Reflectix vs. aluminized foam board on windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I painted [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]aluminized foam board black and put it in my Windows and it looked like crap from outside looking through the tint , I removed it and painted  some pink rigid foam board black and it looks much better. [/font]

Mobilesport said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I painted [fon‌t=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]aluminized foam board black and put it in my Windows and it looked like crap from outside looking through the tint , I removed it and painted  some pink rigid foam board black and it looks much better. [/font][/font]

Now I think the cat needs glasses.

Here is what is in my windows. I can fully turn on a 100 watt light and go outside the rig and see no light at night:
Refletix: for insultaion
I use cardboard cut to the window shape.
Taped onto the cardboard is thick quality black garbage bags.
Window.

I hope this helps,
Belinda2

I don't understand dark windows, except to help disguise what you've got in the van, and maybe cut down the glare.

Black cars can be 30-35 degrees hotter than a white car, and they cool down more slowly.

What PART of window film or tint cuts the radiant heat?  Or, what part of the sunlight does it reduce or eliminate?

A black car in direct sunlight heats more and faster no doubt.

But if two cars, black and white were at the same temperature and removed from direct sunlight, the black car would cool more quickly due to the higher emissivity of darker colors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissivity

But physics are often ignored when it comes to insulation and more so when there is emotion involved.

Many window tints make claims about the reflecting of heat.
  Go read some of their marketing, and decide what you want to believe.

As any dairy farmer can tell you, if you put your hands on a Hostein cow, the black spots are considerably hotter than the rest of the white body.

I have used Reflectix for years in my Aliner's bubble windows. I just press it into the bubble and it stays put but can be easily removed. I use the double sided double bubble Reflectix. I also use it over the flat windows secured with Velcro tape. It also reflects your infrared body heat back toward you in the winter to keep you considerably warmer that open windows alone - even though the R-value is small.

rvv7eq.jpg

Here's a shot or the ceiling.

28uphr8.jpg

A shot of the side window.

Chip

TrainChaser said:
I don't understand dark windows, except to help disguise what you've got in the van, and maybe cut down the glare.

Black cars can be 30-35 degrees hotter than a white car, and they cool down more slowly.

What PART of window film or tint cuts the radiant heat?  Or, what part of the sunlight does it reduce or eliminate?

With a black window, the window will get hot and the surrounding outside air will help cool it, and carry the heat away. With a clear window the sun's energy rays pass through it and heat whatever is inside. 

There is now a clear window tint used on windshields that is better at blocking the sun's rays than dark tint.  

TrainChaser said:

This video from another van guy on YouTube -- Backroads Vanner -- is a bit long at 30 mins+, but it is a detailed discussion and demonstration with the long-time owner of a tinting shop.  I learned quite a bit from it, especially related to the newer products.  I particularly liked the digital thermometer testing and the application of the tinting film.

Vagabound

I will not be getting my van till next spring. If I can't find a windowless van, my plan is to place solid white vinyl wrap on the exterior of door glass. Inside will be silver backed polystyrene, with silver side facing glass. All covered on the inside with Luan. Any comments good or bad on my plan?