Cast iron Dutch Oven, enameled

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverVoyager

Reaction score
Even though I don't have the van yet I'm putting together my "hope chest". Just brought home a 6 qt Dutch Oven that is very heavy cast iron but the surfaces are enameled. My reasoning that this might be a good item to have on my travels is that I can cook a whole dinner in it, and it was easy to clean. Yesterday I cooked my first meal in it, seasoned and browned a whole chicken breast down, turned over and added wine and water, carrots and potatoes and cooked on medium low for about an hour. It was really good. With the leftover juices,veggies and chicken in the pot for leftovers all I need to do is add more water and top with biscuits and cook till done.
I'm going to experiment with other meats, desserts and breads.
Does anyone else travel with a million lbs Dutch Oven? Any suggestions for online recipes? I love this DO and pretty determined to make it work. It's also big enough to wash dishes in.
Oh, one last thing, if I lay a steamer basket on top I can simultaneously cook other veggies or tamales.

Mine doesn't way a ton but I wouldn't be without it.

When I was packing 2 years ago I seriously thought about leaving it in storage. I'm really glad I didn't because it's seen a lot of use and it's been loaned out innumerable times for when we're doing group dinners. It's also been put in to service for a salad bowl for a crowd and a mixing bowl...and and!!.. :D

I have old griswold dutch ovens I will take with me ... but I am probably going to sell my le creuset cast iron and enamel dutch oven because it will upset me (a lot) if it gets chipped.

Your Dutch Oven sounds like a wonderful utensil !

The capability of single pot, un-attended cooking is surely valuable when out on the road !

Warm food is always welcome in cooler months, and possibility of using it with a solar cooker during the summer months is a super bonus !
Best
wheels

SilverVoyager said:
 Yesterday I cooked my first meal in it, seasoned and browned a whole chicken breast down, turned over and added wine and water, carrots and potatoes and cooked on medium low for about an hour.

I bet it was yummy.

Check out cowboyshowcase dot com look at the Chuckwagon section. Not yet able to post link for you. But getting close!

Also, there is a good you tube channel. It's a real cowboy, that cook's for some ranch out west. don't recall the name. But it's a good one!

blmkid said:
I bet it was yummy.

Check out cowboyshowcase dot com look at the Chuckwagon section. Not yet able to post link for you. But getting close!

Also, there is a good you tube channel. It's a real cowboy, that cook's for some ranch out west. don't recall the name. But it's a good one!

Kent Rollins Cowboy cooking.  I love his videos and his recipes.  His catfish fry breading is a great camp mix as no refrigeration needed if cooking fresh caught fish.  I attest to its yumminess when cooking halibut.  At the very end he fries whole new potatoes thinly sliced but not all the way through. 
https://kentrollins.com/

I recently came across this brand at the fair...EUROCASTUSA.COM. doesnt weigh a ton and cooks great. I really like the removable handle features on their pots/pans thats a plus when you are dealing with limited space.
LilNomad

Almost There said:
... It's also been put in to service for a salad bowl for a crowd and a mixing bowl...

You made me cry. I hope you're happy.

Haven't seen a single 'non-stick surface' that didn't come off in normal usage.

Gimme genuine old-school (ideally just old) cast iron every time, no coddling needed other than occasional re-seasoning when you screw up, NBD.

If you want really sticker shock, get genuine traditional Japanese.

I have a dutch oven on my "to buy" list.  I figure it would be a worthy addition to my utensils.  Bake bread , huh, HDR?  That's great.

Wabbit, really, it made you cry?  Are you feeling particularly emotional today?????   :D :p :s

Pat

... while I am a huge fan of cast iron dutch ovens - I do not think the enamel dutch oven will last long on the road.

yeah I should have said that. where I go enamel cookware does not last long, it chips. especially on washboard roads. I use just use the plain cast iron. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yeah I should have said that.  where I go enamel cookware does not last long,  it chips.  especially on washboard roads.  I use just use the plain cast iron.  highdesertranger

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at.  They have one at WallyWorld in the camping section for $17.82.  Maybe this payday.

Latest posts