hot logic mini -thrift store find!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
While out running errands I stopped at a local thrift store..it was senior discount day. I do like to browse certain aisles sometimes looking for specific items other times just keeping an eye out for things that are possible use for nomadic RVing. Today I found a like new Hot Logic Mini ( https://hotlogicmini.com/ ) on the shelf...price after senior discount $3.50! 

This one has a 110v plug on it so it has to be used with an inverter for the car. But they do make them with a 12V plug. So I took it home, plugged it into 110v and put a couple of frozen egg rolls in being sure to keep them apart from each other so there was better heat distribution. It was pretty cold in the office space today, no central heating. So after plugging it in I took two bath towels, folded them so there were more layers of towel and then draped them over the Hot Logic. I think that was a big help in getting a faster cooking time. I did check on the unit about 30 minutes later and it was toasty warm under those towels which meant that the Hot Logic could use more insulation.   I could not feel any heat on the outside of the towels so two bath towels was just right for holding the heat in. I went back in an hour and I enjoyed my nicely warmed eggrolls, perfectly hot inside, not lukewarm but not burn your mouth hot, just right!  This evening I put a couple of tamales in it for my dinner. They were not frozen but had been in the fridge. I think that was certainly an excellent way to warm them up.

I think for road trips it is a very good option for warming up leftovers or grabbing a frozen treat like burritos from the grocery store on those days when you are going to do a couple of hours of driving. I plan to try making a simple quesadilla in it for tomorrow's lunch. Might as well have fun playing with my new toy by heating a variety of things in it. I do enjoy experiments.

The Hot Logic Mini will never be as fast as cooking in a microwave or stovetop. It is only 45 watts of heat on 110v. But if you plan ahead it can be a useful assest, especially for those individuals who have fear of using bottled gas with flames. But of course unless you have solar and battery power it is just for those days with a few hours of drive time or for someone who is Nomadic in a Prius or spending at least a couple of hours at a facility with shore power.

I've actually got one of those here and haven't used it yet. Maybe today is the day. I've watched the videos of putting in an entire frozen dinner like Lean Cuisine, unopened, you have to put in the whole box, and the Hot Logic Mini will have it ready in 4 hours. Mine is the 12v version.

I have the big one (9x12) and the mini. I like them both. But I keep them going, when I use them, on a wooden cutting board and/or a blanket to diffuse the heat, not increase it. I found the temps soaring way past the manufacturer's spec. Such that if you keep an eye on the unit, maybe you will be fine. But unlike a regular slow cooker, which I can leave overnight and longer with complete confidence, this thing is clearly way out of spec and I would feel very uncomfortable leaving on certain surfaces or simply assuming it would cook my food the way I want it cooked.

All that said, having what is essentially a low-power oven available is, to me, worth a great deal. Just don't think you're going to be able to rely on the manufacturer's claims as to temp and cooking time ... and therefore recipes ... which by the way are incredibly sparse and elementary/obvious in the original materials

Well, I tried the Lean Cuisine ... works great. I have a hot meal! So excited, really. It is essential not to puncture or open the box prior to putting it into the Hot Logic Mini.