was supposedly retro and had a wood burning stove in it.

If I want a fire, I want it outside in a ring of rocks with my friends around it, not inside a camper where I have to lug in the wood and lug out the ashes.

There is definitely a small super niche market for vintage camper trailers and RV's. I think Shasta has even re-issued the 1961-ish canned ham trailers in their line up. Retro is kind of the in-thing. These canned-ham trailers, and older camper vans like Xplorer/Surveyor/Merry-Miler/Chinook sell for ALOT of money when in original condition.

Well I'm learning that people are hell bent on telling you shouldn't do something, that's honestly most of what I'm getting from this.

I enjoy working, I enjoy hard labor. It's in my blood.

I sweat and bleed.

But many people are intent on saying that the sweat and blood is not worth it, quite, give up.

This forum is great for many things, but it's becoming clear that rebuilding vintage campers is a topic not meant for this forum.

So I apologize if the thought of working on a old camper and rebuilding it offended anyone. I'll keep this project to myself from here on out.

I do greatly appreciate those of you who have given opinions as to what I should put and not put into a rebuilt camper. I will take your words to heart.

Everyone have a great Life!

mdoverl said:
So lately I've been thinking and discussing with my dad the idea of remodeling vintage campers and possibly selling them (I'll keep one that I remodel). I got this idea as I was walking through my dads camper and thinking "huh, this could be way more efficient if certain things were changed, and it doesn't seem to be built for a dweller."
     Like, why waste space for a stove top and oven, turn it in counter top space and just have a coleman burner (which i have the crazy or unique idea of including in the sale). I'm been wondering if there is a way to make it planet friendly and remove the black tank. I haven't fully though everything out, but I'm in the stage of bouncing around ideas in my head. I would love to hear other peoples ideas, good and bad, pros and cons on this idea. I'm sure some other people have already done this.
     My is willing to donate his 1965 camper (18 footer I thing, don't know the manufacturer yet) as the first test subject after the winter.

This is from your first post. I highlighted the part where you invited us to give you our opinions and advice.

You also said ' I haven't fully thought everything out'

Apparently asking for advice was only meant if we were all willing to say 'go ahead, you have a great idea. You can rip out vintage stuff that people pay for and replace it with fewer facilities than people want and you will make great money at it'

Vintage campers do have a following, there's no doubt about that. BUT the following is for the ones that are in mint condition and haven't been torn apart.

Unfortunately, we were all just trying to help you where help obviously wasn't wanted.

Hard labor, sweat and blood ARE appreciated. And much appreciated by those of us here who have already put blood and sweat in to our vehicles and our work.

wood stoves are great especially in an 18 foot rig plenty of room, don't give up you have the skills, trailer builds, electrical and plumbing are not that complicated, you don't need a cabinet shop or a garage or have to be an electrical engineer, Every time you do something and ask opinions on it, there will always be the nay sayers you have to move around them and keep walking towards your goal it is annoying but don't take it personally. It may be difficult to make a living doing this but not impossible if you can find the right rigs.

I will give my 2 cents even if you have already shot it down. first off if you want to do it for your own personal use I say go for it and do what ever you want. however to do this on a commercial basis you have to play by the rules. for one thing dumping of grey water is illegal in many areas and in all National Parks. dumping black water is always illegal and in some areas you must have a black tank of a certain size just to camp there. another point most people would not prefer to have a wet bath(they are a pain). another point a lot of people like ovens(I am one). another point camp stoves are for outdoor use only says so right on the stove, there is no way to supply a camp stove and meet the RV regs. building houses and building RV's are two totally different animals, houses do not have a weight rating. I am not trying to discourage you, I am trying to point you in the right direction. classic trailers are just like classic cars as soon as you modified it from stock you have killed 75% of your market and 80% of the value. highdesertranger

^ once again ^ what HDR said X2.

You may find people that want a TT the way you plan for yours but it might be a good idea to only do those by request ??

To the OP...... mdoverl.......

You're emotionally invested in your trailer rebuild model. Not a bad thing, it's good to be passionate about ideas and business models.

Trouble is, you can't see the forest through the trees and you don't know where the trail through the forest is.

You asked for advice, many older and wiser people have taken their time to give you advice, sadly it isn't the excited positive advice that you are convinced you should get!

Many of us have started businesses over the years, some have succeeded, many have failed.
The advice you recieved is from those of us who have graduated from the "University of Hard Knocks" Summa Cum Laude!

We are saying to be CAREFUL, to KNOW the market, to NOT get carried away with making it all new but to value, restore and preserve the original.

Never having rebuilt a vehicle or specifically a Travel Trailer, you've no idea how much work it can be to do it right.
Many of us DO KNOW the time cost and material cost perils of this path.

Don't get angry at us, instead go back and read this thread with an open mind, seriously consider what we've said. Realize that we aren't here to rain on your parade but rather are compassionately trying to help you NOT fail, just as we would help a child that we love.

What have we said? Do you remember?

#1 - BUY the right units at the right price point.

#2 - PRESERVE rather than discard the historic character of the unit.

#3 - IDENTIFY what modifications are warranted or wanted and that buyers will pay for.

#4 - STANDARDS, this is not a loose unregulated industry. There are codes that must be followed and accepted practices as well. There are trade groups that regulate the RV industry, join one, get the codes in hand and avoid the huge lawsuit that will bankrupt you when catastrophic failure happens.
You can't just "wing" it here, a good example is your comment of using a gas stove inside that was designed for outside use.

Bottom line, we don't know you at all, but being who we are, we actually do care about you and would love to see you succeed.
Proceed carefully, listen to advice, make a business plan and know where the tipping point is that takes you from making a profit to having a disassembled money pit.

