Refrigeration

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<P>It would likely take a very long time to cool it down everyday too. You would probably end up running the genset for at least 6-8 hours a day everyday. It takes much more energy to cool a given space down to a certain temp than it does to maintain it.</P>

Somehow I ended up not subed to this thread and it got away from me. Anyway, I did read a couple of the posts early on and decided against this particular fridge because of it's physical condition. I did eventually find a gas/110V fridge at a very good price and bought it, although it is in my van, it is not hooked up to gas yet.<br><br>gus<br><br>

Many many moons ago, when I was young and foolish, I tried to use one of those smaller apartment sized fridges (abt 3' tall) in my then rig, a Winnebago. Had 45W solar, inverter, and 2 deep cycle wet cells.. and that lousy hunka garbage drained the batteries and the only way I could get it reasonably cool was to either hook up to mains power or take a drive. Cool, I say, not cold. <br>&nbsp;K.. a few years later and I had bought my Waeco 12v compressor cooler/fridge. Rear end of my truck grenaded in Osoyoos, in the early summer, and stuck it, with the camper in the bed, in a storage compound for about a month. 45W solar, 1 wet cell, my Waeco, and about 15 lbs of frozen meat and some frozen veggies in the cooler.. still frozen solid when I got back. The solar panels were all dusty, but the battery was charged. Had the Waeco set a 3 outta 7 (7 being coldest). So there! ..Willy.<br><br>

Willy,<br>That story could sell a lot of Waeco compressor fridges for sure; not to mention a few solar set ups.<br>I will certainly be looking into it in the future as my research has proven that a door seal for this little Norcold is no longer made. The seal is still working but very dry &amp; stiff. I'll use it until it doesn't seal anymore.<br><br>Gus<br>

Latest posts