reflectix question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I think I get it. Presently since I'm more concerned about heat I should apply the Henry coating to the roof, install the Maxxair vent/ceiling fan, rig up an awning system (treated white canvas) that starts from opposite side of side door side, spans the entire roof (1ft between canvas and roof) and extends and slopes maybe 10' out from the side door for ground shade, try to park in shade, and wait until fall to insulate with polyiso, since what I have read so far, the insulation will eventually trap heat in the CT....better for winter application or if I was running AC? What do you all think of gluing or sewing reflectix on the canvas part over the roof facing up of course? I'm going to figure out an almost free floating awning support system using pvc pipe, nuts & bolts....no glue quick easy set up/take down. No attachment to CT except underside frame. At least in theory I think it can work.

Oh, and if anyone has tried a pvc support system please post your experience....pros/cons. I would be taking it all down before going mobile of course, except for the 2 frame bolted pieces. I'm assuming I can get fabric from a tent/awning maker?

Very impressive, Ken. I figured pvc would work well structurally for this purpose and can't beat the weight factor. I'll save this info for down the road. Burning Man always intrigued me.....looks like a "good trip". Thanks.

Ken - I've seen that write up before and it always intrigues me. My biggest questions about it are 1) is it a little overkill for someplace like the RTR in Jan?, & 2) how much room would all the tarps and supports take up?

dogear - nice concise write up on your plan for beating the heat.