Reflectix turns Car into Faraday Cage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I’ll need to get a Cell Booster for my car. I found plenty on Amazon.

Anyone have a preferred brand?

I understand how signal Boosters work, just not sure if the community has a specific product they prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeBoost works well for me. I have the cradle type that you put your cell device in. I use handsfree if I need a voice connection.

The most amazing thing act of kindness has just come from this community.

I’ve been chatting with a couple of nomads this morning who are on their way to wickenburg Arizona right now. We were talking about our builds and a nomad who is retired from IT gave me a “Signal Boost Wilson Dual Band Cellular/PCS”. He said that he never has problem with signal and doesn’t need it.

I was completely shocked, and thanked him profusely.

I feel bad because I don’t remember their names, but I hope I run across them again.

I’m still surprised, someone even brought me eggs on toast this morning because I can’t cook yet, it was amazing.

There are a lot of people here that do more than just pay it forward! Thanks for everything you guys do!

Thanks to the awesome people, I’m now getting three bars of signal inside my faraday cage with a signal booster.

I’m speechless.

I can’t wait until I can pay it forward!!!

How did Reflectix turn your car into a Faraday Cage?

Guy

Reflectix is a radiant blocker, it blocks radiation from the sun, cell tower signals are also radioactive, there for they can be blocked by reflectix also. Below is quote on its ability to block radiation.

https://emfempowerment.com/what-materials-block-radiation/

“Reflectix. We talked about aluminum above. Reflectix is essentially aluminum, times two. It comes in roll-form, is 5/16-inch thick, and consists of seven layers: two layers of aluminum foil, each surrounded by a layer of polyethylene, on the outside. On the inside, there are two layers of insulating bubbles with another layer of polyethylene in the center. The result is a material that can pretty effectively block RF-EMF radiation.”

As we can see, aluminum is a pretty good radiation blocker. In the IT world, when running cables and setting up wireless access points, we have to pay attention to building materials to make sure we’re getting full effectiveness of wireless access points.

Now I can wear an aluminum hat that is insulated! Lol!!!

You need to have an air gap between the reflectix hat and your skull.

If you are going to wear that Bullfrog you already have a big air gap between your ears [emoji12]

I wrapped a radio in reflectix. Still played Country 101.

Something I’m still having problems with even though I have a signal booster.

Sending data from my phone to the tower, takes longer for messages to post because that data is transmitted from my phone, and not from the signal booster antenna. Also issues with search queries on various apps, request for videos to start playing, but once the video starts, no problem, because that data is being received by the signal booster antenna.

Short version of the above;

1. Data transmitted by my phone, severely delayed due to reflectix and the phone is inside the car.
2. Data received, no problem because the antenna is receiving it and the antenna is outside the car.

I’m curious if there is a transmitter/receiver style antenna for cell phones. I’ll do some research into that.

I enjoy these little challenges.

mdoverl said:
I’m curious if there is a transmitter/receiver style antenna for cell phones. I’ll do some research into that.

I enjoy these little challenges.

I’ve only search for 10 minutes so far, but all I’m finding is FM transmitters for cell phones. I’m using the following search term;

Cell phone transmitter

Anyone know if this exist? I doubt it, more than likely you’d have to crack open the phone and connect to the transmitter inside, which I’m certainly not doing with an iPhone.

I guess it never occurred to me that my Wilson booster might be receive only. I'll look into it more.

I moved my car about 30-40 feet and everything is fine(Getting 2-4 bars now), but it still warrants research on my part.