Very new

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We only took 300W of solar this trip. We plan to add up to four 245W panels, depending on the weight. ("four" may be unrealistic)
With the AC300 and B300, you have to feed the beast!! With the inverter on (and no draw), the AC300 draws 30W. It also will not charge if less than 100W is being input. But we ran the chest fridge (constantly), microwave (occasionally) and AC (at night), as well as charging a couple small solar generator. Beginner’s Guide: Cheapest Way to Power Your Van Life!

Will you keep us up-to-date on that?
Our normal route to California (without a trailer) is along I-80 but the thought of coming off Donner Pass without trailer brakes caused us to go south and take I-40. The Prius (without a trailer) would zoom up and down the hills in Wyoming, California, etc. with no trouble. While 1100 pounds is within the towing capacity of the Prius, our gas mileage was greatly reduced and the car struggled going up long hills, where the battery ran out of power. If you are driving in the West, I would suggest a lighter trailer or a slow and careful journey. We will try again in the future and report back. With 12 inch wheels (instead of the 8 inch wheels that come with it), the foldable 4'x8' Harbor Freight trailer held up well and can be the basis of a light, cheap nomad foamy conversion. If anyone else is towing a trailer with a Prius, I would love to hear about your experiences.

Latest posts