Reformed spender

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score
When I started doing the full time van life back in February 2014, my credit card debt amount was around $14k or so. My debt level is now reduced to about $2,000 which will be paid off in next few months. I will then have a zero debt balance. Wow, can't wait.

What has brought me to this progress level? It's a combination of living in my van full time with no rent payment. Plus working like a dog doing my driving job 10 to 12 hours a day 6 and even 7 days a week. It's amazing that working so many hours a week gives me no free time to spend money on frills.

Plus working so many freakin hours a week now gives me a new appreciation for how hard it is to earn a buck. When I was formerly working a full time desk job, I didn't quite fully appreciate how hard it is to earn a paycheck. Now I do.

Once I pay off the last amount of credit card debt, I will then concentrate on accumulating net savings which seems like a foreign concept to me. It's ironic that I used to work in finance but don't have the discipline to save. Absurd even.

At the rate I'm earning and saving, I'm guestimating I should have at least $15k to $20k saved up by end of next year 2016. More importantly, I have now built up a good habit of working hard and spending little. Took me all my freakin life to get to this point, haha!

I realize I haven't been posting as much on this board as I used to. But driving on the road for so many hours has been my main focus.

By the way Bob, no I haven't bought any new wrist watches lately, hyuck yuck! :)

Casey
Reformed Big Spender

This is cool to see. Congratulations! Maybe there's hope for me too. My basic expenses are about $500 a month. But I give in too easily when my friends need help financially. And I date too often. Women are expensive! I've done way better lately but still have work to do.

Iggy said:
  Women are expensive!

'Attitude Alert', Alarm bells ringing loudly.... :D

No, women are not inherently expensive. You choose to find and date women who are!

Signed a debt free and not expensive woman.... :p

PS. Congratulations Casey - think what it will feel like when you are totally debt free!!

Uhm, you may think this is odd, but my story is very similar. I owed plenty on credit cards, eventually got it under control and paid them off.  I became a serious saver.

Now that I need to SPEND my savings for the freedom machine, solar panels, an Engle fridge, etc.  I find myself hesitating.  I am reluctant to spend any of the hard won savings.

Sometimes HAVING money can be as bad as OWING money.

Regards
John

Iggy said:
This is cool to see. Congratulations! Maybe there's hope for me too. My basic expenses are about $500 a month. But I give in too easily when my friends need help financially. And I date too often. Women are expensive! I've done way better lately but still have work to do.

For many years I've used the line "I think you should take me out on a date".

It works really well too.  In the end, I _ALWAYS_ offer to pay, but it seems to get better quality women that aren't just after your money.

Good on you Casey. Not easily done. I know, I've been there. You must be so proud of yourself as you should be. You know what I noticed once I got out of debt and started saving? I don't know why it works this way but it's almost two times faster to save let say $500 than it is to pay $500 worth of debt....and the wonderful 'warmsy' feeling that comes along with it....priceless.

My motto for many years now as been "Take care of your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves" That's what pups into my mind when I'm about to spend a few dollars here and there on stuff I don't need or I could have for cheaper somewhere else if I only looked around a bit.

It will feel soooooooo gooooood the day you make that last payment. Try not to get arrested because you'll be jumping up and down in the middle of the street from pure joy!

It won't be long now.

Nicole

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Uhm, you may think this is odd, but my story is very similar. I owed plenty on credit cards, eventually got it under control and paid them off.  I became a serious saver.

Now that I need to SPEND my savings for the freedom machine, solar panels, an Engle fridge, etc.  I find myself hesitating.  I am reluctant to spend any of the hard won savings.

Sometimes HAVING money can be as bad as OWING money.

Regards
John

Good for you!  You should be reluctant to spend money on many of those things.  I never will again, they were a mistake to start with.

The school of screw ups has very high tuition.

Thank you for the kind wishes, much appreciated. I've already paid off the other car recently purchased for my driving job. I have no car loans at all. I could kick myself for all the useless spending that I thought I needed for van living but turned out unnecessary for my brand of urban boondocking. I consider all that behind me now. Today is my first day off after working like a dog every day for 4 straight weeks. All to pay down my debts. But as I said, all this tiring work has given me a new appreciation for how hard it is to earn a buck.

By the way, as to bad choices of women, wives and dating, that's another sad chapter in my life. After 3 divorces, I learned my lesson the hard way in that area as well. It's all water under the bridge for me now. The future is looking brighter for me now. Long live van dwelling!

Ha that is so funny, we all chip in and get him a cooking class... we camped fairly close at the 14 RTR and was astonished at the level of cooking skills casey possessed. Boiled water anyone? (just kidding) with a little help you will do just fine. Take care buddy.

We have the same observation: when I was a boss, I went to work and collected my paycheck. Now that I'm semi-retired and working part-time jobs, I have found that the lower the pay, the harder I have to work! Trying to make a living is a real eye opener.

Anyway, good to hear from you and I'm glad things are going well!

I can understand trying to pay down debt. But don't neglect paying yourself first.

Well , I guess you're a success story ,in the finance department anyway !
I have no idea what they're saying about your cooking skills ??
Skuh kuh kuh kuh
Put the same effort into that and you'll be enjoying some fine dining fer sure ...everyone will be lining up for a taste !

Heeeey. I can burn water just as well as the next bachelor, haha!

Truthfully though, I work long hours so I can afford to splurge on eating outside 3 times a day. I never cook, period. Well, not counting the very few times in my younger days trying to cook a homemade dinner to impress a date, haha!

My eating out expense is probably $30 daily, I'm guessing. By the way, I have lots of cooking gear. Just doesn't get used.

By the way, I'm grateful in my life that I'm able to "afford" living in the most expensive city in the U.S., all while having no landlord and no boss, but yet can manage to earn a living. I am grateful. Thanks Bob for inspiring me to be in my van full time to make it all possible.

Latest posts