A wise man listens to and weighs advice from his peers and elders. A fool barges ahead in an unplanned manner shunning advice and not heeding warnings.
My life and financial situation would be way different today if I had not ignored the advice of a "grumpy, negative" old man 30 some years ago.
Looking back, He loved me and was only trying to save me from failure and heart break....... IF I had only listened.......

Dave

I say follow your passion. If your passion is vintage travel trailers, then go for it. It may work. It may not work. There is only one way to find out for sure, and thats to try. As long as you do your homework with due diligence.

I would love to start a business restoring, and doing 4x4 conversions to old(er) camper vans. Problem is, although I am a good welder (I like to think so atleast) and I can wrench on anything with wheels, I am THE WORST carpenter ever to grace this world. I cant even cut plywood straight! EVEN WITH A TABLE SAW. I would have to hire a journeyman/master cabinet maker at large bux and I wouldn't make a penny doing it.

Any journeyman/master cabinet makers out there wanna start a business? I'll restore the body and make em 4x4. You restore the interior. We go 50/50 haha...

You will be buying your components at retail, Trailer manufacturers buy at wholesale and get good prices because of the number purchased. There is no Blue Book value for what you will be offering. Insurance carriers will not want to insure it for the same value as you are selling it.

It is like a painting. it may be worth $30K, but only if you find someone that feels the same about it. Very very small market. Other companies are already building retro style units with all new components. You will be in competition with them, and they will have all the advantages.

I wish you well, but like most others here, I think your dream would turn into a nightmare.

mdoverl
Don't give up on the dream , just ease into it ! Kind of like a swim in the ocean on a northern beach.

Steamjam
My mind (used to) live in the wood world and I struggle (in more ways than one) with metal...
I'd say yes but I'm done with that phase of my life.....only for myself and alap.
(as little as possible).
Now wires are metal but I can do it in my sleep.......

go for it,find a couple diamonds in the ruff that just need some cleanup/paint and wood refinishing
if you do a nice job and people see it some might hire you to rebuild theirs and thats where the money is

retro glamping is an in thing and urbanits will pay good money to do it

and if you get a shop going,i will be available for a temp position when in the area,of coarse union wages

that's a good start. however I find some of their standards to be substandard. for instance the use of solid wire for the 120v side of an RV. this would not meet the marine regs. and I can't see why the RV industry allows it. highdesertranger

here you go md found these pictures of my old trailer this is after I cleaned her up fixed a bunch of stuff and touched her up.
DSCN0990 (800x600).jpgDSCN1000 (800x600).jpgDSCN0997 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0990 (800x600).jpg
    DSCN0990 (800x600).jpg
    424.7 KB
  • DSCN1000 (800x600).jpg
    DSCN1000 (800x600).jpg
    386.3 KB
  • DSCN0997 (800x600).jpg
    DSCN0997 (800x600).jpg
    400 KB
I found this site while I was rebuilding our small fifth wheel for our own use. Wish I had found it sooner. There are a lot of folks on here doing it for a living, great info. http://repairingyesterdaystrailers.yuku.com/

Here are a few pictures of the finished project. Note, I have plenty of tools but not a big enough garage to put the camper in. It took 8 months (after I retired) to do the work. The cost, approximately $3500.00. This is the figure for the purchase of the camper and all repair components, no labor. I am sure I could not sell it at a profit, but that was not the plan. 

Note, I recently replaced the stove top with an oven model because my wife likes to bake.

eEmPUSiUsVhr1vtB7
kFE1xo4tA72NZmBP6
KxYkU2vt19Se6KDt8
hwEXtUg9Y9iZVGd16

Good Luck

clontheroad said:
I found this site while I was rebuilding our small fifth wheel for our own use. Wish I had found it sooner. There are a lot of folks on here doing it for a living, great info. http://repairingyesterdaystrailers.yuku.com/

Here are a few pictures of the finished project. Note, I have plenty of tools but not a big enough garage to put the camper in. It took 8 months (after I retired) to do the work. The cost, approximately $3500.00. This is the figure for the purchase of the camper and all repair components, no labor. I am sure I could not sell it at a profit, but that was not the plan. 

Note, I recently replaced the stove top with an oven model because my wife likes to bake.

eEmPUSiUsVhr1vtB7
kFE1xo4tA72NZmBP6
KxYkU2vt19Se6KDt8
hwEXtUg9Y9iZVGd16

Good Luck

Well, guess I have to figure out how to post pics. You can right click on the links to view them.

Another try at photos.

20160628_131915.jpg  20160628_131724.jpg  20160628_131802.jpg  20160628_131630.jpg

Attachments

• 20160628_131915.jpg
    20160628_131915.jpg
    1.9 MB
  • 20160628_131724.jpg
    20160628_131724.jpg
    1 MB
  • 20160628_131802.jpg
    20160628_131802.jpg
    957.9 KB
  • 20160628_131630.jpg
    20160628_131630.jpg
    883.3 KB
steamjam1 said:
I say follow your passion. If your passion is vintage travel trailers, then go for it. It may work. It may not work. There is only one way to find out for sure, and thats to try. As long as you do your homework with due diligence.

I would love to start a business restoring, and doing 4x4 conversions to old(er) camper vans. Problem is, although I am a good welder (I like to think so atleast) and I can wrench on anything with wheels, I am THE WORST carpenter ever to grace this world. I cant even cut plywood straight! EVEN WITH A TABLE SAW. I would have to hire a journeyman/master cabinet maker at large bux and I wouldn't make a penny doing it.

Any journeyman/master cabinet makers out there wanna start a business? I'll restore the body and make em 4x4. You restore the interior. We go 50/50 haha...

Um, are you anywhere close to the Colorado Front Range? I'd love to something like this on the side.