Refrigerators

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Hey ya'll I'm a semi truck driver and looking to upgrade my igloo cooler to a real compressor refrigerator. I need it to store about a week's supplies and fit next to me while I drive so I can easily get a drink when I want one. I'm looking at this one. Anyone know anything about this brand? Or is there any recommendations for another one?

Alpicool C20 Portable Refrigerator 21 Quart(20 Liter) Vehicle, Car, Truck, RV, Boat, Mini fridge freezer for Driving, Travel, Fishing, Outdoor and Home use -12/24V DC and 110-240 AC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075R1LH8D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PKUzCb9TPKC2S

Alpicool is a relative newcomer to the refrigerator market. so far as I have seen they are getting good reviews, but time will tell. do a mock up of the interior box size and see if it's big enough for you. in other words make yourself a cardboard box the same size as the interior. that's a very small unit. highdesertranger

I got a truckfridge TB31 with the insulating cover.
Bob ordered and reviewed the larger TB51. So far so good. Never going back to ice.

Tell Terry Deb in NJ sent you (there are no referral points just tell him I said HEY) and watch for deals and free shipping!

I have an Alpicool 15, I use it as a freezer. Six months in, I have no complaints.

This is a situation where the study of ergonomics comes into play. That just means how easy is it for your body to do a task and how do things need to be designed for the task to be easily accomplished.

If you want it to sit next to you and be able to reach right into it then height matters as much as width and length. The height being the distance from you buttocks to your arm pit. If it is taller than that it won't be easy to reach into it and pull stuff up and out. You also need to be able to reach the latch on the top with your right hand, open the latch one handed and to lift it open and have it stay open while you extract the object.

You can buy an expensive fridge or a less expensive one but what matters most is can you reach in and get out the can you want while you are sitting in the drivers seat.

I've been running a TB51 for 3 months and no issues.

There are others here that have been using truckfridge refrigerators for years.

They use Secop (formally DanFoss) compressors, which is what the more expensive Dometic, ARB, etc... fridges use.

I'm all about the best bang for the buck and why I went with them.

We have had this same size/model Alpicool for about 6 months now. It keeps everything amazingly cold for a small amount of energy use. A very good price point if you only needs to cool a small amount of items.