Recipe's for Boondocking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
Wow, Mother Earth News, now that's a blast from the past.

It's an exciting event to find the latest issue in the mail  :)

I don't think I can give up my Iron skillets and Dutch oven. They are one of the few things I didn't sell or give away :( Are they really too heavy and bulky for van life? The idea is breaking my heart :(

We have kept most of our cast iron because the best meals have come from them. Wouldn't want to backpack with them but my right foot doesn't get any more tired with them in the truck.

Guess it just comes down to how many iron skillets and Dutch ovens you plan to take with you. Might have to do some serious culling. Good luck.

Cat Lady said:
Guess it just comes down to how many iron skillets and Dutch ovens you plan to take with you.  Might have to do some serious culling.  Good luck.
I have a grill, Dutch oven, 4 large skillets and 3 small skillets. I could survive with just the Dutch oven, small skillet and large skillet. Honestly, it's just me and my dog but I raised 4 sons and their friends. I still haven't learned how to cook single servings. 

Ok, I could survive with less - but I'm not sure I would want to.

RowanFae said:
I have a grill, Dutch oven, 4 large skillets and 3 small skillets. I could survive with just the Dutch oven, small skillet and large skillet. Honestly, it's just me and my dog but I raised 4 sons and their friends. I still haven't learned how to cook single servings. 

I'll be camped near you at RTR 2019. I'll drive into the wind about dinner time to close in, then look for the line of people with plates in their hands  :D

I just bought a 10 inch omelette pan and a big covered sautee pan, if that's what you call them, with high sides and a flat bottom going almost all the way to the sides. It's big enough to boil pasta in or cook one-pot meals big enough for a whole family. I like to cook big too!

That still counts as accumulating more stuff, which ... might be a mistake ... but I really like cooking and find it one of the greatest money savers in my life ... and good food one of the greatest pleasures.

I think I'm done buying any kitchen stuff, thank goodness. I only have a two-burner stovetop, so it's not like I'll be juggling a full suite of pots and pans around anymore.

rm.w/aview said:
I'll be camped near you at RTR 2019. I'll drive into the wind about dinner time to close in, then look for the line of people with plates in their hands  :D

Ha! I never said I was a GOOD cook :)

But if you're feeling brace, sure. Come on over for dinner!

I made this in an Instant Pot but a solar oven would probably work well. Since I don't have one perhaps someone who does will make this.

Beef Stew (I was cleaning out the stuff that was getting older)

1 pound raw beef roast cut into chunks (leave the fat in) - I used chuck because it was the cheapest cut at the store
1 lg onion cut into large chunks
1 tablespoon of minced garlic from a jar or use fresh
1 cup mushrooms cut in halve or quarters (I had 2 lg portebellos so that is what I used.
5 or 6 carrots, washed and cut into 1 inch chunks (don't peel unless you have root growth)
2 parsnips (because I had them) peeled and cut like the carrots
6 - 8 small potatoes peeled (they were old) and quartered
2 tablespoons Better than Bouillon Beef base or any powdered/cubed bouillon
Any other root veg that you might need to use up though beets might be a bit much.
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp thyme
1 cup wine or beer (optional but it really gets the meat tender)
Water as needed.
Salt and pepper to taste when done cooking.

If you are going to brown your meat, drizzle a spoonful or two of oil into your chosen pot that has a lid. Dump in the onions, mushrooms, garlic and beef. Add the spices, wine and bouillon base. Dump in the root vegetables. Add water so the meat is covered and the veggies are partly covered. Don't stir. Here is where I locked on the lid of the pressure cooker and let it rip for 30 minutes under pressure on the stew setting. If you use a pressure cooker, cook the potatoes separately and let the cooker depressurize naturally. Most of the day in a solar oven? Several hours on the stove top or in a regular oven at 350. It might even work in the coals on the edge of a fire. When you are done cooking, you can thicken the broth with 2 T of flour or other starch in 1/2 cup water slurry if you want or eat it soupy. If you like spicy add some red pepper. Make it your own.